03-21-13, 08:03 PM   #1
Kreelor
A Firelord

Are the remaining POI's still on the list?

Reference: "A spot to discuss code changes moving forward, as well as feature requests."

I'm still wondering whether or not the remaining POI's are still on Rythal's list of things to complete, and if so, is there some vaguely estimated date? From the 'Description' of the Carbonite addon, it's supposed to display everything on its map(s) that the Blizzard mini-map displays. But, there are still many icons not showing on the Carbonite map(s), and many of the Flight Master icons are not located where the FM's are actually standing.

I spent over 3 hours today in Pandaria trying to find simple things like a Forge, A Repair NPC, Fishing Trainer, etc. (on foot and horseback, since my char is only lvl 85 and cannot fly in Pandaria). I had to get face-to-face with every NPC in every hut, village, town, and city just to find out where certain NPC's were located. It was my first visit to Pandaria since I only recently purchased the expansion. It's frustrating without POI's on my maps to indicate where to travel to instead of roaming aimlessly throughout all of Pandaria's areas.

So, I'm still hoping Rythal has this issue on his huge list of things to do. POI's on Carbonite's maps are indespensible to fluid game-play. Heh heh.

05-06-13, 11:32 AM   #2
Kreelor
A Firelord

This was never answered.

05-06-13, 12:12 PM   #3
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'm working on it now, Completion date I won't give (as I don't know myself.....)

Check it out here... http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=46388

Could you list the flight masters that need fixing? I can remember a few, but it helps to have more people looking out as well.

*edit. It doesn't look like Carbonite has a database of repair NPC's.

Last edited by JimJoBlue : 05-06-13 at 01:11 PM.

05-15-13, 02:48 PM   #4
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by JimJoBlue View Post
Why not? Those used to be visible in the Carbonite maps.

05-15-13, 10:49 PM   #5
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
dunno why not, when I did the conversion it was empty, and no refrences in the guide for repair so I removed it.... the original authors must of had a reason.

05-16-13, 01:48 PM   #6
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
dunno why not, when I did the conversion it was empty, and no refrences in the guide for repair so I removed it.... the original authors must of had a reason.
I assume, and I would imagine that most other Carbonite users would assume that having Repair npc's shown on the Carbonite maps would be quite beneficial.

And, I have to mention the others which aren't shown, like Trainers (Fishing Trainers, etc.). Shouldn't those be visible on the Carbonite maps, as well?

Note: I'm referring only to the released version, since I don't rely upon beta versions, etc.

Edit:
The original developers no longer come into play, now that you are enhancing their product into one which should be more inclusive, without knocking out their original Carbonite addon qualities. Some of their tools are what sold me (and maybe others) on Carbonite in the first place.

Last edited by Kreelor : 05-16-13 at 01:51 PM.

05-20-13, 10:38 AM   #7
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

Could you list the flight masters that need fixing? I can remember a few, but it helps to have more people looking out as well.
This was never answered.

It seems that all you do is complain... When given the option to actually help out you ignore the request and find something else to complain about...

You have lost all respect that I have given you in the past and now I will ignore all further posts made by you.

05-20-13, 12:43 PM   #8
Kreelor
A Firelord

This was never answered.

It seems that all you do is complain... When given the option to actually help out you ignore the request and find something else to complain about...

You have lost all respect that I have given you in the past and now I will ignore all further posts made by you.
No doubt, I have complained. Yes, I have pointed out things that were either incorrect or missing. Most often, my intent has been to bring attention to various things I keep noticing in hopes of helping to improve the Carbonite addon; not merely complaining for the sake of complaining.

You said you've given me the option to actually help out. Were you referring to the various segments of code such as the ones you've been compiling recently, example: "Could you list the flight masters that need fixing? I can remember a few, but it helps to have more people looking out as well."

If so, I haven't seen your list of "Flight Masters," but I did see one about "Flight Trainers." REFERENCE, your post #23 http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...3&postcount=23 which you wrote on May 14, 2013.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how to do the coding that you and others understand so well. How can then produce lists like yours when I don't know how to code? My way of 'helping' was pointing out things that still remain missing and/or are still incorrect, merely so that you coding experts can either add them to your 'list of things to do', or dismiss them altogether!

My 'negative' tone is usually the result of frustration. I have apologized before, and so now, I apologize again. I love this addon, and I have great respect for all of you who know how to design and/or fix things. Over many years, I've posted on this/these forums to offer, in some small way, my "help", (even though I've been 'negative' way too often)! From now on, I'll just remain silent. God bless you all.

