04-14-09, 08:45 AM   #1
elseer
Premium Member
Premium Member
Question Carbonite, Curse, Wow Matrix and keeping upto date

Hi All,

Up to now I've been using Wow Matrix to update my addons since it could handle multiple repositories (WowAce, Curse, Wow Interface, Individual websites) for addons. For understandable reasons, Curse and Wow interface just blocked Wow Matrix. This leaves me in a bit of a bind. You see, carbonite, like quite a number of addons, is not available on Curse.

I was wondering if the Carbonite authors could place CArbonite on curse (with pointers back to Wow Interface) so I can keep updated using only one updater?

Yours

Elseer R or whatever my name is today

04-15-09, 11:35 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I was going to link you to a thread on this subject, but it happens to be in the supporters forum. Instead, I will copy/paste my reply from that thread:

Add carbonite to your list of favorites here on wowi. Then go here: http://www.wowinterface.com/download...=modifyoptions and tell the site to email you if your favorites are updated.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-15-09, 11:38 PM   #3
Unbelievable
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

It probably wouldn't hurt Carbonite to be on multiple aggregator sites once they have the same level of "donate" presence that WowInterface provides (such as the popup layer that appears when you start to download a donation supported mod).

That said, stop being so damn lazy

04-16-09, 01:45 AM   #4
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by Unbelievable View Post
It probably wouldn't hurt Carbonite to be on multiple aggregator sites once they have the same level of "donate" presence that WowInterface provides (such as the popup layer that appears when you start to download a donation supported mod).

That said, stop being so damn lazy
I love the good friendly joking going on, and I agree - stop being lazy, I had to do it - you should too! :-)

When I think of it though... we're all lazy and want it easy, that's why we get this awesome mod. IT MAKES LIFE EASIER... well leveling/questing/gathering/PVP/etc. So I can understand where people are coming from wanting a one stop place to update everything - but I was and am a Carbonite supporter and I completely understand their plight with donations/contributions. Hopefully, like me, you all will just learn to be happy to have such a great mod and not worry about having to update this one mod via the site (Other than NUI, which I recently got, I use Curse auto-updater.)

05-07-09, 03:47 PM   #5
mjcobb22
A Defias Bandit
Exclamation why should i

this is nothing more than a company so what ever work something out. until i hear different questhelper here i come. why should i have to go through 4 diff updaters to get all of my addons updated or manually update 30 addons or pay 30 bucks a year for one that they didn't gimp to make a buck. i liked carb but i am not going to continue using something that only supports companies trying to make a quick buck. wowmatrix now host their own apps so where is your leech excuse now. but basically what ever, OUT!

05-07-09, 03:55 PM   #6
Torhal
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Cairenne, why can't I be uncivil?

Author of NPCScan and many other AddOns.

05-07-09, 04:08 PM   #7
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Because you know I expect better of you.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

05-07-09, 04:21 PM   #8
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

I want to be soooo "uncivil" here, but it probably won't matter because the guy most likely won't come back anyway... But ohhhh, it would be so satisfying....

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

05-07-09, 06:12 PM   #9
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Nobody expects anything good from me, so can I be uncivil?

05-08-09, 12:58 AM   #10
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by mjcobb22 View Post
this is nothing more than a company so what ever work something out. until i hear different questhelper here i come. why should i have to go through 4 diff updaters to get all of my addons updated or manually update 30 addons or pay 30 bucks a year for one that they didn't gimp to make a buck. i liked carb but i am not going to continue using something that only supports companies trying to make a quick buck. wowmatrix now host their own apps so where is your leech excuse now. but basically what ever, OUT!
I have always manually updated my addons and will continue to do so.

If the 1 minute it takes to update Carbonite once a month is not worth it to you, then please don't burden yourself. Forget addons. You could free up even more time by not running the game in the first place. Just think of all the other things you could be doing.

05-08-09, 08:08 AM   #11
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

Meh just do what I do with Carbonite.

Use it till the version you have breaks and refuses to work. Just ignore the please up date notices.

When you find you can't use it as it's breaking and throwing up big red errors all over the screen then go to :

http://www.carboniteaddon.com

Their official website to update it.

Personally I was able to use an older version for a while just by ignoring the "this version is out of date please update" notices. It was only when I wanted to see if the latest version had flight paths plotted on it that I upgraded (still haven't worked that one out esp for the little ebon blade death knighty one on the cliffs in the NW of ice crown , not the hold that little place where you go for the bone dragon quest chain)
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

05-08-09, 09:43 AM   #12
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by honem View Post
death knighty
/giggle

Sounds like some sorta DK lingerie

05-08-09, 12:39 PM   #13
mjcobb22
A Defias Bandit
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by honem View Post
Meh just do what I do with Carbonite.

