04-21-11, 03:43 AM   #1
crowds
A Defias Bandit
Question Tracking Health of a Boss

Hi

Im pretty new (ok completely) to lua. Although I do have a background in In PHP, XML,HTML and Actionscript.

Im looking for a way to track the health of a Boss but i need to do it in such a way that the health can be tracked even if the Unit is not targeted. Also without the unit being set as /focus. The reason being in a lot of encounters is there are adds to deal with and targets can change. Also healers like to reserve (at least i do) /focus for the tank.

I guess I need a way to monitor a NPC on combat start till combat end independant target or focus. Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Cheers
Jim
04-21-11, 03:47 AM   #2
nin
A Cobalt Mageweaver
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You use standard ui or any other uf addon?

Most uf addons these day feature a boss frame, it's even there in the default ui afaik?
04-21-11, 04:40 AM   #3
crowds
A Defias Bandit
I use tukui, which does have a boss frame. But im after a way of triggering an event when the boss health reaches say 15-20% and so do really want to rely on having to keep an eye on the health of the boss frame.
I presume if wow can create a boss frame with or without it being targeted the there is a way of monitoring its health.
Instead of say: local health UnitHealth("target") would it work if I used the boss name : local health UnitHealth("General Husam")... but how could i automaticaly get the boss name without targeting it ?

like... on_combat_start getbossname() type thing
04-21-11, 05:53 AM   #4
Olog
A Murloc Raider
I believe you can simply do UnitHealth("boss1")
04-21-11, 10:54 AM   #5
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
What you are suggesting is not (entirely)possible. It would be possible to create a frame with a statusbar after you target a mob and using the combat log to track HP using GUID, but it won't be possible to click them, as targeting requires a unit.

There is a reason why getting the health of a mob requires a unit. The function name even suggests that it requires this: "UnitHealth('target')"

Getting the name of a boss can be done with UnitName, respectively.

IIRC, Tukui by default has boss frames built into the UI.

Last edited by ravagernl : 04-21-11 at 10:57 AM.
04-21-11, 11:36 AM   #6
Duugu
Premium Member

Originally Posted by mrruben5 View Post
but it won't be possible to click them, as targeting requires a unit
afaik boss1-bossx (4?) is valid unit id.

[E]

"bossN" The active bosses of the current encounter if available N (1,2,3 or 4). (Added in 3.3.0)

http://www.wowpedia.org/UnitId
04-21-11, 12:13 PM   #7
hankthetank
A Theradrim Guardian
Use bossN as suggested. Track event INSTANCE_ENCOUNTER_ENGAGE_UNIT and verify that boss1-MAX_BOSS_FRAMES exists to see if an encounter is in progress (show your frames) otherwise the boss died (hide them). On receiving ZONE_CHANGED_NEW_AREA during encounters the boss fight has ended due to zoning. On engaging register UNIT_HEALTH and check for bossN. There you can ascertain the health by using UnitHealth("bossN"). Unregister the event when the encounter has ended.

Last edited by hankthetank : 04-21-11 at 12:30 PM.
04-25-11, 03:10 AM   #8
crowds
A Defias Bandit
Thanks for the replies everyone, some food for thought there. will have to look into in further tonight.
04-26-11, 01:12 AM   #9
ravagernl
Proceritate Corporis
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Duugu View Post
afaik boss1-bossx (4?) is valid unit id.

[E]

"bossN" The active bosses of the current encounter if available N (1,2,3 or 4). (Added in 3.3.0)

http://www.wowpedia.org/UnitId
I was referring to this post
Originally Posted by crowds View Post
I use tukui, which does have a boss frame. But im after a way of triggering an event when the boss health reaches say 15-20% and so do really want to rely on having to keep an eye on the health of the boss frame.
I presume if wow can create a boss frame with or without it being targeted the there is a way of monitoring its health.
Instead of say: local health UnitHealth("target") would it work if I used the boss name : local health UnitHealth("General Husam")... but how could i automaticaly get the boss name without targeting it ?

like... on_combat_start getbossname() type thing

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Tracking Health of a Boss