12-08-09, 08:49 PM   #1
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
nUI Quest Watch Question

I installed v5.04.04 Plus today and have a question about the new quest watch window.

I should start by saying that I use Carbonite, and primarily use it for three reasons, namely its quest watch set up, its map, and its tracking arrow. After seeing nUI's quest watch addition I find, even though I do prefer the better functionality of Carbonites quest watch, I like nUI's text display better as it's much easier to read. I'd turn off Carbonite's quest watch and use nUI's instead except that turning off Carbonite's quest watch also means I lose the functionality of the tracking arrow and I can't seem to find a quest tracking arrow option anywhere in nUI's setup. I really love nUI, but the lack of a tracking arrow is something I find I can't do without...

SO, the question is, does nUI have a quest tracking arrow? If nUI does have one, how do I turn it on? If nUI doesn't have a tracking arrow is there some way to completely turn off the nUI quest watch, mainly so I can can completely turn off its display and reduce screen clutter? Since I think the answer to the first question is no, is a tracking arrow something that's going to show up in version 6?

Hmmm... The wrong place for this, but it would really be nice if the functionality of Carbonite was added to v6. You've already added the quest watch, so the addition of a tracking arrow to the quest watch system and a similar type map set up would just be icing on the cake.

12-08-09, 09:47 PM   #2
neuralassassin
A Scalebane Royal Guard

The new quest watch is not part of nUI but actually Blizzards default quest watch that they just added. To turn it off all you should have to do is disable auto quest watching in the options. As far as adding carbonite functuality to nUI I don't think there are any plans for it as carbonite and questhelper integrate fairly well.

12-08-09, 10:38 PM   #3
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
OK, now for a dumb question!!

How in heck do you turn off the new Blizzard quest watch in the options? I've been through the options at least 10 times now and I haven't been able to get it turned off yet! The only place in options I've seen that comes close to looking like the right choice to turn it off is under Objectives, and I've got all those turned off but it is still showing up on screen.

12-09-09, 09:01 AM   #4
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
For now, until Carbonite fixes the problem, you can manually do it by taking advantage of how nUI manages Blizzard frames it is hiding using the following command when you log in or reload the UI...

/script WatchFrame:SetParent( nUI.BlizUI );

However, to "fix" the problem, Carbonite is going to have to turn that watch frame off since it is the addon that is "replacing" the watch frame.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

12-09-09, 02:39 PM   #5
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Thanks...

In case anybody is interested or for future reference, here's a description of the steps I took to turn off the WoW quest tracker:

Before I did anything I ticked off the WoW quest tracker hide option. Then In the WoW Options Interface Objectives tab I turned off the Automatic Quest Tracking and Automatic Quest Progress options, which should permanently turn it off. What happens, however, is that getting new quests seems to randomly, and without user intervention, place a tick mark on a quest which then causes the WoW quest tracker to appear again.

Thanks to Scott at least now I know it's a problem with Carbonite.

P.S. As you can tell in the first post I should obviously consider getting new glasses, as I could have sworn your notes for this latest version mentioned the addition of quest tracker improvements. SO, either new glasses or stronger brain fart prevention safe guards.

12-09-09, 02:40 PM   #6
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
You weren't going blind. There was a mention of it but only to say that nUI's control of the watchframe was removed and it being added to the moveable frames. At least the last time I read it anyway

Characters:
Gwynedda - 70 - Demon Warlock
Galaviel - 65 - Resto Druid
Gamaliel - 61 - Disc Priest
Gwynytha - 60 - Survival Hunter
Lienae - 60 - Resto Shaman
Plus several others below level 60

Info Panel IDs : http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...818#post136818

12-09-09, 02:45 PM   #7
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
OH, I read the same thing you did, but that's where the brain fart came in as I managed to add more to it than what was said! Wishful thinking I guess.

12-10-09, 10:07 AM   #8
Alpha Dog
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

I'm having the same problem as the OP EXCEPT I don't have Carbonite(never) or Cartographer(3.3 broke it for me so I deleted it till an update). lol I'm just using the new world map & with all objective boxes unticked I still get the tracking frame.

If I use /nui movers I get a huge box for the quest tracking (long & wide) so I cant move it to the bottom part of my screen. Can this be resized?

Devilmon

Edit: I just used the nui command /script WatchFrame:SetParent( nUI.BlizUI ) which removed the frame, so do I need to uue that command whenever I log into WOW?

Last edited by Alpha Dog : 12-10-09 at 10:13 AM.

12-10-09, 10:09 AM   #9
spiel2001
nUI's Author

I don't have any control over the size of the watch frame. That's how Blizz defines it and it does not build from the bottom up, so if you moved it to the bottom of the screen, it would actually cause errors.

You can make nUI hide it by using the following script when you log into nUI...

but nUI does not and will not hide it by default since most people rely on it.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

12-10-09, 11:14 PM   #10
Coasty
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
You can make nUI hide it by using the following script when you log into nUI...

but nUI does not and will not hide it by default since most people rely on it.
Being a curious type I thought I'd take at look at the nUI files and see if I could take this script command a step further and do what Scott says, for a very good reason, he won't have nUI do as a default action.

Until such time as Carbonite fixes its bug nUI/Carbonite users, that also don't use the default Blizzard quest tracker and have it appear unwanted each time you get a new quest, can add the above script to "nUI\Integration\nUI_Integration.xml" to apply it as a default login action.

Use this format for the script when adding it to the file:

<script WatchFrame:SetParent( nUI.BlizUI ); />

As per Scott though, if you're using the default Blizzard Quest Tracker you certainly don't want to do this.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » nUI Quest Watch Question