Use it till the version you have breaks and refuses to work. Just ignore the please up date notices.

When you find you can't use it as it's breaking and throwing up big red errors all over the screen then go to :

http://www.carboniteaddon.com

Their official website to update it.

Personally I was able to use an older version for a while just by ignoring the "this version is out of date please update" notices. It was only when I wanted to see if the latest version had flight paths plotted on it that I upgraded (still haven't worked that one out esp for the little ebon blade death knighty one on the cliffs in the NW of ice crown , not the hold that little place where you go for the bone dragon quest chain)

thank you for not giving me some answer cut and pasted out of some FAQ or just saying "just do it manually". i looked at your email soultion i will try that and see if that works any better. btw sorry to all about my snippy post i had just been looking on here for a personal answer and everywhere i went (for some time) some one just posted strait from the faq or said "manually" so yes you being uncivil would be understood. it was just the way that curse and WI did it without any warning. they have lost my following, because curse had the worst manager i have seen and WI had none. then all of a sudden curse had a charge just after they killed their compitition. i shall go else where to find new addons. but your solution seems like it will work for me kinda "Automatic manual". i just hate to log in and then see a bunch of out of date messages and have to log out update then find my athenticator agian and log back in. so thanks for your input.

BTW you should really give your email solution url to more people here plenty of people i play with are starting to get (like me) tired of hearing the same pointless answers

05-08-09, 03:03 PM   #14
TiaMaster
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

This thread is disappointing and very sad.

I am assuming the rest of the addon authors who gladly make their addons easier to get are pathetic and lowly? Carbonite is for the "Elite" people who do everything manually and the hard way, uphill and backwards to show the world how things are REALLY done?

Seriously. A poster made a legitimate request...I do not understand this and have never seen it here before.

05-08-09, 08:35 PM   #15
Bluspacecow

thank you for not giving me some answer cut and pasted out of some FAQ or just saying "just do it manually". i looked at your email soultion i will try that and see if that works any better.
That's all right We wouldn't still be here if Caireen? (sp?) didn't want discussion on it. If they just needed an FAQ this thread would of been locked a long time ago. And yes from time to time a personal answer is good because you can direct someone to an FAQ but without pointing out exactly what you want them to look at it's not very helpful.

It was just the way that curse and WI did it without any warning. they have lost my following, because curse had the worst manager i have seen and WI had none. then all of a sudden curse had a charge just after they killed their compitition.
My friend you need to understand that they've been trying to work with WM for over a year now. None of the information I've bee able to glean was in locked member only forums - they would of been easily found if people looked.

I think Seerah posted this before but they couldn't afford to give too much notice of the block. If they had announced this say a week out it might of given WM the time to overcome the block and their servers would of melted down on patch day. The extra bandwidth bill would of been horrendous which is especially trying in these tougher economic conditions.

And the Curse Premium thing , I think they could of had a little better timing with that. Every user of the Curse Client has had a notice come up when they installed it that the service was only a preview of the premium service which would eventually get taken away when the premium service went live. I have a PPC mac so I don't have a screenshot to share but it's what the Curse admins are saying - people were warned back in September that it was going to a premium service. Curse should not of come out with it so soon after the WM block IMHO (I'm a Curse/WI supporter btw). Announcing at the time they have has blinded some people to the real issues involved (not a personal dig)

i shall go else where to find new addons. but your solution seems like it will work for me kinda "Automatic manual". i just hate to log in and then see a bunch of out of date messages and have to log out update then find my athenticator agian and log back in. so thanks for your input.
The out of date messages only really happen after a major patch. I have a vast variety of popular addons on my watch list. Only 1 comes up with an annoying "this addon is out of date please update" message. Carbonite.

BTW you should really give your email solution url to more people here plenty of people i play with are starting to get (like me) tired of hearing the same pointless answers
I have it as my signature on most every forum I post to about wow and addons. I pimp it any chance I get.

Thing is people need to wean themselves off updating every single day. They need to rid themselves of the notion that they need every single update that comes out otherwise zomg they'll get red errors in the middle of a Maly raid. I can't think of any raid addon that (a) needs updates every single day (b) can wipe a raid or is supper essential that you can't turn it off and continue raiding.

Once you free yourself from these 2 silly notions then updating your addons becomes something you do not every day but every week to 2 weeks. And because you don't do it very often it becomes something that doesn't take you very long at all (I use it as an excuse to get a StarBucks Hot Choclate mmmmmm)
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

05-09-09, 09:52 AM   #16
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I said "I have always manually updated my addons and will continue to do so.", which in reality actually takes very little time, because I only do it once every 2 or 3 months. Usually when Blizzard releases a patch that breaks one of them. As honem said, you do not have to constantly be updating addons. I have updated addons and had them working worse than before due to a new bug. If it is not broke, then why mess with it.

