10-03-09, 03:32 PM   #1
Sarthenis
A Defias Bandit
well...

i dont mean to try and raise hell with anyone in particular here but i just thought it might be worth posting that my account was recently "hacked" shortly after signing up for the nui newsletter and downloading the nui addon. im honestly not tryin to blame any of the developers the the addon or anything, but i kinda wondered if it had happened to anyone else. also wondered if it may have been sumthing i picked up off of wowinterfaces site or w/e idk. like i said though just figured it might be worth postin so one of you guys can look into it great addon though from wat little i got to use it before i lost my account.

p.s. i have since gotten my account restored along with all of my gear

10-03-09, 04:13 PM   #2
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Well... I'm the only developer of nUI and I assure you I have no interest in hacking anyone's account. In addition, unless you download an addon that contains an executable program that you permit to be installed, then it is 120% *impossible* for any WoW addon to be used to hack your account.

Without getting into all of the boring detail, addons are just scripts that are loaded by WoW *after* you have logged in and those scripts are strictly prohibited from accessing files in your system or hardware events (such as keystrokes) in your computer. It simply is not possible for an addon to be used to hack your account.

I'll add that *no* addon should *ever* require you to install an executable program to use the addon. There are some like Thottbot that use executables to communicate with their servers, but unless you absolutely know and trust the source, you should never ever under any circumstance install any executable program as part of a WoW addon.

As for WoWI being the source of you getting hacked, I would say with 99.9999% certainty that is not the source, either. I know the WoWI staff, many of them personally now, and I assure you you'll find no group more dedicated to their integrity or quality of service they offer. There is always some slim chance something will get past them, but you can be assured that they are always on the lookout and that if something does get past them, they'll let everyone know. There is *no* source for WoW addons I trust and respect more than WoWI and its staff.

I would ask myself what other things you might have done that could have led to the hack. I would also strongly recommend investing the $6 in an authenticator.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

10-03-09, 04:14 PM   #3
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Addons do not load until you have selected a character and started to load in to the world which is well after you have typed in any account information. In most cases your information was obtained months before your account was "hacked".

A few things you can do to protect yourself.

1) Do not make your password something simple. Going as far as making it just a series of numbers and letters with no discernible words in it can make it harder to try and figure out. Its not unknown for accounts to be stolen this way. Complex=good

2) Know what your creating passwords or entering information for. Just because it looks like its blizzard related doesn't mean it is. If you happen to use the same log-in and password for numerous things (as most folks seem to these days) You could get caught unaware from something that looks legit but isn't.

3) Scan your computer regularly. Virus and spyware scans cant hurt. Make sure your programs for it are up to date. And don't rely on ones you get from p2p services (NOTE: this is for information purposes im not trying to imply you are doing so) as they are difficult to keep up to date that's even assuming they are clean to begin with.

4) Don't share your account. Unless your 200% sure they can be trusted not to do something stupid with your information simply do not give this info out. Several of my real life friends have been "hacked" because they opted to share an account and one of the 2 did something incredibly stupid.

5) Many folks seem to stand by the Authenticator blizzard offers. Might be worth looking in to.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor

10-03-09, 05:39 PM   #4
Sarthenis
A Defias Bandit
i appreciate the info guys. and like i said im really not tryin to point any fingers or anything and im sorry if it seemed like that. i just didnt know if it was anything that you would wanna be concerned about or not. wat you said in ur post makes sense though spiel. as far as other downloads ive done i really cant think of much other than some driver updates i did to my computer about 3 weeks ago. thats not to say i havent downloaded anything in the last several months, just cant remember wat. i did run some virus scan and stuff with several different programs. as well and it removed a bunch of spyware and stuff so who knows. but thanks for the info. and great addon btw man. like i said i didnt get to use it much before but i look forward to usin it some more, which is another reason i wanted to post that cause id like to keep usin it.

10-04-09, 11:42 AM   #5
todd0168
A Frostmaul Preserver

Yeah, I stand by the authenticator wholeheartedly. It's only $6 and it adds an extra layer of security on your account. I got one after several people in my guild got hacked. So far so good. And it's only $6.

