A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
How about......
Click image for larger version

Name:	CarboniteAddon2 copy.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	7596
I know it should be blatantly obvious to you guys, but all I did was add a layer under the text that was four pixels larger and filled it with black. Just separates the text from the effects.

Here's the file if you want it.
CarboniteAddon2 copy.psd

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

02-27-13, 02:08 PM   #22
Tim
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Having a border that thick separates the text to the extent that the "electricy" addition to the text is completely negated which is what I was trying to point out in my initial reply.
Battle Tag: Mysterio#11164
Current PC Setup: PCPartPicker List

02-27-13, 03:23 PM   #23
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Well, you could always fade the border so that it is not as intrusive, but it's still there separating the text so that it doesn't get so lost in the effects. IE:

Name:	CarboniteAddon2_FadedOutline.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	7599
The outline layer has been faded to 35%, so it's still there, just not quite as intrusive.

Anyway, not so exciting, but, here's my entry:

Name:	Carbonite-2.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	7598

Carbonite <----- GitHub main module (Maps ONLY) download link. The other modules are also available on GitHub.
Carbonite-CLASSIC<----- GitHub link to Carbonite Classic. Thanks to ircdirk for this!

Last edited by jeffy162 : 02-27-13 at 03:36 PM.

02-27-13, 03:25 PM   #24
Tim

If you want the text to stick out slightly more than my previous image with the gradient overlay here's a 60% drop shadow added to it.

added 1 with the background color matching wowinterface in the event you were to add it to the addon information page.

Last edited by Tim : 02-27-13 at 04:11 PM.

02-27-13, 03:35 PM   #25
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by Cirax View Post
If you want the text to stick out slightly more than my previous image with the gradient overlay here's a 60% drop shadow added to it.
See thats what i was talking about. I love that. and you also retained the electric look around the letters.

02-27-13, 03:40 PM   #26
jeffy162
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Much nicer than just fading the outline.

{slams head on table} GAD!! I'm such a hack at this stuff.

02-27-13, 03:44 PM   #27
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by jeffy162 View Post
Much nicer than just fading the outline.

{slams head on table} GAD!! I'm such a hack at this stuff.
One thing to keep in mind while doing these images, imo, is less is always better. Its alot easier to tweak the little things to get what you want and add to the pic than try to carve chunks away to get the finish product

02-27-13, 04:12 PM   #28
Tim

Added another image to my previous post. :P

02-27-13, 09:14 PM   #29
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

In honor of Carbonite getting a new life. I give you the proof

02-27-13, 09:28 PM   #30
Tim

Stop stealing my wind effects :P I like the idea of giving it a life line but, too much purple for my taste.

02-27-13, 09:45 PM   #31
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Yea kinda is for me to, heinsight is a bitch :P. colors can be changed though, so im up for ideas

less purple one :P

Last edited by mjumnito : 02-27-13 at 09:54 PM.

02-27-13, 10:27 PM   #32
Tim

The colors are better indeed. However, the font I'm not too sure it works out for the life line. It acts as if half the word are block letters with their close tracing of the border whereas the ARB and even the O to an extent don't really stand out with the rest. I think it just might be the font choice for the style but, if you go with a more scripty font it may be harder to read.

02-28-13, 03:14 AM   #33
zork
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by JimJoBlue View Post
I like image's 2 and 3 with the shadows, but I like the colouring of image 1.... Maybe make the shadows more prominent?
I'm sorry. I think I was not clear enough when posting my images. In fact all those images are the same.

Ingame textures in WoW are based on TGA files (most commonly converted into a BLP file).

TGA files consist of 2 layers. Image and alpha layer. The alpha layer provides areas in 8bit (black/white) that define the image transparency regions. The image layer is in 24bit color. The game uses the alpha layer to hide areas on the image layer. So the result is in fact the transparent png.

Thus the image will work on any background. As it can be seen here.

Btw..have you thought of doing sth that actually has sth to do with Carbonite?

To do that I would gather some Carbonite keywords.
  • Questtracker
  • Tourguide
  • Mapguide
  • Navigation-Software

Based on those I would create a logo.

The elictricity image may look cool but it has nothing in common with the product behind it.
Think of the new Google Maps logo.