I use Auctioneer. I do not know if they put out a new version. When a patch breaks it or I notice a feature not working the way I want, I go to their website and see if a newer version is available. When I get it working again, I go about my business and do not even think about getting a newer version.

I still have not updated CT Mod, since the 2 parts of it I use continue to work by clicking "Load out of date" AddOns". Someday I will grab a new one from their website, but not today.

When we release a new Carbonite version it is for a good reason. Almost every version has at least one bug fix. We do not change the color of something and throw out a new one, since we do not want people getting update messages for trivial reasons.

05-09-09, 02:11 PM   #17
Spahut
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
I said "I have always manually updated my addons and will continue to do so.", which in reality actually takes very little time, because I only do it once every 2 or 3 months. Usually when Blizzard releases a patch that breaks one of them. As honem said, you do not have to constantly be updating addons. I have updated addons and had them working worse than before due to a new bug. If it is not broke, then why mess with it.
This is exactly what I think as well. But its not what people are being taught be "support" staff. They always want you to update the latest of everything.

Man: Suddenly when I turn left on that corner the game crashes.
Support: Have you installed the latest graphics drivers?
Man: No. But does that fix the problem?
Support: You should always install the latest graphic drivers.
Man: But do you know that they are the cause of this problem?
Man: grumble installs new drivers
Man: Game still crashes when I turn that corner.
Support: Have you installed the latest sound drivers?
Man: What!
Support: You should always install the latest sound drivers.
Man: But does that fix the problem?
Man: But do you know this fixes the problem?
Support: We can not solve this if you don't do as we say. Please install the latest sound drivers.
Man: grumble - installs new sound drivers
Man: It still crashes when I turn left around the corner!
Support: Have you defragged your hardrive lately?

Anyway - bring back Chuck!

05-09-09, 02:22 PM   #18
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Spahut View Post
This is exactly what I think as well. But its not what people are being taught be "support" staff. They always want you to update the latest of everything.

Man: But do you know that they are the cause of this problem?
Man: grumble installs new drivers
Man: Game still crashes when I turn that corner.
Support: Have you installed the latest sound drivers?
Man: What!
Man: But does that fix the problem?
Man: But do you know this fixes the problem?
Support: We can not solve this if you don't do as we say. Please install the latest sound drivers.
Man: grumble - installs new sound drivers
Man: It still crashes when I turn left around the corner!
Support: Have you defragged your hardrive lately?

Anyway - bring back Chuck!
Being one of the regular volunteers on the tech support forums, I have to disagree with that analogy in regards to this topic. Even the most seemingly trivial things must be checked and/or updated when it comes to troubleshooting errors either caused client side (the customer) or game client side.

Having said that.... not quite sure how your analogy fits into the addon updater topic, but am curious to learn if you wish to explain.

05-09-09, 04:36 PM   #19
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
As has been mentioned in other threads where this analogy is made (tech support telling people to update stuff), it actually supports the notion that if you aren't having problems, then don't worry about it. If you know you are having issues/bugs with something, *then* get the latest versions to see if it fixes things *before* reporting it.

But also, as Silenia pointed out, addons cannot cause harm to your computer, etc if they do bug out anyway. Kind of apples to oranges.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

05-09-09, 05:18 PM   #20
Bluspacecow

Originally Posted by Spahut View Post

Actaully IMHO this support person is reading from a script. A truly great support person would be like

"Well there is a known problem with people who have ATI Radeon cards. It started occuring in version 3.8 of the drivers and ATI have put out an update to version 4.3 that is meant to fix the problem. Can you try updating to version 4.3 (sends link). If not we can try a roll back to version 3.8"

Thing is you ring support when there is a problem. Something's going wrong you want them to fix it.

The consequences of not doing so when you have a problem with your computer can be dire and at the very least disruptive. The problem's disrupting your work so you want to get it fixed right away.

Ok following my logic so far ?

Now what is the consequences of not updating your addons every day ? You might have problems. You might get red errors coming up on your UI , parts of your UI may not work , you might get really bad lag , you might even get disconnected from the game. It won't mean your addons will suddenly start sending all your gold to gold seller or delete items in your bag.

Now what If you aren't seeing any of these problems ?
What if your UI isn't having any problems and is operating perfectly fine ?

If your UI isn't broken and isn't causing your any problems then you should be able to afford not to update for a while.

That's what I'm getting at here - the state your UI is in should be the major factor on how often you update.

Of course. If one of your addons is causing a problem then you fix it. If your UI is spraying red errors on the screen then seeking updates in usaully a very good step you can take as often bugs are fixed in a later build.

But if you haven't changed anything on your UI and everything's working fine then you should not have to update at all.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite, Curse, Wow Matrix and keeping upto date