08-15-09, 08:57 AM   #1
neucleus
A Kobold Labourer
Wtf

Big carbonite fan but with the latest patch I have downloeded the new version and can not get it to work. I run windows vista and have followed the DL instructions. Going as fare as reloading carbonite at least 6-8 times and still can not get it to work. I have it in the wow/interface/addon folder.
I have tried extracting it to that location and I have tried to extract it to wow/interface/addon/carbonite making a carbonite folder for its final destination but in either way with or with out the carbonite folder it still does not work. When I open the game addon folder from the character screen I see carbonite there and it is enabled but when i log into a toon all I get is errorrs

08-15-09, 12:43 PM   #2
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Post your full install path you use for addons. On Vista the location is generally different.

08-15-09, 01:42 PM   #3
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by neucleus View Post
When I open the game addon folder from the character screen I see carbonite there and it is enabled but when i log into a toon all I get is errorrs
And does it say "Carbonite 3.21" in the addon list? If not, then you are unzipping to the wrong location and still running the old version, which is not compatible with patch 3.2 and making errors.

The properties of the WoW shortcut you launch the game with will show you the correct path of the game, which is where you should be unzipping the files to.

Typical locations for the AddOns folder:

Windows XP: "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns"
Windows Vista: "C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns"
Mac: "Machintosh HD/Applications/World of Warcraft/Interface/AddOns"

After install you would have 3 folders:

World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Carbonite
World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\CarboniteNodes
World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\CarboniteTransfer

08-16-09, 09:26 AM   #4
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Another point: The path for any addon ends "/interface/addons/addonname". The client scans the addons folder, and notes the "addonnames". Then it looks in each "addonname" folder, expecting to see two things: an "addonname.lua" file, and an "addonname.toc" file. If it doesn't see both of those files at that level in the folder hierarchy, it won't load the addon. That's why the common error "/interface/addons/carbonite 3.21" won't work - because the files WoW needs to see are an extra level lower (e.g. "/interface/addons/carbonite 3.21/carbonite/carbonite.toc") in the hierarchy, and Wow doesn't look down that far.

08-16-09, 11:28 AM   #5
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
(only "addonname.toc" is needed)
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-17-09, 08:34 AM   #6
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Right, only "addonname.toc" is needed for the client to recognize that there's an addon. "Addonname.lua" is where the code is - if that's not there, the client will register the addon, but it won't actually do anything.

08-17-09, 09:07 AM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
No, it doesn't have to be called "addonname.lua", it could be called "l33tcodez!.lua" or there could be no lua file at all, with all of the code in an .xml file.

Anyway, enough off-topic.

Should be World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Carbonite\Carbonite.toc
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-17-09, 11:38 AM   #8
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
code in an .xml file
Yep code could be in xml and the toc list no lua files at all.

08-18-09, 05:08 PM   #9
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Okay, I sit corrected.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Wtf