08-02-09, 02:40 PM   #1
Sychosys
A Defias Bandit
Carbonite + Quest Helper

Well I am a multi-boxer and Quest Helper's party quest tracking has saved me from missing turn ins and pick ups with slave characters more than once. To that end I am fairly set on using QH for keeping track of my quests. What I would like to do however is get it to play nice with Carbonite's map which I am in love with as well. I have Carbonite set up to emulate TomTom and QH set up to use TomTom Way Points. This gives me the same setup as just Carbonite in appearance but using QH to direct me from quest to quest.

What is missing though and what I would like to replace is the full pathing of Quest Helper. Having it use TomTom just shows me the 'closest' quest which is not always the one I want to be doing because of its only the closest if I am never getting a new quest, hehe. Secondly, I am partially colorblind. This makes the blending that carbonite does with its 'do the quests here' zones well, not so useful if I get a bunch of quests in one area.. and isnt that the entire point of leveling faster? What I would like is to find a way to use QH's pathing and zone layouts and ants and such (Despite linking Carbonites graphcis for them better) on the map. I feel this is all just One issue as QH treats them all as a single thing.

Is there a way to do this or am I forced to have to give up Carbonite?

08-02-09, 03:03 PM   #2
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Sychosys View Post
Well I am a multi-boxer and Quest Helper's party quest tracking has saved me from missing turn ins and pick ups with slave characters more than once.
Have you tried hitting the white (top right) radio button in the quest tracker yet? Mouseover the button and you'll see

Last edited by Vis : 08-02-09 at 03:06 PM.

08-02-09, 03:36 PM   #3
Sychosys
A Defias Bandit
I have hit just about every button I could find and every check box I could check, hehe. This is more of an all or nothing sort of deal, the quest zones and complete mapping are large parts of it as well, not just better display of how many out of my party have the quest completed.. though that is also a handy thing Right now I am toying with Cartographer 3, seems to work nicely with Quest Helper but no mini map integration (Bleh) so I have to have two maps open if I go this way.... Unless I can hide all the crap around it and just put it semi transparent over the other map.. or something I dunno.. I just wish it would work. It seems like I can not find one addon that actually does it all, or even a set of addons that I can get to do it all!

08-02-09, 05:55 PM   #4
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

You can also go into the options screens and change the Quest area colorings.

Options > Quest, scroll down a bit and you can click on the different color headings to change them to a more visible shade for you.

08-02-09, 06:43 PM   #5
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The white button at the top of the Quest Watch List enables party questing, which is on by default. When on, that sends quest status between party members, which if they has Carbonite will cause it to show extra data in the Watch List and on the map.

On the Quest page of the Options window you will find the total colors to use (default 12) and 12 color settings. You can change any of them.

09-09-09, 07:51 PM   #6
c71clark
A Murloc Raider
Been browsing pages looking for this issue, but this is the first I have heard anyone else asking about pathing.
Quest Helper will route you through each step in the travel needed to get you from point A to B. It will point you to a Flight Point you know, a dock where you will catch a boat/zeppelin, or the border between 2 zones. It's actually pretty good at it, but I love Carbonite's map and interface. I have looked and looked, but I do not see this functionality in Carbonite. Is this sort of travel pathing in Carbonite, or does Carbonite integrate with Quest Helper so I can use the 2 together?

09-09-09, 07:55 PM   #7
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by c71clark View Post
Been browsing pages looking for this issue, but this is the first I have heard anyone else asking about pathing.
Quest Helper will route you through each step in the travel needed to get you from point A to B. It will point you to a Flight Point you know, a dock where you will catch a boat/zeppelin, or the border between 2 zones. It's actually pretty good at it, but I love Carbonite's map and interface. I have looked and looked, but I do not see this functionality in Carbonite. Is this sort of travel pathing in Carbonite, or does Carbonite integrate with Quest Helper so I can use the 2 together?
If you have about 12 gigs of ram and a 5 gigahertz processor, go ahead and use them both, but I'm thinking Carb does all of that stuff on its own.

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn

09-09-09, 08:27 PM   #8
c71clark
A Murloc Raider
Well, thats the thing. I dont see anywhere inside of Carbonite to turn on the same kind of travel routing that QH does. Where is it?

09-09-09, 11:10 PM   #9
Jigain
A Molten Giant

It's in a nifty checkbox disguised with the name "Use Travel Routing".

Where it is, I don't remember. It's somewhere in the options - just look around and you'll find it.

09-10-09, 05:20 PM   #10
c71clark
A Murloc Raider
I've checked every option I can access from the context menu you get when right clicking the map. More than once. It's not there. As far as I can see, the same kind of multi-step path planning/guide tool that QH uses is not available in native Carbonite. I didn't post this without looking first.

If I want to go from Rebel Camp, Stanglethorn to Redridge, QH will guide you automatically through each leg of the journey, be it a known flight point, or a zone border entry, or a boat/zeppelin. With Carbonite, so far, It will put a line of arrows in a straight line from Rebel Camp to Redridge, leaving me to poke around to find what flight point I can use, or what boat I need, etc.

It's not a huge deal I guess. QH only uses about 16mb memory, about twice or so what carbonite uses, so it's not like I cant. I just like Carbonite enough to wish the 2 could work together.

09-10-09, 08:11 PM   #11
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Have you checked off this box as highlighted in the screenshot and posted above? You can find it in the Options menu, not the right click context menu. The standard Options menu can be accessed by typing "/carb options" in the chat box or by right clicking one of the Carb windows and choosing Options from there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoWScrnShot_091009_221017.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	385.1 KB
ID:	3360  

Last edited by Vis : 09-10-09 at 08:16 PM.

09-11-09, 04:38 AM   #12
Garonne
A Fallenroot Satyr
I regularly have one problem about the party questing feature in Carbonite:

When questing with some friends I often start racing for quest items / quest NPCs which I don't have quests for, but some guy (or girl) in my party does. Is there any way to move party only quests to the bottom of the quest list? Especially some way to make Carbonites Auto Tracking option NOT selecting these Quests and making these quests more easily detectable (different colouring)?

09-11-09, 05:30 AM   #13
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Garonne View Post
I regularly have one problem about the party questing feature in Carbonite:

When questing with some friends I often start racing for quest items / quest NPCs which I don't have quests for, but some guy (or girl) in my party does. Is there any way to move party only quests to the bottom of the quest list? Especially some way to make Carbonites Auto Tracking option NOT selecting these Quests and making these quests more easily detectable (different colouring)?
You may want to post this suggestion/idea in it's own topic. It would definitely get more visibility that way.

The only way to tell them apart at the moment that I've noticed/payed attention to, is that the other persons Quest has their name next to it in the Quest Tracker. So if one of their Quest Objectives is closest, you'll see "Quest Title - Party Member Name"

09-15-09, 06:30 AM   #14
Garonne
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
You may want to post this suggestion/idea in it's own topic. It would definitely get more visibility that way.

The only way to tell them apart at the moment that I've noticed/payed attention to, is that the other persons Quest has their name next to it in the Quest Tracker. So if one of their Quest Objectives is closest, you'll see "Quest Title - Party Member Name"
Yeah, thanks. I started a thread in the Supporters-Board. Maybe the developers might pick it up. I also added some ideas on how to solve it. I'm not sure if they are easy to implement, though.

Haven't bothered with writing addons on my own yet (nor with figuring out how it would happen to work).

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite + Quest Helper