11-17-10, 12:33 AM   #1
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Critique Needed

Obviously, I would ask maybe DA (DeviantArt) or somewhere else for critique but you need a premium membership at DA to ask for critique so I might as well post it here. I need... well... critique! On this drawing I'm doing. It is wow related... but yeah... I figured It went into the Chit-Chat Forum lol..

Thanks again! Any and all critique is welcome, as long as it is constructive!

edit - I didn't state it was a work in progress, sorry lol

(fake edit - Would also like to have critique on her armor, and what kind of armor should she wear? She's a Priest I guess.. )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Draenei Wip.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	5253  

Last edited by Ferous : 11-17-10 at 02:11 AM.
11-17-10, 01:17 AM   #2
Xubera
A Cobalt Mageweaver

i like the detail in the horn.

And she's missing her belly button :O someones /dance emote which is belly dancing, needs a belly button

she kinda feels, i unno, flat to me, but other than that. looks good

edit:
yeah thats what feels flat.
she has lighting effects on her bust that gives her depth, and then below the neck, she kinda goes flat. but im not art expert, thats just what i see
keep up the nice work

▲ ▲ WoWInterface wont let me triforce >.>
11-17-10, 02:06 AM   #3
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Well... I'm not done yet :P But, I am planning on finishing her, was kinda wanting critique on the non finished product before I finish her.. I feel something is off is why I was curious as to what she looked like from other points of views :P Thanks though
11-17-10, 02:31 AM   #4
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

If I were to state what immediately draws my eye in a negative sense it would be the horn to our left. Something about it being that exposed just seems to scream "HEY OVER HERE!!".

Also, I'm not sure if its due to the shading not being done but her facial features don't quite seem to line up with where her head appears to point. The horns suggest looking straight forward (evenly sized and showing the same "facing" if that makes sense) but her eyes nose and mouth appear to indicate looking slightly to our left.

Those are what immediately jumps out at me. Hope that helps.

All said and done it has nice potential. Can't wait to see the final product.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
11-17-10, 02:46 AM   #5
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
I see what you're saying... Lighting.. I'm not great at lighting lol but I'll try to fix it Again, I'm not nearly done! This is probably going to take me like... a week or longer... but I'm very much looking foward to finishing it, and this would be the longest art project I've ever done.. ever! lol

Thanks again for feedback.

-edit - What tier should I put her in? You think t5? What other tier would look good with a draenei? Thanks again.

edit x 2 - What background do you think would look good with her as well? Thanks again! lol
11-17-10, 03:46 AM   #6
nin
A Cobalt Mageweaver
not sure what software and workflow you got (looks like illustrator or photoshop with pentool) but go wild .. look at all the tier's and try out wich one you like the most. i would prob pick one that would fit the dranei colorwise.

I'd personally go for either arena season 2 look, tier 3 or devout.

Are you using any reference?, the head is a little off by the left horn. the eye's and the nose is slightly off aswell.. should be more centered in the face.

Im very picky though, i draw myself.

Good luck!
11-17-10, 12:03 PM   #7
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Originally Posted by nin View Post
not sure what software and workflow you got (looks like illustrator or photoshop with pentool) but go wild .. look at all the tier's and try out wich one you like the most. i would prob pick one that would fit the dranei colorwise.

I'd personally go for either arena season 2 look, tier 3 or devout.

Are you using any reference?, the head is a little off by the left horn. the eye's and the nose is slightly off aswell.. should be more centered in the face.

Im very picky though, i draw myself.

Good luck!
I am not using a reference :O Not for the face that is... most of it is from mind, the tier of course has a reference :P
11-17-10, 01:41 PM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Yeah, my eyes were drawn to that left horn first, too - specifically that line separating her horn from her head. Next, I noticed how her breasts are two different sizes, off-center, and seem to be sticking out from her sides.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

11-17-10, 02:19 PM   #9
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Yeah, my eyes were drawn to that left horn first, too - specifically that line separating her horn from her head. Next, I noticed how her breasts are two different sizes, off-center, and seem to be sticking out from her sides.
I've never been good with breasts... lol

Here's an update on the face... still a work in progress, i realize the neck is a bit off

I don't want to change the left horn, because thats how I want the hairstyle to be... like the ingame one! But, I guess I can make it more subtle? Idk lol
11-17-10, 02:37 PM   #10
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Ferous, ya know I love ya... But until you are ready to work on the sheathed weapon hilts to either side of her head... I hope it's not just me seeing what I'm seeing...

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
11-17-10, 02:39 PM   #11
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
Ferous, ya know I love ya... But until you are ready to work on the sheathed weapon hilts to either side of her head... I hope it's not just me seeing what I'm seeing...
.... It's tier 5 lol

http://www.wowhead.com/item=30154#.

:P
11-17-10, 03:21 PM   #12
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Ferous View Post
.... It's tier 5 lol

http://www.wowhead.com/item=30154#.

:P
Ah, ok. It's supposed to look like... that. I guess I'm a dirtier old man than I thought...

Well, ok then... Other than the big... things... on her shoulders I think it's looking great!

11-17-10, 10:43 PM   #13
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Well... since the overwhelming response from the... shoulders ... lol on various places I asked critique for, I decided to change the shoulderpads.

11-17-10, 11:12 PM   #14
Ither
A Firelord

Her boobies appear to be... rather.... *wide*

11-18-10, 12:33 AM   #15
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by Ferous View Post
Well... since the overwhelming response from the... shoulders ... lol on various places I asked critique for, I decided to change the shoulderpads.
Overwhelming? Me? Guess I really am an army of one!
Anyway, those shoulders look a lot less.. I mean they look more... Awww crap, they just look better!

Originally Posted by StormCalai View Post
Her boobies appear to be... rather.... *wide*

"Boobies"? Really? Are you 5?

(I keed! I keed!)

11-18-10, 02:32 AM   #16
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Originally Posted by voodoodad View Post
Overwhelming? Me? Guess I really am an army of one!
Anyway, those shoulders look a lot less.. I mean they look more... Awww crap, they just look better!

"Boobies"? Really? Are you 5?

(I keed! I keed!)
No, I asked critique from MMO champion as well as my guild forums.. and well.. they all said the same thing! Lol, you're not the older dirty man! :P
11-18-10, 04:07 AM   #17
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
If the site ever comes back up ( ) studiommo!

<3 that site
11-18-10, 04:48 AM   #18
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
If the site ever comes back up ( ) studiommo!

<3 that site
..... its not up! What was it about?! Lol now I'm curious :O
11-18-10, 05:52 AM   #19
Ferous
Sheer Sense of Doom
FINE! The bust is fixed. :P Err. I only hope lol

11-18-10, 12:46 PM   #20
Sec
A Cyclonian

IMHO, her right horn (left as seen by viewer) still looks awkward. Since the horn literally grows out of the head, having the separating line between temple and horn as well as the wisps of hair above her ear make that right horn look like it has been stuck on. Maybe make that line a bit thinner? It's a tricky spot ^^" Perhaps consider adjusting how the hair wraps around her right horn. Beyond this, consider shaving down the base of both horns so that they do not appear to extend (horizontally) past her head; I believe they should taper a bit more.

Here's a couple of screenshots from WMV to provide some reference. I have hidden the model's hair so her horns are better seen. I hope this helps some!

I've gotta say, I love the texturing on the shoulders - having a Draenei priest myself who's wearing them, I just have that much more of a positive reaction to seeing such game models being picked.

Keep up and at it - looking good so far!

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Critique Needed