07-07-10, 03:36 PM   #1
gerraptor
A Defias Bandit
Real Id ?

Why Carbonite is interested @ my REALID ?

07-07-10, 04:44 PM   #2
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

A little more information would be very helpful. I have never seen anything from Carb asking/referencing or doing anything with RealID.

07-07-10, 05:46 PM   #3
gerraptor
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
A little more information would be very helpful. I have never seen anything from Carb asking/referencing or doing anything with RealID.
newest Carb installed today -login - REAL ID was asked automatic from the Addon.
Together with the privat Chatchannel to submit Data i think this is dangerous. Sorry for my bad english

07-07-10, 06:18 PM   #4
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I have the latest Carb and have never been asked for my RealID. My copy is from here on WoWI also. Do you have a toon you have not logged into, since installing Carb, that you can log on and get a screenshot of the box, request, etc that shows what is happening?

07-08-10, 03:10 AM   #5
gerraptor
A Defias Bandit
good Morning,

no, no screenshot.
But in official forum many people see that, too.

And Deadly Bossmods seems the same thing.

07-08-10, 04:21 AM   #6
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by gerraptor View Post
good Morning,

no, no screenshot.
But in official forum many people see that, too.

And Deadly Bossmods seems the same thing.
We are on "official forum" for Carbonite. Doesn't get any more official than here.

Personally, I think you'll find you have RealID requests even with all addons disabled, as it is one of the major Blizzard changes when your game was last patched.

07-08-10, 05:15 AM   #7
n3vaevar
A Kobold Labourer
hej there,

dont get me wrong. the intention of this post is for gathering information only. i dont want to claim your addon doing bad things, nor to i want to claim you. just to tell

let me just quickly translate a thread from the german general wow forums:

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread....sid=3&pageNo=1

(hansilol, frostmourne)
Blizzard's data protection failed, its even a joke. Its already possible for addons to read your real name - tahnks to realID.
Just copy/paste this into your chat: "/run for i=1,100 do if BNIsSelf(i)then BNSendWhisper(i,"RealID whisper from yourself..");break end end". Keeping in mind that addons are able to talk to each other from client to client ... im srsly worried.
ATTENTION - THE LATEST VERSION OF CARBONITE ALREADY READS OUR REALIDS
quote:
Hello everyone,

get yourself the latest version of carbonite, install it and just watch what happens! Just login and wait ..

BN_Connectet

Charname ..

RealID

sincerly
Dream

uhmm...

I ASK THE MODS TO INSTANTLY FORWARD THIS BUG

CANT BELIEVE ADULT PEOPLE HAVE ACTUALLY HAVE TO ACTIVATE PARENTAL CONTROL TO GET AT LEAST 0,1% PRIVACY

this is not my post, this is not my formamatting.
i just 1:1 translated the post.

the thread was opened 8 hours ago and already has 15 pages full of frightened players.

main focus on this thread is not your addon actually, but the fact that the command written above actually prints out your realID.

ill try to filter out some more interessting quotes about your specific addon and post it here, but so far itll be cool if you could comment on that.

thx

//edit: the original post#1 (the one i translated above) has just been deleted. (what you can see as counting starts with "1" instead of "0". my timing rocks ^^

Last edited by n3vaevar : 07-08-10 at 05:18 AM.

07-08-10, 07:55 AM   #8
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Sure, somebody yells "Fire!" in a crowded theater, and everybody panics. Even if there's no fire.

Okay, maybe there's at least a little smoke — maybe there is a problem with RealID. But even if an addon knows your realid, does that imply that it will broadcast it to all and sundry, or that it can read the realid of j.random.player you just happen to be near in Dalaran?

I think we need to give Blizz a little time to respond to these concerns before we go jumping off of 30 story buildings.

07-09-10, 03:37 AM   #9
Jigain
A Molten Giant

Of course your own account can see your own RealID. How's that a huge surprise? Highest security breach that'd cause is that someone could see your name when they're looking over your shoulder.

It would also not surprise me if addons could read the RealID of your RealID friends.

However, as far as I can tell, no one has actually reported being able to read a complete stranger's RealID name. Come back when you have credible info on that - until then, I say this is Y2K all over again.

07-09-10, 09:26 AM   #10
hansilollol
A Kobold Labourer
hey guys, im just stating that i just quotet someone who said carbonite is reading out our data, so dont blame me for that.

second, i think IF IT COULD BE that carbonite is reading the real id, i think it has something to do with the addon itself and they are NOT interested in(? sry my english sucks)your real-id, since it got a friendlist feature.

again: i dont want to say anything bad about carbonite, and im not interested in getting any trouble with the carbonite guys also im not interested that the addon is getting any bad reputation because of my quote on the blizz forums. actualle the addon is and was great, even when u had to pay for it a while ago.

i dont get it why such a "bug" or a "feature" is available.
we even reported the bug on the test realms, and nothing has changed. the patch was delivered with this bug.
so blame blizzard and not the coders of addons

greetz.

Last edited by hansilollol : 07-09-10 at 09:39 AM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Real Id ?