08-03-13, 03:54 AM   #21
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by myrroddin View Post
I was looking for a syntactic shortcut where none exists.
Such shortcuts exist in some other languages, but not in Lua.

However, if you're checking a larger number of values, and you know ahead of time which values you're going to check against, you can clean up your code and avoid giant "if _ or _ or _ or _" chains by using a table:

Code:
local valuesToCheck = {
    baboon = true,
    cat = true,
    dog = true,
    elephant = true,
    frog = true,
}

if valuesToCheck[var] then
   -- do x
end
08-03-13, 08:09 PM   #22
Niketa
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

So how do I check a person's riding skill? I'm not finding much by the way of Google but an outdated GetSkillLineInfo. I need to be able to exclude mounts that a player can't use due to profession, riding skill, cloud serpent skill and the such.
08-03-13, 09:06 PM   #23
Phanx
Cat.

Riding skill is no longer an actual skill, like professions. It's just a spell that appears in your spellbook, so just use IsSpellKnown with the spell ID you are interested in.

However, there's not really any reason to do that, or to build a database of conditions (eg. this mount requires this skill in this profession) and check them all (eg. does the player have this skill in this profession?). Just use IsUsableSpell on each mount's spell ID to see if it's usable at the time before adding it to your list.
08-03-13, 09:25 PM   #24
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
Just use IsUsableSpell on each mount's spell ID to see if it's usable at the time before adding it to your list.
This won't work if you log in while indoors and can't mount, for example. When the table is compiled, you won't be able to use any of your mounts. (Also goes for swimming mounts like the sea horse - unless you're swimming and can *actually* use the mount, the function will return nil.)

/edit: IsUsableSpell also returns 1 instead of nil for the Flying Carpet on a character that doesn't have tailoring and can't use it.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Last edited by Seerah : 08-03-13 at 09:27 PM.
08-13-13, 10:47 PM   #25
Niketa
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Is it possible to create a button that you can drag onto your action bars? Right now I have a macro to run the addon but I'd rather avoid macros because some people use up all their macros already but I prefer to have something that can be either standalone or on the action bars (because I personally prefer it to be on my action bar and frankly the macro itself is good enough for me lol). If not I'll just have a button but yeah...

And I know I haven't checked back in in a while but I am still working on this... just been working on a couple things at once in the bit of time I have.
08-14-13, 12:19 PM   #26
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
If you want something to drag onto your action bars, you need to use a macro. But you can create a button that can be placed elsewhere on the screen.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-14-13, 07:21 PM   #27
Niketa
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

Ok thank you. I'll probably just make a standalone button and when players first load give them an option to create a macro as well.
08-14-13, 10:25 PM   #28
Phanx
Cat.

Don't forget to also give them an option to hide the button -- nothing's worse than an addon that puts some useless thing on your screen (eg. the button is useless if I'm using a macro) and doesn't give you any way to hide it.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Saving values to different tables in a loop.