01-11-07, 08:55 PM   #1
Skan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Who is the hungriest addon of them all?

I've been fiddling around with my current and ever expanding amount of addons in my addons folder for some time now trying to reduce my memory usage in-game. So far I have switched many of my addons to ace2 alternatives, and I seem to have had increased framerate, but the memory usage still stays pretty static at about 44MiB - 70MiB.

Using performace-fu I can do a garbage collection, which takes it all back down to 44MiB, but then it steadily climbs back up to around 70 within the hour.

I'm wondering if there is any way of telling which of your addons is using the most memory, and which one is causing memory to be consumed at an ever increasing rate? I know that certain addons DO cause increased mem usage without having to consult a chart, but as always, those ones are the addons you need most.

As an example: I've been toying with changing my unit-frames addon from X-Perl (which is awesome!) to ag_unitframes. I've installed ag_uf on a couple of toons, but left X-Perl on some of the others. What I can't decide is this - using ag_uf means I then have to install a bunch of other ace2 (sRaidframes, Squishy, oRa etc etc) adds to make up for the features lost in the x-perl package, thus making me think that running x-perl or ag_uf eventually ends up with about the same amount of memory used when you take these factors into consideration.

I'd like a bit of feedback if possible as I'd really like to get my memory usage as low as possible without losing too many features. I guess what I really want to know, so I can do it myself, is how to work out how much memory each addon is using.
01-11-07, 09:06 PM   #2
Diurnos
A Cyclonian
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
download warmup and type /warmup ingame then you get a list with what addon consumes what memory.

Basicly it would help more if you post your addon folder, i think you have something like lootlink or auctioneer or so that causes your high memory usage.
01-11-07, 09:57 PM   #3
Quokka
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
the most memory consuming at this moment is:

SecureUnitWatchFrame (while raiding - no addon built in by blizz)

Right now Prat uses loads off memory
*ChatFrame1 11.4 KiB (mem/sec) - default channels
*ChatFrame2 9.6 KiB (mem/sec) - whisper, guild, raid, battleground

hope this helps

my mem starts around the 27mb after 10 min it's up to 45mb
loading it without prat shows a start of 23mb

list of used addons:
!!Warmup (only loaded wenn i whant to check things out)
!BugGrabber
ag_UnitFrames
aHelmnCloakToggle
aUF_RangeCheck
AutoProfit
Bartender3
BigWigs (only loaded in raid)
BugSack
Capping
Cartographer
Cartographer_Fishing
Cartographer_Herbalism
Cartographer_Mining
Cartographer_Noteshare
Cartographer_Quests
Cartographer_Scribe
Cartographer_Stats
Cartographer_Treasure
cgCrafty
ClearFont2
Clique
ClosetGnome
ClosetGnome_Banker
ClosetGnome_Mount
DetachedMiniButtons
DeuceCommander
ElkBuffBar
EQCompare
ErrorMonster
Fizzle
FramesResized
FuBar
FuBar_BagFu
FuBar_ClockFu
FuBar_DurabilityFu
FuBar_FuXPFu
FuBar_HonorFu
FuBar_LocationFu
FuBar_MailFu
FuBar_MoneyFu
FuBar_NameToggleFu
FuBar_PerformanceFu
FuBar_QuestsFu
FuBar_ReagentFu
FuBar_TrainerFu
GFW_AdSpace
KLHThreatMeter (only loaded in raid)
Lexan
Ludwig
Ludwig_SellValue
Mendeleev
MikScrollingBattleText
MobHealth
Nvp
oCB
OneBag
oRA2 (only loaded in raid)
Postman
Prat
RatingBuster
simpleMinimap
Skinner
SpellTips
SuperInspect
tekSupport (only loaded wenn i whant to check things out)
TinyTip
XLoot
XLootGroup
XLootMaster
XLootMonitor

12.072sec | Addon Loadup (13152 KiB - 20624 KiB)
1.180 sec | Longest addon: Bucksack Biggest addon: Prat (1888 KiB)
Most Garbage: FuBar_QuestFu (2100 KiB)

