09-26-09, 07:23 PM   #1
blademage727
A Fallenroot Satyr

Minimap Button Bag Issue

Ok, so there's an addon called Pocket Menagerie, which has a frame with all your companion pets together (so you don't need to flip pages) and also allows you to set 10 favorite pets that will be easily accessible from a bar that appears after hovering over the addon's main button.

I have made a mount version called Pocket Stable, and have been made an author/manager of Pocket Menagerie as well.

Yesterday I started working on making versions of the addons which, instead of using a moveable button that is similar to any action bar button, uses a minimap button. I feel it's a much cleaner method. After having spent all yesterday and today getting it working, I've found that one of the issues I've been having is caused by nUI, either directly or indirectly.

Without nUI enabled, the buttons work fine, be it on their own or using the Minimap Button Frame addon. However, with nUI enabled, whenever the minimap button bag is open, the two buttons show up around the minimap, but are completely unresponsive to the mouse/pointer interaction.

I saw a thread earlier about a similar issue with Dag{something}, however I do not want these buttons to be excluded from the bag. Is there any way to fix this error so that they are collected correctly?

If needbe, I can put a zip of my addons up on my site so that the coding can be checked to see if some setting needs to be changed slightly to make them compatible with nUI.

P.S. I just wanted to add, the buttons were being collected correctly at one point, but there were a lot of other issues with the addons that weren't working. Shortly after starting work on fixing the other issues, they weren't being collected correctly anymore and after having gotten the addons working as intended, I can no longer remember the exact change that broke the bag compatibility, if there was a specific cause.

09-27-09, 07:41 AM   #2
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This kind of problem is usually related to tying the OnUpdate or OnEvent methods to the minimap button frame for the addon. Because the minimap button bag is hidden when the bag is closed, the minimap buttons in the bag are also hidden. Because they are hidden, Blizzard does not call their OnUpdate or OnEvent methods.

It is wiser to tie the OnEvent and OnUpdate methods to a separate frame that is parented by the WorldFrame. That way they always execute regardless of whether or not the minimap button is visible.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

09-27-09, 01:11 PM   #3
blademage727
A Fallenroot Satyr

So I tried what you suggested, but it didn't seem to work. If you could look at the coding that'd be great. I'll put them up on my site right now and message you the urls.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » Minimap Button Bag Issue