05-20-13, 01:01 PM   #9
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

I apologize for my last post.. I was trying to goad you into a response... (it worked... ) I actually meant none of it...

A simple list of the location of the flight master and a co-ord would suffice...
Example: this is the list I am making while playing:-
Code:
burning steppes flightmaster, 46.1,41.8 - not 46.1,43.7
burning steppes flightmaster, 17.8,52.8 - not 16.5,52.8
darkshore fm 51.7,17.6 - not 51.6,19.9
winterspring fm 61.0,48.6 not 61.0,49.7
You can get the co-ord by standing on top of the flightmaster and looking at the top of the Carb minimap.

You can do the same to anything else you may have seen "misplaced"

The reason you have not seen a flight masters "list" is that I have not made it yet... I don't see the point in making a completely new list if I can edit the old one.. (That and I've not got to it yet... it's also different to the other lists)

*edit, Oh by the way.. What I'm doing is nowhere near coding.... It's nothing like what Rythal is doing. The closest thing you could call what I am doing is "database entry"

Last edited by JimJoBlue : 05-20-13 at 01:30 PM. Reason: added stuff, moving it around so it makes sense

05-20-13, 03:29 PM   #10
WOWVern
A Cyclonian
Database entry and .lua coding are different beasts. One is a language (code), the other is not.

07-25-13, 05:41 AM   #11
Kreelor
A Firelord

I'm working on it now, Completion date I won't give (as I don't know myself.....)

Check it out here... http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=46388

JimJoBlue,

I have already completed almost every single Flightmaster icon throughout the entire game's maps. I've updated the Flightmaster.lua with new coordinates (denoting their true locations). I have only a few left to finish for the Alliance. I haven't yet begun the Horde Flightmasters. The highest level Horde char I have is only 67, so it may be tricky for me to get to some of the places I need to get to. Revising the Horde Flightmasters is my next phase. No ETA on its completion since I don't know the issues I might encounter getting to some of those FM's, yet.

07-27-13, 02:47 PM   #12
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Kreelor View Post
JimJoBlue,

I have already completed almost every single Flightmaster icon throughout the entire game's maps. I've updated the Flightmaster.lua with new coordinates (denoting their true locations). I have only a few left to finish for the Alliance. I haven't yet begun the Horde Flightmasters. The highest level Horde char I have is only 67, so it may be tricky for me to get to some of the places I need to get to. Revising the Horde Flightmasters is my next phase. No ETA on its completion since I don't know the issues I might encounter getting to some of those FM's, yet.
I've finished every Alliance Flightmaster in the game which I could do. There's only a few of them that either didn't exist or else I couldn't get to them.

For example (Alliance): I couldn't get to "Vashj'ir", or to "Zul'Aman, Ghostlands", and this single one I couldn't find: "Dun Niffelem, The Storm Peaks"?

If anyone cares to provide coordinates for each of those, I'll add them to the list.

EDITED: I'm doing it the way JimJoBlue suggested. Examples below:
REVISED COORDS: ["0,806,57.0 44.0"]="The Arboretum, Jade Forest", -- Not ["0,806,58.03,45.08"]
BLIZZARD DEFAULT OK: ["0,807,20.19,58.56"]="Stoneplow, Valley of the Four Winds",

Today, July 27, 2013 I began on the Horde Flightmaster icons.

Last edited by Kreelor : 07-27-13 at 02:52 PM.

07-27-13, 08:46 PM   #13
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

To be honest you don't have to add the "-- Not ["0,806,58.03,45.08"]" to the end of the line as we can compare the 2 files and see the changes that you have made..

Assuming you are just changing the co-ords and not writing a completely new file...

I'll try to swing by the locations that you can't reach next time I am in game and see if the fm's line up..

Edit: or are you just making a list that can be used to edit the flightmaster.lua?

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=32571 <-- flight master in Dun Niffelem, The Storm Peaks. I think you need rep to unlock him though. (which my main has...)
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=24851 <-- flight master in Zul'Aman, Ghostlands
I'll have to look closer at the fm in Vashj'ir as one of them unlocks after 100 or so quests there...

Last edited by JimJoBlue : 07-27-13 at 09:03 PM.

07-28-13, 09:21 AM   #14
Kreelor
A Firelord

To be honest you don't have to add the "-- Not ["0,806,58.03,45.08"]" to the end of the line as we can compare the 2 files and see the changes that you have made..

Assuming you are just changing the co-ords and not writing a completely new file...

