06-30-11, 04:49 PM   #1
mootallica
A Murloc Raider
Ideal Carbonite BG Settings?

I would really like to use carbonite for BGs. Any suggestions on an ideal way to set it up for this? I have no need for any of the amazing questing functions, but I LOVE using the map to view where my teammates are. How can I do this?

07-03-11, 11:13 PM   #2
Beachcomber1
A Murloc Raider
I came to these forums looking for the same thing.

In general, I found the addon very bloated. It tries to take over a lot of different things.

I just want to enable it for the battleground minimap, nothing more.

At one point I did have it working, but the minimap decides to keep this huge version of the map that you have to scroll around, instead of being able to scale it to a certain size and just lock it. I've spend a couple hours messing with this addon trying to fix it, and it seems I just have to reset the settings entirely and try again.

Wish there was a "bare minimum pvp map setting" that we could just check, or even a separate module that provided this only. It's such nice info to have for rated battlegrounds. I used the old Battlefield Commander 2 addon's map for years before it finally broke for good for Cata, that is all I am looking for.

07-04-11, 06:00 AM   #3
Chmee
A Molten Giant
What's wrong with Blizzard's default BG map?

FWIW, I use nUI as the basis for my UI. It has a small area at the bottom right of the screen called the "info panel". Here, by default, are a couple of different things: a "map" panel which contains the BG map and the combat log. I use Skada, and nUI automatically puts a panel in for that. There's one for Carbonite, too. You can't see more than one of these things at a time, but when I'm in BGs, I don't use the carb map, I use the BG map. When I'm in instances, I have skada at the forefront, unless I'm healing, in which case it's VuhDo. When I'm travelling or questing, it's Carbonite. Works for me, anyway.

07-04-11, 08:27 AM   #4
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Beachcomber1 View Post
I came to these forums looking for the same thing.

In general, I found the addon very bloated. It tries to take over a lot of different things.

I just want to enable it for the battleground minimap, nothing more.

At one point I did have it working, but the minimap decides to keep this huge version of the map that you have to scroll around, instead of being able to scale it to a certain size and just lock it. I've spend a couple hours messing with this addon trying to fix it, and it seems I just have to reset the settings entirely and try again.

Wish there was a "bare minimum pvp map setting" that we could just check, or even a separate module that provided this only. It's such nice info to have for rated battlegrounds. I used the old Battlefield Commander 2 addon's map for years before it finally broke for good for Cata, that is all I am looking for.
This is a direct "copy-n-paste" (except I add some color to highlight various parts) from the "CarboniteReadMe" file that is included in every installation of Carbonite and can be found in your main Carbonite folder at "Path to your WoW folder\Interface\AddOns\Carbonite\CarboniteReadMe.txt":
-- Map

Left Click and drag to move the map around inside the window
Roll your mouse wheel to zoom in/out at the current mouse position on the map.
Pressing M will toggle the map between normal mode and full-screen mode.

The size, position and settings for the map are saved. These settings are also saved independently for each battleground.

The "Follow You" option is on by default for the normal map. As you move about, the map will adjust to keep you in the center of the screen. Various battleground maps have this setting off by default as you will typically want to view the entire map and not have it scrolling as you move.

The map has two additional fade settings. These control the transparency level of the map itself and can be adjusted by Right Clicking in the map window title.

The map title shows the zone you are currently in, your map coordinates and your movement speed as a percentage of normal walk speed.

The map tooltip will show you the level range of the map and is color coded based on faction (Yellow = contested, Green = friendly, Red = enemy)

Party/Raid members will show up as blue dots on your map. Friends and guild mates running Carbonite will show up on your map as yellow and green dots respectively. Other Carbonite users in your zone will show up as gray dots on the map.

The tooltip of any Carbonite user on the map will show you their coordinates, health, target name and target health. Right Clicking their icon will allow you to whisper, retrieve quests and GOTO them.

For users wishing to see your original map, it is accessible by pressing ALT+M.
This might also be of interest:
-- Map Menu

Right Clicking a non icon area of the map will show the main map menu.

"Goto" - Sets a point on the map, which the map and HUD will track. Map moves and scales to keep both you and the goto visible.
"Clear Goto" - Clears all gotos from the map.

"Add Note" - Sets a note for the click location in a folder with that zone name in the Favorites window. It will be shown on the map when that zone is selected.

"Save Map Scale" - Saves (remembers) the current map scale (zoom level). A keybinding can be set to do this.
"Restore Map Scale" - Sets the current map scale to the value that was previouly saved. A keybinding can be set to do this.

"Follow You" - If on, when you move or turn, the map will scroll to keep you in the center.

"Select Cities First" - Changes how cities are selected when you mouse over the map. It will select the zone, like Terokkar, first instead of the city Shattrath. Mostly useless. Someone was having a problem with tring to select a zone and it was added.

"Monitor Zone" - Makes you join that zone channel even if you are not in the zone, so you can see players and get punk info from the zone. Useful if you think a punk moved to another zone or to expand your punk detection.
I highly suggest that any Carbonite user reads this file. It will give you a lot of information about what Carbonite does and how to set it up.

Oh, and this might be a bit "picky", but about the maps: Carbonite has one map and it is either maximized (large, like Blizzards World Map) or minimized (minimap sized but NOT the minimap). Blizzard gives us three maps: The Minimap (found in the upper right corner of your screen), the World Map (the big map) and the Zone (sometimes referred to as the Battleground) Map. A technicality, to be sure, but it occasionally helps to use the correct terms when explaining something.

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 07-06-11 at 08:25 AM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Ideal Carbonite BG Settings?