The logo has crincles making it look like a map. It has the iconic red marker and some lines in the background to stand as a freference for the famous Google maps map display. Additionally we have the Google "g". Being a masterpiece it even references all Google colors. (green, blue, red, yellow)

I'm no Carbonite expert but you probably are. So think of keywords that you can relate Carbonite to and use common symbols referencing those keywords.

The original Carbonite logo is referencing Lord of the Rings because it is using the LotR theme font. That being said it is a reference to the fantasy genre in general which WoW is part of.

"I wonder what the non-pathetic people are doing tonight?" - Rajesh Koothrappali (The Big Bang Theory)

Last edited by zork : 02-28-13 at 03:27 AM.

02-28-13, 08:53 AM   #34
Kreelor
A Firelord

A couple quickies. One logo; two different colors.

I kept the design simple, so that it may be more versatile. Easily legible at larger or smaller resizing, if necessary.

I chose to use the numeral "2" instead of the "II" to avoid a possible confusion with "version 11". heh heh
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Carbonite_Logo-3a.png
Views:	386
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	7600  Click image for larger version

Name:	Carbonite_Logo-3b.png
Views:	380
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	7601  

02-28-13, 09:17 AM   #35
Kreelor
A Firelord

I had a last minute thought. Carbonite is also the name of another company which has nothing to do with this World of Warcraft addon, so I added a line of text to differentiate the two.
--------------

EDITED 9:00am (pacific time): I guess I have too much time on my hands. For the sake of novelty, I added a Windows Movie (.wmv) file of the logo. (It's zipped). Try not to play it "Full Screen," since it wasn't designed for that. Default size looks better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Carbonite_Logo-4c.PNG
Views:	362
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	7602  Click image for larger version

Name:	Carbonite_Logo-4d.PNG
Views:	367
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	7603  
Attached Files
File Type: zip animated_logo.zip (715.0 KB, 349 views)

Last edited by Kreelor : 02-28-13 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added a wmv file for novelty

02-28-13, 11:31 AM   #36
Tim

Originally Posted by zork View Post
The elictricity image may look cool but it has nothing in common with the product behind it.
Think of the new Google Maps logo.
The standard Google logo has nothing to do with the software you are using. When I go to the map section for Google it has the default search engine logo. Google Earth logo also doesn't resemble the planet. The original logo has no resemblance of mapping software either. Using a geological theme may be a nice touch but, it's entirely not necessary. Your image for example if I was just sifting through pages of banners not knowing their purpose I wouldn't have a clue yours was something to do with mapping. The land looks more like botches of nothing more than something geological. The text doesn't even flow with the image, it's two entirely different themes.

Last edited by Tim : 02-28-13 at 12:47 PM.

02-28-13, 12:55 PM   #37
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

The standard Google logo has nothing to do with the software you are using. When I go to the map section for Google it has the default search engine logo. Google Earth logo also doesn't resemble the planet. The original logo has no resemblance of mapping software either. Using a geological theme may be a nice touch but, it's entirely not necessary. Your image for example if I was just sifting through pages of banners not knowing their purpose I wouldn't have a clue yours was something to do with mapping. The land looks more like botches of nothing more than something geological. The text doesn't even flow with the image, it's two entirely different themes.
While I agree with most of what your saying here. I think I should point out that what zork was trying to show is that the method he was describing would work on any background. Now the one he choose, correct me if I'm wrong here, was never intended to ba a map but instead would show how it would look on a random background.

02-28-13, 01:15 PM   #38
Tim

Originally Posted by mjumnito View Post
While I agree with most of what your saying here. I think I should point out that what zork was trying to show is that the method he was describing would work on any background. Now the one he choose, correct me if I'm wrong here, was never intended to ba a map but instead would show how it would look on a random background.
Probably so, my comment was more of something defensive because nothing he's provided so far fit the theme he's suggesting and he pointed out mine. :P

02-28-13, 01:56 PM   #39
mjumnito
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Ok, I have an idea for a new splash. Only 1 thing I need to know first. Is there any rules stating we can or can't use the WoW maps for addon images? Azeroth as a whole for example.

Last edited by mjumnito : 02-28-13 at 01:57 PM. Reason: grammer is hard lol

02-28-13, 03:21 PM   #40
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
as far as I know, nope no rules forbidding that... as for my personal rules... nope none i'm really loving and enjoying seeing the idea's you guys come up with.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » any graphic artists?