I'll try to swing by the locations that you can't reach next time I am in game and see if the fm's line up..

Edit: or are you just making a list that can be used to edit the flightmaster.lua?

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=32571 <-- flight master in Dun Niffelem, The Storm Peaks. I think you need rep to unlock him though. (which my main has...)
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=24851 <-- flight master in Zul'Aman, Ghostlands
I'll have to look closer at the fm in Vashj'ir as one of them unlocks after 100 or so quests there...
JimJoBlue, I really appreciate this reply from you! It's good news to me. I'm glad you volunteered to help complete the list .

Originally, I was making "just a plain .txt list," but since then I've been doing it another way which seems much better. Here's how I'm doing it now. Note: the way I'm doing it now won't even require opening and comparing two separate lists; comparison can be done within the one single lua file I'm working on.

-- I made a duplicate copy of the Flightmaster.lua file, placed it into a new Windows folder named "Working" and renamed the file. It's still a ".lua" file. I'm using Notepad++ to do all editing.

-- Within my working .lua file I'm updating coord's when they need updating and also adding comments preceding each line to indicate whether or not that line is "BLIZZARD DEFAULT OK", or if that line includes "REVISED COORDS".

Example of just a very few lines so that you can see what I mean.

Code:
BLIZZARD DEFAULT OK: ["1,101,37.43,71.60"]="Thargad's Camp, Desolace",
REVISED COORDS: ["1,101,64.6,10.5"]="Nijel's Point, Desolace", -- Not ["1,101,65.37,10.44"]
REVISED COORDS: ["1,121,46.7,45.3"]="Feathermoon, Feralas", -- Not ["1,121,46.81,46.33"]
REVISED COORDS: ["1,121,50.2,16.7"]="Dreamer's Rest, Feralas", -- Not ["1,121,51.22,17.62"]
BLIZZARD DEFAULT OK: ["1,121,57.03,53.89"]="Tower of Estulan, Feralas",
BLIZZARD DEFAULT OK: ["1,121,77.23,56.77"]="Shadebough, Feralas",
BLIZZARD DEFAULT OK: ["1,141,67.46,50.40"]="Theramore, Dustwallow Marsh",
BLIZZARD DEFAULT OK: ["1,161,40.09,77.43"]="Gunstan's Dig, Tanaris",
BLIZZARD DEFAULT OK: ["1,161,51.38,29.43"]="Gadgetzan, Tanaris",
REVISED COORDS: ["1,182,60.5,25.3"]="Talonbranch Glade, Felwood", -- Not ["1,182,60.97,25.32"]
BLIZZARD DEFAULT OK: ["1,241,44.28,45.34"]="Nighthaven, Moonglade",
All of my preceding comments (the ones in CAPS) allow me and whoever wants to verify my changes to see which lines I've completed and/or which lines still need to been done. Those comments can be eliminated easily with Notepad++. Note: The list (above) doesn't show any lines which I haven't completed. It shows only lines which I have completed.

I hope this helps. BTW, I've already got a good start on the Horde FM's. All the Alliance ones are done, except for those few you said you might take a look at.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I appreciate your help. I'm hoping I'm doing this correctly.

Last edited by Kreelor : 07-28-13 at 03:10 PM.

07-28-13, 07:40 PM   #15
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

Well, there is only one way to test it...

Delete the BLIZZARD DEFAULT OK and REVISED COORDS at the beginning of the line to keep the formatting of the file and try it out...

Do backups and stuff so that you can quickly revert if it goes wrong.. and let us know if what you have so far works..

REMEMBER If the format is not the same as the original then it will throw errors at you...

08-01-13, 11:58 PM   #16
Kreelor
A Firelord

comparing 2 files to see editing changes...

A slightly off-topic issue.

JimJoBlue, I read the documentation provided with Notepad++ and I could not find out how to compare "before" and "after" documents, side-by-side. I spent hours experimenting! Hence, that's why I annotated my lua document code with notes. Note: I removed those notes from the beta version I uploaded.

What I presumed to find was "highlighted" text in one edited document indicating differences between itself and the other original document, even after a session of editing was closed, and upon reopening the two documents. Is that how it's supposed to work? What am I overlooking in the process, please?

08-03-13, 06:41 AM   #17
JimJoBlue
An Onyxian Warder

To compare files, go to the plugins and select compare.
Then have the original file in one pane and the one you want to compare in the other.. it will highlight the differences for you.

It should look like this:~

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Are the remaining POI's still on the list?