12-22-10, 02:43 AM   #1
Myridin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Help with KG Panels

Hello, after trying many, many different UI's and a lot of cussing at the computer, I've been trying to build my own UI (which I might then post here),
I've encountered one tiny problem. I have no idea how KG panels works. I have read through a few guides and it's still all Chinese to me.

So my question is, could anyone hear explain it to me in lament's English or maybe create something for me to use in my UI?

~Hox
12-22-10, 02:59 AM   #2
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Explaining how it works boils down to what you are trying to accomplish. Do you simply want to make blank panels with some color? Use custom textures? Make interactive panels?

Lots of things can be done. It is a matter of knowing what your goal is. I'd be happy to walk you through some steps to teach it to you for the things I am well versed in.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
12-22-10, 03:18 AM   #3
Myridin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
Explaining how it works boils down to what you are trying to accomplish. Do you simply want to make blank panels with some color? Use custom textures? Make interactive panels?

Lots of things can be done. It is a matter of knowing what your goal is. I'd be happy to walk you through some steps to teach it to you for the things I am well versed in.
Ooooh, I'd love that! Well, you seel all those fancy art UI's and then I'm like "how do they do it?" But still, to start with it'd be better just to get some panels done for the chat frame, the action bars and recount/omen. Just something easy, like a black and grey panel with a glossy effect.

Edit: Replaced glow with glossy, my English is terrible D:
12-22-10, 04:00 AM   #4
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Well a glossy effect will require using art. The addon by itself can do (for art) solid colors, gradients, borders and opacity. A gloss look will require using textures.

To start with you need to make a layout.

Type /kgpanels config
In the general options section select layout. On the right enter a name for the layout and click create.

Then go down to active panels (there wont be any yet as you haven't created any).
Click active panels. Enter a name for the panel. You can either click create or create using defaults. The second option is if you took the time to set up default properties for a panel in the default panel options menu. It is not necessary it just saves time if you need to make many panels of a similar type.

Once created you can alter the look of the panel with some of the first options. Select the panel you made from the list. Go to color and opacity settings and play with the settings to see how they effect the panel.

You can also click the little + symbol to open additional options for the panel. texture options will allow you to change the texture the background uses as well as the border. This is where you can set the panel to use any custom art you have informed the addon about.

Start with those options listed above first. Play around with the settings to see what they do. Once you have done so post back with additional questions you might have.

Once you have those options figured out (or questions answered) I will show you how to import art to the addon so you can add some.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
12-22-10, 05:27 AM   #5
Myridin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Alright, I'm working on it now, will post result when finished.
12-22-10, 05:46 AM   #6
Myridin
A Fallenroot Satyr
I have got an artlibrary to work with it also, it just is really dark and I don't know what to do to make it brighter.
12-22-10, 10:48 AM   #7
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
The color of your panel impacts the color of the texture you are using with it. If you want the colors to be exactly like the texture you are using, then set the color of your panel to white.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-22-10, 01:38 PM   #8
Myridin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
The color of your panel impacts the color of the texture you are using with it. If you want the colors to be exactly like the texture you are using, then set the color of your panel to white.
Alright, thanks, will work on it now and post results :-)
12-22-10, 01:51 PM   #9
Myridin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Now that I'm bothering you, is there any way you could make it brighter even after you set the color to white? Seems darker now that it's covering my chatbox.
12-22-10, 02:32 PM   #10
Myridin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Alright, here it goes, it's still very amateuristic with borders not matching but it is a start. Feel free to criticise the rest of the UI also, made it myself.

The art is from Dya.

12-22-10, 04:24 PM   #11
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Do you have your chat frame background set to a gray/transparent color?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

12-22-10, 04:34 PM   #12
Myridin
A Fallenroot Satyr
Do you have your chat frame background set to a gray/transparent color?
I have now. It seems to be better now. I'd still like the action buttons to be more inside the panels rather than in front of them if you know what I mean. I think I need the borders to fade or make the buttons more transparent, will check Bartender for that, wasn't in ButtonFacade. This is my 2nd attempt at it.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Help with KG Panels