This i noticed in mem usage

pre 2.0 this UI was about 20mb (even more addons where loaded)
2.0 it was about 28mb 1.5KiB/sec
2.03 it is about 28mb 20 - 36KiB/sec

I can't explaint this, if some one can please do. I do know SecureUnitWatchFrame checks loads wen raiding. But it does'nt explain standing in Stormwind an hitting those large increasments in mem

Last edited by Quokka : 01-11-07 at 10:20 PM.
01-11-07, 10:13 PM   #4
Gemini_II
A Molten Giant

Warmup is really handy, but it gives a *very* rough estimate. Also, bear in mind, that Ace2 addons will appear to use tons of memory. This is because they attempt to load their embedded libraries, even though it's already loaded. Once you have done the first GC, it will free that memory.

Other than that, it's alot of trial end error. I use X-Perl instead of half a dozen mods and prefer it. Auctioneer and any datamining mod are memory hungry. Metamap is kinda fat too but very nice; although Cartographer is catching up to it.

Post a list of your addons and I can give you a better idea. My modpack uses approx. 44-56MB for the average user; your mileage may vary.

01-11-07, 10:56 PM   #5
Skan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I took your advice and loaded Warmup, and with interesting results! Out of all my addons (and I have quite a few!) BigWigs came up as being the one that produced the most garbage. SO, because I'm not raiding or BGing all the time, I made a profile on LoadIt to switch to which doesn't have the following garbage producing addons:

Bigwigs
oRa
SkillsPlus_Fu
AutoBar

Interestingly, these are all ace2 addons, and while I'm not bagging ace2 cos I love it, I must say I was kind of suprised. I expected some of my other non-ace2 addons to be a lot more resource hungry. To be honest, I do have a couple which are very memory intensive, such as TrinityBars, Auctioneer and Metamap. But by slimming down the number of addons which I don't REALLY need I have managed to save a lot of memory. Next on the agenda is to make a raiding LoadIt profile which doesn't contain things like Auctioneer, MetaMap and various other non-essential raid adds. Thanks for the heads up, and I can most definitely recommend LoadIt to make yourself various profiles to suit different types of play.

edit: I'll try post a list of my addons, but keep in mind I have a lot, and not all of them are running because I use LoadIt. Good point about the Ace2 stuff too, I'll keep an eye on things. Now, onto that list...agh!

Last edited by Skan : 01-11-07 at 10:58 PM.
01-11-07, 11:13 PM   #6
Skan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
A HUGE list...don't laugh!

OK, so here goes... My list of addons so far (not all are used for each toon, I probably use about half of them at one time)

!!Warmup
!BugGrabber
Ace2
AdvancedTradeSkillWindow
ag_UnitFrames
AtlasLoot
Auctioneer
aUF_Banzai
aUF_BarFader
aUF_RangeCheck
aUF_RangeCheck_M
AutoBar
AutoBarConfig
AutoProfit
BigWigs
BigWigs_Timers
Buffalo
BugSack
Chronometer
ClearFont
Clique
DetachedMiniButtons
DeuceCommander
DoTimer
Enchantrix
EnhTooltip
EquipCompare
EzDismount
FuBar
FuBar AmmoFu
FuBar BagFu
FuBar ClockFu
FuBar DurabilityFu
FuBar XPFu
Fubar LocationFu
Fubar MailFu
FuBar MoneyFu
FuBar NameToggleFu
FuBar OutfitterFu
FuBar PerformanceFu
FuBar ReloadUI
FuBar VolumeFu
FuTextures
GFW_ReagentCost
GoGoMount
GrimoireKeeper
Informant
JIM_CoolDownPulse
JIM_toolbox
KingOfTheJungle
LoadIt
Metamap
MobileMinimapButtons (I just realised I have two minimapbutton adds!)
oRA2
oTweaks
OutFitter
PostMan
Prat
RatingBuster
SimpleCombatLog
simpleMinimap
Skinner
Smartbuff
SmartDebuff
sRaidFrames
Stancesets3
Stubby
Stunwatch
TrinityBars
TrinketMenu
WitchHunt
X-Perl (Loaded on some toons while I decide between Ace2 alternatives)

