02-27-12, 12:27 AM   #21
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Talyrius View Post
I have eye exams regularly to help stay on top of my prescription. I'm 25 right now though, so I'm not exactly looking forward to old age.
I'm 27. I just had an eye exam last week, and the prescription for my left eye is still exactly the same as it was when I was 17. My right eye, unfortunately, has gotten about 25% worse.

Originally Posted by Wimpface View Post
Your nameplate font isn't the same as your unitframe font.
In addition to fixing the font used for unit names in the 3D world, you might also consider using two fonts in your UI: one for short pieces of text such as on unit frames, and a more easily readable one for longer areas of text such as chat and tooltips.

A couple other things I noticed in your latest screenshot:
  • The buff icon to the right of your target frame needs to be shrunk down by a few pixels so it lines up with the target frame properly.
  • The mostly-empty green bar in the center just above your action bars needs to be moved up a few pixels, leaving a gap equal to that between the lower action bar and the info bar thing.
  • The combat icon doesn't really match the pixellated style of your UI. You might consider making your own custom texture without gradients or anti-aliasing.
  • The icons on your scrolling combat text should have an outline to match. This may require modifying your combat text addon.
  • The count text on your buffs is cut off by the edge of the screen. Move the buffs down, or move the count text inside the icon.
  • The LFG icon inside your minimap looks very strange and randomly placed. Consider moving this to the info bar, and replacing the icon with text.
  • I agree with previous posters that the glossy effect on the action buttons does not match the pixel style.
  • The info text at the top of the screen looks orphaned. Consider putting it inside an info bar, like the one underneath your action buttons.
  • Finally, make sure that everything around the edges of the screen is the same distance from the edges of the screen. There's more space to the right of your minimap than above it, for example, and more space below your chat frame than to the left of it.
02-27-12, 02:35 PM   #22
Kendian
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
In addition to fixing the font used for unit names in the 3D world, you might also consider using two fonts in your UI: one for short pieces of text such as on unit frames, and a more easily readable one for longer areas of text such as chat and tooltips.

A couple other things I noticed in your latest screenshot:
  • The buff icon to the right of your target frame needs to be shrunk down by a few pixels so it lines up with the target frame properly.
  • The mostly-empty green bar in the center just above your action bars needs to be moved up a few pixels, leaving a gap equal to that between the lower action bar and the info bar thing.
  • The combat icon doesn't really match the pixellated style of your UI. You might consider making your own custom texture without gradients or anti-aliasing.
  • The icons on your scrolling combat text should have an outline to match. This may require modifying your combat text addon.
  • The count text on your buffs is cut off by the edge of the screen. Move the buffs down, or move the count text inside the icon.
  • The LFG icon inside your minimap looks very strange and randomly placed. Consider moving this to the info bar, and replacing the icon with text.
  • I agree with previous posters that the glossy effect on the action buttons does not match the pixel style.
  • The info text at the top of the screen looks orphaned. Consider putting it inside an info bar, like the one underneath your action buttons.
  • Finally, make sure that everything around the edges of the screen is the same distance from the edges of the screen. There's more space to the right of your minimap than above it, for example, and more space below your chat frame than to the left of it.
Good suggestions all =) The text up top is in about the best place I can put it, if I stretched and put it into bar mirroring bottom it would run into buffs up top, and have a hidden bar on bottom, under action bars that contain mounts, foods, etc. The in combat text IS a custom made panel, using same font as UF, haven't figured out how to put one on target frame yet, lol. As for moving text from above buffs, that bothers me, as well, but they're your addon (PhanxBuffs), and I cant figure out where to edit to move count inside or below buff >.< Plus if anyone can point me in the right direction to call text, instead of LFG eye, I would greatly appreciate it, would rather have text for that as well as difficulty flag. This is an updated pic, showing some of these suggestions in effect.
Edit: I apologize for screenie quality but had to change to png then back to jpg so it would be small enuf to upload >.<
Also, I use Miks combat text, so no clue whatsoever where to add an outline to icons, I would LOVE to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saron.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	6797  

Last edited by Kendian : 02-27-12 at 02:42 PM.
02-28-12, 11:02 PM   #23
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Kendian View Post
As for moving text from above buffs, that bothers me, as well, but they're your addon (PhanxBuffs), and I cant figure out where to edit to move count inside or below buff >.<
Buffs.lua, lines 99-101:
Code:
	button.count = button:CreateFontString(nil, "OVERLAY")
	button.count:SetPoint("CENTER", button, "TOP")
	button.count:SetShadowOffset(1, -1)
The middle line (the one in yellow) is the one you would need to change to move the count text.

You'll find similar (if not identical) lines in Debuffs.lua and Enchants.lua if you want to modify those as well. Nearby lines affect the position of the timer text.

The in combat text IS a custom made panel, using same font as UF, haven't figured out how to put one on target frame yet, lol.
I was talking about the "crossed swords" icon on the target frame. It's the default "in combat" icon, so that's what I assumed it was indicating there.

You removed the screenshots from your previous post, so I can't look back and see if there's something else that may have been confused here.

