09-05-11, 12:28 PM   #1
Mossclaw
Premium Member
Premium Member
Looking for RP chat mod

What I want:

1)To target another player
2) command line indicate to mod (so I can keybind it) that I'm going to engage in RP
3) have the mod capture target name and create a separate window
a) that has that target's chat alone in it
b) that allows that target's chat to also show in the main general chat window as usual
4) show my chat in both windows as well.
5) spawn as many windows as indicated
6) advanced feature - add targets to window that has focus for group RP

Basically a WIM for Chat that creates windowed conversations, with the exception of continuing to display things in the general chat tab.

If anyone knows of an existing mod that does this - shout out.

If the lua gurus know that this cannot be done - let me know and why.

T.I.A.
09-05-11, 01:21 PM   #2
Waky
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Mossclaw View Post
Basically a WIM for Chat that creates windowed conversations, with the exception of continuing to display things in the general chat tab.
I believe there's an option in WIM to shut off filtering from chat, A.K.A. don't hide whispers even if they're in a window, if that's what you're looking for.
09-05-11, 02:05 PM   #3
Mossclaw
Premium Member
Premium Member
Originally Posted by Waky View Post
I believe there's an option in WIM to shut off filtering from chat, A.K.A. don't hide whispers even if they're in a window, if that's what you're looking for.
No, that's not what I'm looking for. Let me try to clarify it; on re-read it is confusing if you are not me. ~.^

So imagine this: I see Waky and I want to RP with him. I target him. While targeted I type: /rpchat init. On my screen a window comes up. I type: /s Hi Waky! This shows up in that window and in my default UI chat window. You type: /em smiles broadly /s Mossclaw! Greetings! This shows up in that window and in default chat. A third RPer sees us and types: /s Hey guys! This does not show up anywhere but the default UI chat window. If I want to add him to my RP group, I'd target the new guy and type: /rpchat add1 or somesuch and so on.

I hope this explains what I need more clearly. I think you can pull things into separate tabs already in the default UI - but doesn't it pull it completely out of chat, and is cumbersome to set up? This would automate that process (which I don't actually know) and give it a cool window.

This is to help RPers when there is a large gathering with the chat window scrolling like a bucking bronco. Also would assist RPing with those who imbed emotes in /s and vocalizations in /em.
09-05-11, 05:17 PM   #4
Phanx
Cat.

You can accomplish that without any addons at all. First, create your RP channel by typing:

/join NameOfNewChannel

Then, whenever you want to invite someone to your RP channel:

/invite 5 %t

... where 5 is the number of your channel.

You can create multiple channels, and add/remove as many people in each channel as you like, without the need for anyone to have a specific addon installed.
09-05-11, 06:15 PM   #5
Mossclaw
Premium Member
Premium Member
Phanx - My understanding of Channels is that they are like scalable whispers. If I use a Channel, it will remove the ensuing conversation from the public eye. This defeats the purpose of RP.

Thank you for your suggestion. Let me know if I misunderstood anything.
09-06-11, 05:04 PM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

So you just want some way to duplicate messages from certain people in specific chat windows?
09-06-11, 11:36 PM   #7
Mossclaw
Premium Member
Premium Member
Yes! Exactly.

Would have been much better to phrase it that way in the first place, but I was thinking on how it's used, rather than how it would be programed. Apologies.

Then, if I can capture and copy to a window in real-time, I'd like to wrap that ability with point and click indications as to what player's messages to send to that window.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Looking for RP chat mod