02-16-10, 08:54 PM   #6
Coota
A Kobold Labourer
One thing I'd like to add

Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
Addons do not load until you have selected a character and started to load in to the world which is well after you have typed in any account information. In most cases your information was obtained months before your account was "hacked".

A few things you can do to protect yourself.

1) Do not make your password something simple. Going as far as making it just a series of numbers and letters with no discernible words in it can make it harder to try and figure out. Its not unknown for accounts to be stolen this way. Complex=good

2) Know what your creating passwords or entering information for. Just because it looks like its blizzard related doesn't mean it is. If you happen to use the same log-in and password for numerous things (as most folks seem to these days) You could get caught unaware from something that looks legit but isn't.

3) Scan your computer regularly. Virus and spyware scans cant hurt. Make sure your programs for it are up to date. And don't rely on ones you get from p2p services (NOTE: this is for information purposes im not trying to imply you are doing so) as they are difficult to keep up to date that's even assuming they are clean to begin with.

4) Don't share your account. Unless your 200% sure they can be trusted not to do something stupid with your information simply do not give this info out. Several of my real life friends have been "hacked" because they opted to share an account and one of the 2 did something incredibly stupid.

5) Many folks seem to stand by the Authenticator blizzard offers. Might be worth looking in to.
I must say....very good suggestions. But I'd like to add another that could also help deter malicious code from being executed.

6) Update your operating system and browsers. Make sure you get all updates from Microsoft often. I usually do so on Tuesdays, since Microsoft does most important patches on Tuesdays, and Blizzard schedules their maintenance on the same day. As for browsers, I'm not going to get into a browser war here, but I will say shop around. But no matter the browser you use, see that it's checking for updates, and get the updates when available. And update your Java and Flash, because a lot of hackers can get into your system through those, even with an updated browser and operating system.

02-16-10, 11:49 PM   #7
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

A keyloger will remain on your system for several months before they hack into your account. The keylogger that you had was on your computer long before you downloaded nUI.

Just an FYI also... the admins of WoW Interface manually go through each and every addon to ensure it's safety before it gets uploaded to the sites server. Having said that... WoW Interface and Curse are the only two addon sites on the Internet that I will even remotely trust.

02-17-10, 09:47 AM   #8
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by Sarthenis View Post
i dont mean to try and raise hell with anyone in particular here but i just thought it might be worth posting that my account was recently "hacked" shortly after signing up for the nui newsletter and downloading the nui addon. im honestly not tryin to blame any of the developers the the addon or anything, but i kinda wondered if it had happened to anyone else. also wondered if it may have been sumthing i picked up off of wowinterfaces site or w/e idk. like i said though just figured it might be worth postin so one of you guys can look into it great addon though from wat little i got to use it before i lost my account.

p.s. i have since gotten my account restored along with all of my gear
If you didn't find the keylogger on your system, be aware that you may lose your account again.

Marth

02-17-10, 09:48 AM   #9
Marthisdil
An Onyxian Warder
Originally Posted by Petrah View Post
A keyloger will remain on your system for several months before they hack into your account. The keylogger that you had was on your computer long before you downloaded nUI.

Just an FYI also... the admins of WoW Interface manually go through each and every addon to ensure it's safety before it gets uploaded to the sites server. Having said that... WoW Interface and Curse are the only two addon sites on the Internet that I will even remotely trust.
Just don't ever use the silly WoWI UI/Addon updater...well, unless you want wrong versions of addons installed, and addon's you never had installed, installed

Other than that, yes, I trust the manual download method from them

Marth

02-17-10, 12:55 PM   #10
Bill Ripley
A Defias Bandit
Smile

One should also be aware of the very good emails sent out by hacker looking like official Blizz notice . ie :you password has been changed ... don't use it to link to account info , easiest thing to do is log onto your account if your password hasn't changed ignore it. Also they send out notices about you being a gold seller and are going to ban you its also a scam . I get them all the time but the battlenet acct is not correct they us my email linked to sites such as this and not the one thats my battlenet acct.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » well...