08-05-09, 05:02 PM   #1
vAzNKNiGHT
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
A little input please :D [vAzNnUI Art - Dragons]

I just created this layout this morning, and I went ahead and uploaded it to WoWI for everyone to use. The layout can be found here.

Please take a look and give me some inputs so I can fix/enhance the layout.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_080509_061008.jpg
Views:	960
Size:	436.7 KB
ID:	3134  

Last edited by vAzNKNiGHT : 08-05-09 at 05:09 PM.

08-05-09, 05:11 PM   #2
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Looks very neat. Excellent images too. A bit to "busy" for my tastes though and I think I would spend more time viewing the image than actually playing, lol. It's almost like the Dragon is too vibrant/bright? It makes it standout far more than the rest of the imagery. All I think looking at the dragon is "oooh shiny!!" and I only want to look there, lol.
The way that the Belf to the right of the map frame is displayed seems to be a nice balance between visibility of the image and also not pulling your eyes away from the HUD area and your own toon.

And a personal note to all the Authors designing amazing layouts for nUI.....Great Work all around, you guys/gals do amazing things

08-05-09, 05:17 PM   #3
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I love the art in that... very well done.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

08-05-09, 06:05 PM   #4
vAzNKNiGHT
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Looks very neat. Excellent images too. A bit to "busy" for my tastes though and I think I would spend more time viewing the image than actually playing, lol. It's almost like the Dragon is too vibrant/bright? It makes it standout far more than the rest of the imagery. All I think looking at the dragon is "oooh shiny!!" and I only want to look there, lol.
The way that the Belf to the right of the map frame is displayed seems to be a nice balance between visibility of the image and also not pulling your eyes away from the HUD area and your own toon.

And a personal note to all the Authors designing amazing layouts for nUI.....Great Work all around, you guys/gals do amazing things
It's funny because I was just thinking about that before checking on the thread, and I went ahead and added some minor scanlines to the bottom panel. Not a very big change but hopefully that will lessen the distractions.

Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
Thanks, glad you like it, wouldn't be able to make it without nUI.

08-05-09, 06:23 PM   #5
Carz
nUI User-Supporter

This is nice ~just a little to much pop for me

08-07-09, 01:13 AM   #6
vAzNKNiGHT
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
I spotted the PSD file for the nUI logo on one of the other threads. I took it and edited a little bit to implement it with my design. Here's a screenshot of what I did, I'd like your say in it before I release it.

[Screenshot deleted]

Last edited by vAzNKNiGHT : 08-08-09 at 08:56 AM.

08-07-09, 04:59 AM   #7
spiel2001
nUI's Author

That looks very nice and I have no problem with folks tinkering with the logo... so please be my guest and post... and thank you very much for contributing to nUI's art!

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

08-09-09, 08:17 AM   #8
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

nice touch with the logo as has been said its a little busy but im looking foward to see more of your work

08-15-09, 02:34 PM   #9
vAzNKNiGHT
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by neuralassassin View Post
nice touch with the logo as has been said its a little busy but im looking foward to see more of your work
Thanks for the kind word.

I recently added a textured version of the panels, hopefully this will lighten the glare of the images a little bit.

08-19-09, 08:14 PM   #10
havoxx
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Mmm, been a while since I've visited the forums, been a bit busy...

In any case, Hey Vaz, I love that artwork, it's very well done, it is a bit busy, but that's not a bad thing, it's all dependent on taste. I do want to input as well, the art is just there, at least, as far as for my taste, there isn't any sort of border to lock the image in place.

08-22-09, 03:48 PM   #11
vAzNKNiGHT
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by havoxx View Post
Mmm, been a while since I've visited the forums, been a bit busy...

In any case, Hey Vaz, I love that artwork, it's very well done, it is a bit busy, but that's not a bad thing, it's all dependent on taste. I do want to input as well, the art is just there, at least, as far as for my taste, there isn't any sort of border to lock the image in place.
Thanks for the kind words.

My goal in making this layout was to use utilize transparency in my images. The initial idea was that I wanted to make the images seamlessly blend into the gaming environment wherever you go, but further testing showed me that it could get confusing since the panel is simply what it is: a controlling panel. Making it blend in too much with the environment will often time confuse players; since they're used to the action bars being generally distinct from the rest of the environment, this allow quick mouse-click when necessary on action buttons (some players don't always use hotkeys).

That being discovered, I thought it was back to the drawing board. But I decided to go with it, making the images blend into the environment, but not so much that they can potentially cause confusions. And the final product is what you see with my modified layout.

08-26-09, 05:36 PM   #12
depotstu
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker
So far this is my favorite backdrop. I actually love what distracts other people. The vibrant colors, the pop, the blending, lack of a definite border. I really hope you do some more.

08-26-09, 11:18 PM   #13
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I'm so totally the opposite lol. I need something light and unobtrusive to the eyes so that I can remain focused on the information that I need to see.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Customization » nUI: Customizing Layouts » A little input please :D [vAzNnUI Art - Dragons]