So, well thats it... as I said, some addons are class dependent and I don't use them. Also because I'm trying to slim things down, I have stuff in there I really don't use, so it could actually go... then theres minimap buttons addons double ups...what a mess!
01-12-07, 12:14 AM   #7
Quokka
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

[quote=Skan]
Interestingly, these are all ace2 addons, and while I'm not bagging ace2 cos I love it, I must say I was kind of suprised. I expected some of my other non-ace2 addons to be a lot more resource hungry. To be honest, I do have a couple which are very memory intensive, such as TrinityBars, Auctioneer and Metamap. But by slimming down the number of addons which I don't REALLY need I have managed to save a lot of memory. Next on the agenda is to make a raiding LoadIt profile which doesn't contain things like Auctioneer, MetaMap and various other non-essential raid adds. Thanks for the heads up, and I can most definitely recommend LoadIt to make yourself various profiles to suit different types of play.
QUOTE]

Metamap -> Cartographer
Auctioneer -> Fence
TrinityBars -> Bartender3
OutFitter -> ClosetGnome
GoGoMount -> ClosetGnome_Mount

I see u use AG_unitframes (X-Perl & sRaidFrames are not needed since Aguf has build in raid frames)
why have aUF_RangeCheck_M & aUF_RangeCheck they both do the same thing

Please remeber ACE2 uses the embeded libs, they show up in warmup!
But it shares those libs across all addons that use that lib, so after the first GC it will only hold the latest version off that lib in the mem

Last edited by Quokka : 01-12-07 at 12:21 AM.
01-12-07, 01:26 AM   #8
Skan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Yes well I'm still as I say, wallowing about in a bath of addons... I didn't realize that aUF_Rangecheck and Rangecheck_M were pretty much the same thing I have tried replacements for MetaMap (Cartographer) but as it stands at the moment I'm no that fond of Cartographer. I think it is rapidly becoming a lot better, but until that time, I'll stick with Meta. Havne't given Fence a try yet, so I will do that, it looks pretty good, and pretty much what I'm after.

I didn't realise aG_UF had built in raid windows? I was in a raid today, and before I enabled sRaid, no other frames showed up... I'll check on that one.

edit: Found the raid frames in aG_UF...duh, I had them hidden..lol... I am wondering however if the built in raid frames are as funtional and informative as sRaid? Can anyone recommend a good raid setup thats low on memory and screen space... (call me insane, but I play on a Powerbook G4 1.5ghz 12" w/ 1.2gb ram - my display is well, rather tiny)

Last edited by Skan : 01-12-07 at 01:29 AM.
01-12-07, 02:05 AM   #9
Quokka
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

use /aguf (or if u are using an older version please use /aguf config)
look in frames an raidframes
by default the raid frames are hidden

that's the reason you did'nt see them

The best to do is set it to raidframe layout to ABF or yaABF with the option smart
01-13-07, 08:33 PM   #10
Skan
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
OK, so heres the results...

I managed to slim my memory usage right down to 26MiB... I decided to ditch agUF in the end, because it didn't really seem to produce much better results than running x-perl. Also made profiles for solo/party - raiding - city stuff, so when I want to load all my crafting adds etc when I'm in the city, I just switch to that profile.

Like wise with a raiding profile I have x-perl raid stuff loading along with a couple of other things such as bigwigs. Solo/Party profile is absolute minimum needed to do these activities... Thanks for your input people who replied, I have learnt a lot, and reloaded my ui about a million times..
01-13-07, 09:04 PM   #11
JoshBorke
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

way to get your UI just the way you want it with the addons you want

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Who is the hungriest addon of them all?