Also, I use Miks combat text, so no clue whatsoever where to add an outline to icons, I would LOVE to.
MSBT... so much code to search through... good luck.
02-29-12, 05:02 AM   #24
Kendian
A Molten Giant

Worked Like a charm, thanks, lady.
I haven't removed any screenies, but am going to try an amended script so I can change the targets combat status, I agree, the crossed swords throws off the whole rhythm. As far as MIk's yes......LOTS of code, lol. I could alwmost swear there was a forum post about outlining icons tho... Anyhow, my thanks, as always, lady, for taking the time to respond ~
03-05-12, 08:05 AM   #25
Kendian
A Molten Giant

Working out the kinks, I believe it's actually getting much closer to Ideal for me.
I forgot to turn of boss frames in Stuf, of course, and REALLY need to figure out how to outline icons in MSBT. Also, need to figure out where to put the 'hidden' bar at bottom, am trying really hard to get use to keybinds and just 2 action bars, but being a 'clicker', it's hard, lol.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LFR.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	6801  
03-09-12, 01:11 PM   #26
Kendian
A Molten Giant

This what it looks like when I try to use a regular (non-pixel) font. It didn't always. I'm trying to figure out why... Ive tried my 8x multisampling, tried no outline, with outline thinoutline, still looks smudgy. Or it does to me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chat.png
Views:	657
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	6810  
03-18-12, 02:16 PM   #27
Kendian
A Molten Giant

This is what I ended up with. I'm pretty satisfied with it, I think. C&C/Suggestions needed~
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Final mebbe.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	6822  
03-18-12, 02:32 PM   #28
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Looking good. Is that Pixel Arial I see?

A few suggestions:
  1. Move the rep bar to an Info bar on the bottom. Plenty of space down there, and simply showing a X% Rep is more than enough.
  2. The transparency of the bottom Info bars feels conflicting with the rest of the UI, but I'm not sure whether I'd make them completely opaque. Maybe just less transparent with the same background texture as other status bars.
03-18-12, 02:38 PM   #29
Kendian
A Molten Giant

Yes it is. I may >.> <.< or may not have found it in a copy of RealUI.
I have been changing the info bars opaqueness around, as well. I can't really seem to find the 'perfect' setting~
03-18-12, 03:20 PM   #30
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Well, personally I'd get rid of the background on the Info bars.
03-18-12, 04:04 PM   #31
Kendian
A Molten Giant

I tried that first, actually. But that font, on my monitor, looks really bad without a background...the outlinemonochrome, just fills the text, instead of outlining it. It has something to do with how I've modified sStats, but haven't been able to pinpoint, and fix yet~

Last edited by Kendian : 03-18-12 at 04:07 PM.
03-21-12, 12:15 AM   #32
lerb
A Frostmaul Preserver

I tried that first, actually. But that font, on my monitor, looks really bad without a background...the outlinemonochrome, just fills the text, instead of outlining it. It has something to do with how I've modified sStats, but haven't been able to pinpoint, and fix yet~
Have you tried using Thinoutline as fontflag for your chattext instead?
03-21-12, 07:32 PM   #33
Kendian
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by lerb View Post
Have you tried using Thinoutline as fontflag for your chattext instead?
I have, but there is no difference from OUTLINE, It's really kind of aggravating. I can have multi-sampling and anisotropic turned all the way up, and it
MAKES
NO
DIFFERENCE.

Which is why I use pixel fonts. I would rather use Neuropol, or Xenara, they're both my personal faves, but they just look smudged, unless I have them set at 18 or above

Last edited by Kendian : 03-21-12 at 07:38 PM.
03-21-12, 07:35 PM   #34
Nibelheim
local roygbi-

Yep, just the reality of outline on normal fonts.
03-22-12, 06:39 AM   #35
Kendian
A Molten Giant

Had to go with pixel for chat, but it's not too bad, I think I got them all to match, for once. Not sure if I'm going to change nameplates, which is why is a non pixel font. Suggestions/C&C welcome, please~
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DK Setup.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	6829  
03-22-12, 07:12 AM   #36
lerb
A Frostmaul Preserver

Had to go with pixel for chat, but it's not too bad, I think I got them all to match, for once. Not sure if I'm going to change nameplates, which is why is a non pixel font. Suggestions/C&C welcome, please~
This might be sounding like no big deals, but I'm gonna throw it out there anyways :P

It seems to me that your castbar isn't centered, it looks like it's a bit to much to the left. Am I wrong? My eyes might be tricking me.

Another thing that really isn't a big thing is the buffs, they should be placed one pixel higher to match the top border of the minimap imo
03-22-12, 10:36 AM   #37
Paolo242
An Aku'mai Servant

I like those nameplates a lot. Which ones are they?
03-22-12, 02:14 PM   #38
Kendian
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by Paolo242 View Post
I like those nameplates a lot. Which ones are they?
Dnameplates http://www.wowinterface.com/download...amePlates.html with a diff font and texture. Background visibility has been lowered, as well~
04-07-12, 04:14 AM   #39
Kendian
A Molten Giant

Been playing around (again) with a panel UI. Let me know what you think, please~
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WoWScrnShot_040712_061928.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	6882  Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_040712_062448.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	6883  

Last edited by Kendian : 04-07-12 at 04:36 AM.
04-07-12, 04:37 AM   #40
unlimit
Lookin' Good

I'm going to go back on subject for this thread: Without.

>.> The panels are REALLY bulky and distracting.

kúdan: im playing pantheon
JRCapablanca: no youre not
** Pantheon has been Banned. **

Last edited by unlimit : 04-07-12 at 04:48 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » UI Screenshots, Feedback and Design Discussion » With or without