05-28-14, 01:11 AM   #1
fuggleme
A Kobold Labourer
How to load profile from main account into starter account?

So, the last time I played WoW was in 2011. I haven't touched it since then, and now I'm thinking of getting back into it. But first, I want to try it out before I commit the cash to it, so I'm going to use the 10 day free trial of MoP to do that. Before I activate that and start the timer running though, I want to get all of my addons in working order using the starter account so I can maximize my actual time playing in the 10 day trial.

My question is, how do I load my settings from toons on my main account into the starter account? I have my interface and wtf folders from my main account, and I used the Curse client to update all of the addons that I could. But when I look into the profile options, my main toons don't appear. I tried copying the SavedVariables folder and all of the other miscellaneous files from both

\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\<Main Account>
and
\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\<Main Account>\<Main Server>\<Main Toon>

into

\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\<Starter Account>
and
\World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\<Starter Account>\<Starter Server>\<Starter Toon>

respectively, but that doesn't work. Would my settings from that long ago even be recognized still? Anyways, thanks for any help. I know it's not realistic to expect my settings from 3 years ago to carry over, but it would be nice if they did. I'd grown really attached to my UI and I can't imagine living without it.

Last edited by fuggleme : 05-28-14 at 01:41 AM.
05-28-14, 11:10 AM   #2
MiRai
A Warpwood Thunder Caller
Copying files and folders around like that works just fine -- I do it all the time --- But I think you already know what the likely issue is...
Originally Posted by fuggleme View Post
I know it's not realistic to expect my settings from 3 years ago to carry over, but it would be nice if they did.
Honestly, I wouldn't expect many add-ons (or settings) from three years ago to work correctly, or even load at all, unless they were incredibly simple.
05-28-14, 11:41 AM   #3
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Assuming the addon either still works or has been updated for 5.4 and asuming it doesn't use scripted elements that might contain changed, deprecated or no-longer-used API calls, then the WTF setting(s) should still work as well (unless an addon has been completely re-written).

In the main (account\Username)SavedVariables folder many of the settings (.lua files) will use a Profile for each character rather than a single set of settings for all characters. Some will have the profile and each character will have a profileKey naming the profile to use for a given character (usually in the form of [character name - realm] = "profile"). Any addon that has a setup window most likely will also have a mechanism to choose a profile for your character.

Make a copy before playing with the files, or better yet, make several copies .

Last edited by Fizzlemizz : 05-29-14 at 12:25 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » How to load profile from main account into starter account?