03-25-10, 04:38 AM   #1
hornedhalo
A Kobold Labourer
Chat channels

Carbonite keeps giving me the message that i can only use 10 chat channels and stops me from interacting with npcs, i can't use the esc button functions, and my frineds say i am logged out but i can still move around. It does this whether i have any other addon enabled or disabled. What have I cone wrong. I have unchecked the box to add social page but still am having this problem and I love carbonite. I will be lost without it.

03-25-10, 06:18 AM   #2
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

What versions of Operating System, Carbonite, and also of WoW do you have?

03-25-10, 05:45 PM   #3
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I use Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit on a laptop with integrated graphics (as opposed to a separate graphics card). WoW and Carbonite are both up to date.

I had the exact same problem just the other night. It went to the extent that the only way I could exit WoW was to "crtl+alt+delete", start the "Task Manager" and close WoW that way. However, I restarted WoW and everything was just fine. Everything worked the way it was supposed to, so I just went on figuring it was. somehow, something I did. Guess I wasn't alone.

03-26-10, 03:34 PM   #4
fyrefrost
A Kobold Labourer
10 channels at one time error

<Carbonite keeps giving me the message that i can only use 10 chat channels and stops me from interacting with npcs, i can't use the esc button functions, and my frineds say i am logged out but i can still move around. It does this whether i have any other addon enabled or disabled.>

I have this problem too - carbonite adds channels to my chat window beginning with "CRB", I get the same error, this raises my latency to about 15k every time I log on, I have to go "leave" those crb channels. Is there anyway to disable that feature?

Thanks! I love carbonite, and I am lost without it!

Fyre

03-26-10, 09:17 PM   #5
Thiok
A Kobold Labourer
keeps opening multiple crb chat channels

Same problem today. Never happened before the mini-patch.

I had up to 8 crbnnn channels opened. At some point, I cannot log out without task manager and terminate wow.exe

03-26-10, 10:35 PM   #6
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Yep, just happened to me again. This time, it happened after I used Option House to change an addon, and reloaded the UI. I could move around, but that's about it. I tried to cast a self buff, and my character went through all the motions, and the graphics did their thing, but it was endless. It never "fired". I couldn't even make my character sit in a chair. BUT, I could move around. Then I had to use the Task Manager to get out of the game. After I was back on my desktop, I restarted WoW and everything worked just fine. Weird, huh.

03-26-10, 10:50 PM   #7
Chmee
A Molten Giant
If I remember correctly, what I noticed about this plethora of carbonite comm channels thing is that it tends to happen when the client-server connect is bogged down, and responses don't get back and forth in a timely manner. The root cause can be a problem in the client, a problem in the server, or a problem in the 'net itself. I don't know which it is right now, but it's certainly happening - it's why people are stuck at the login screen for great lengths of time, or have to "force quit" the client to get out of the game. In such a case, it's unlikely to be a problem soluble by addon authors.

03-27-10, 09:31 PM   #8
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

OK. Thanks, Chmee, that kinda makes sense. The timing just seems odd. The first time it happened I was on a quest and from fighting one mob to the next, WHAM! Not working correctly. I didn't mean to imply an addon made it happen, those were just the circumstances at that time.

03-31-10, 01:32 PM   #9
mystaken1
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
If I remember correctly, what I noticed about this plethora of carbonite comm channels thing is that it tends to happen when the client-server connect is bogged down, and responses don't get back and forth in a timely manner. The root cause can be a problem in the client, a problem in the server, or a problem in the 'net itself. I don't know which it is right now, but it's certainly happening - it's why people are stuck at the login screen for great lengths of time, or have to "force quit" the client to get out of the game. In such a case, it's unlikely to be a problem soluble by addon authors.
if this is so then why did these annoying custom chat channels only start appearing AFTER Carbonite gets installed and why do continue to open after Carbonite has been uninstalled?

04-01-10, 02:03 AM   #10
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Because 1. Your WoW client is not going to start spontaneously creating chat channels — the addon creates the channels, and 2. I don't know, but I imagine that once the chat channels are created, the client is somewhere keeping information about those channels, and recreating them even after carb is uninstalled.

04-01-10, 05:09 AM   #11
Ezmaralda
A Fallenroot Satyr

Exclamation same here

It cleared up [i thought] after i did a full reinstall/ repair, then it happened again last nite. i have windows vista home premium 32 bit, Wrath, and the latest version of Carbonite. thanks

04-01-10, 10:02 AM   #12
Xye
A Murloc Raider
Chat Channels Major Problem

Originally Posted by hornedhalo View Post
Carbonite keeps giving me the message that i can only use 10 chat channels and stops me from interacting with npcs, i can't use the esc button functions, and my frineds say i am logged out but i can still move around. It does this whether i have any other addon enabled or disabled. What have I cone wrong. I have unchecked the box to add social page but still am having this problem and I love carbonite. I will be lost without it.
I have the same problem and when it makes several channels (above 10) its a game crash. Vista 32bit.

Anyways, I did find out how to get rid of those channels. it's under the privacy options. Check mark dont want to know about updates and others in zone. the chat channels then disappear.

So sad that I won't be using these 2 utilities because of a major bug

07-25-11, 03:17 AM   #13
lolzorz
A Defias Bandit
I had this problem tonight while tanking the new boss in BH 10, and it happened both times within a few seconds of the pull (causing 2 wipes and group fell apart). After googling the problem and finding the solution elsewhere, I thought I'd post here. Much like Xye, my problems went away after unchecking all the boxes in the Privacy and Communications tab in the options menu.

Other than this issue, I've had very few problems with Carbonite. Love the addon and will continue using it. Thanks guys!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Chat channels