10-10-10, 08:51 AM   #1
Bubuline
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Kgpanels problem with switching profiles

Hello,

every addon works fine with the /reflux switch profile command but kgpanels. It doesn't matter in which profile I change my panels, it will change it automatically for all other profiles although seperate profiles have been selected. Can anyone help me with this?

Regards, bu
10-10-10, 10:15 AM   #2
Nobgul
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There are a few addons that just using a profile won't work for. According to the reflux addon page it gives these instructions.

Code:
Now i configure a bunch of stuff and notice my unit frames dont have support for profiles... Well i can fix that! First i need to check the .toc for my unit frames in this case StufUnitFrames. I find the #SavedVariables: StufDB line in the toc indication that is where it saves its configuration information. So now in game I simply add that saved variable to reflux

/reflux add StufDB

Now reflux will emulate a profile for Stuf. I finish up configuring my ui. Im pretty happy with it. Now that im done I need to save the emulated profile
10-10-10, 11:55 AM   #3
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The issue here is how kgpanels actually works. You have profiles as well as layouts. If you are changing the panels you are editing a layout. You can use the same layout in several profiles. kgpanels uses the AceDb thing reflux mentions so you don't need to emulate profiles.

Example:

You first use kgpanels and the profile is default. There are no layouts at this time.

We make a profile called warrior. Then make a layout called tank.
For variety we also make a layout called raid.

We make a new profile called hunter. Tank and raid layouts are available for use for hunter. We pick raid.

If you make a reflux profile called warrior it will remember the last layout (either tank or raid) that warrior was using. If you were to alter the raid layout it would change for hunter as well.

Hope that helps.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
10-10-10, 12:03 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
That's not the case here, as kgPanels does have ("real") profile support.

What the OP is confused on, is the concept of Layouts in kgPanels. Say you have two layouts - Layout A and Layout B.

Layout A has 3 panels with a blue theme.
Layout B has 4 panels with a green theme.

You have 3 characters, all three are using character specific (separate) profiles.

Characters 1 & 2 (mage & shaman) are using Layout A (the blue one), Character 3 (hunter) is using Layout B (green).

You decide to make a 4th panel for Character 2 (shaman) for your totems because you like the 4th panel in your hunter's UI that you have for aspects. So, you add a 4th panel to your layout (Layout A). The next time you log into your mage, however, you find that your mage also has this new fourth panel with their profile. This is because your mage is *also* using Layout A.

TL;DR - when changing things in kgPanels, you are altering the layouts, not the profiles. The profiles only determine which layouts a character is using.

/edit: and Midget beat me because my computer restarted and I was eating lunch. ><
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Kgpanels problem with switching profiles