04-01-09, 08:19 AM   #81
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
All right, I admit it, you got me.

But in my defense, only because you got Scott. Or was he in on it too? If so, that was a brilliant stroke.
He he he... I know nooooooootthhhhhhhhhhhing.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

Last edited by spiel2001 : 04-01-09 at 08:27 AM.
04-01-09, 08:23 AM   #82
Infini
A Defias Bandit

rofl nice one guys. It scared the hell out of me at first though but the Your Mom button pretty much tipped it off.

Happy April Fools Day
04-01-09, 08:33 AM   #83
MadCow
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Gimbli View Post
My lord, the entire first page of responses didn't get the joke.

or maybe we did and decided to play along happy Aprils fool
04-01-09, 08:46 AM   #84
Fuzzywuzzy
A Black Drake

Dunno if i should laugh or cry.

If i had only read first page my WoW account would have been terminated, and i would be able to see the sun in my spare time too
04-01-09, 08:48 AM   #85
tralkar
An Onyxian Warder

April Fools
04-01-09, 08:53 AM   #86
Vyper
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
He he he... I know nooooooootthhhhhhhhhhhing.

Sergeant Schultz reference ftw!

Holy toledo I feel old!
04-01-09, 09:06 AM   #87
Hassenbinlaid
A Kobold Labourer
April Fools!
04-01-09, 09:07 AM   #88
kraftman
A Theradrim Guardian
The only thing that's unbelievable about this is the 60/40 split of profits.
04-01-09, 09:21 AM   #89
LittleWhiteDove
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Thumbs up

Oh no this can't be true...................................... Oh right - your Father taught you all about April fools jokes didn't he.

Very well done Cairenn. This must have taken a few extra hours of work for you and your nutty friends. Now I know why you didn't have time to come over and watch a movie with me the other night.
04-01-09, 09:34 AM   #90
wreck
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Read it, looked at date. Picked up coffee and smiled.
04-01-09, 09:51 AM   #91
nytekat
A Fallenroot Satyr

Got up, grabbed a bowl of cereal. Opened my browser... seen this. Got sad... looked at my pc clock.. 4/1/2009... omg evil ppl! lol don't do that to my heart this early!
04-01-09, 09:57 AM   #92
Anjalena
Mess-maker!

OMG.. awesome awesome! You got me. I was pissed. And then was planning to quit WoW. I can't afford to pay all that money for every addon and I'm too spoiled to play without them. Good job. Heh.

I was feeling neglected since Blizz didn't make an elaborate hoax this year like they usually do... for us Americans, I mean. Europeans got "Pimp my Mount".. heh. But this makes me feel much better. This day is never right if I don't get tricked. *giggle*
Attached Images

04-01-09, 10:22 AM   #93
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Okay, now that I'm awake again and the joke is completely revealed as being such, I'll go ahead and restore all the early posts that gave it away. Happy April Fools' guys.
04-01-09, 10:48 AM   #94
SmuvMoney
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Cairenn View Post
Okay, now that I'm awake again and the joke is completely revealed as being such, I'll go ahead and restore all the early posts that gave it away. Happy April Fools' guys.
This was actually better than the P1mp my Ride April Fools on WoW's Euro site. Well played Cairenn.

$muvMoney
John 14:27 & Numbers 6:24
04-01-09, 12:06 PM   #95
acapela
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Awful

oh bah, i didn't look at the date. i put together this beautiful essay, wasted a whole 15 minutes on this wonderful pontificating...

time to go get that "NEWB" tattoo for my forehead. i need to make sure they reverse the letters, or i won't be able to read it in the mirror as i am trimming nose hair.
----
this is awful, abandoning the whole open-source/community-based process for addons and their distribution. but i suppose it is "typical" of the MMO genre/business model. everything is viewed as a potential captive profit center.

how soon will we be able to buy gold, items, and premade characters from Blizzard (hyperbole, maybe... but consistent with the trends in the industry)? it begs the question.

given how often addons come and go, authors quit the game and abandon their work, or come into the game and take over other people's work... given how variable quality control and simple compatibility (with the WoW client and with other addons) can be from moment-to-moment... given how "informal", reactive, and downright apathetic Blizzard has always been about their "platform", its evolution, documentation, defect repair, lack of tooling, and support... given how ad-hoc that has always been... given the sheer volume, quality, and robust value in community-based support being delivered by sites like WoWInterface... and given that 99.999% of the people involved outside of Blizzard don't make (or expect) a penny from any of it... for Blizzard to muscle in as some sort of broker or middleman in this seems INCREDIBLY destructive to me.

seriously, how am i supposed to develop/test under these circumstances? PTR only? the PTR is down for weeks on end, crashes without warning on a daily basis, etc. is that going to change? how can i be responsive to my users, on live realms, when a defect or feature request emerges, if i can't test? if i have to test in some captive environment, i quit being able to leverage that to just play the game, i have to go purely test. are they going to charge some sort of monthly premium for a "developer's license"? for a COMPUTER GAME?

when you start charging people for this stuff, you have to provide REAL PLATFORM SUPPORT. this has implications far beyond an "in game store". i don't think Blizzard has a clue here (unless their intention is to destroy the addon community... and i think that is entirely plausible).

absolutely beyond belief.

i mean, how would it be in Sun Microsystems insisted on approving and distributing (for a fee) every Java open source/JCP prototype/product in existence? make the JVM a closed architecture only capable of operating on packages brokered through Sun? took the whole platform closed/proprietary, charged overhead for the whole thing, while at the same time taking no responsibility for comprehensive platform support, tooling, quality control, configuration management, community development, etc?

i think that would destroy the whole Java platform basically overnight. no-one would waste their time with it. 99% of the value of the platform, to the paying customer, is the value added by layered products (many of which are open source). kill that and the platform is useless.

yes, WoW is "just a computer game", not quite the same, but to some extent i think the effect will be the same.

i don't quite understand what Blizzard believes it is protecting itself from, or protecting us from, or how it is serving its customer base in any way/shape/form, here. i think our community has been incredibly successful, purely as an unfunded volunteer phenomenon. why would anyone capable of strategic thought even want to touch that, much less do this sort of thing?

i think its completely crazy for them to do this. mass insanity. complete disaster in the making.
Zippy said it best: "All life is a BLUR of Republicans and Meat!"
04-01-09, 12:06 PM   #96
Spellshaper
A Murloc Raider

I seriously want that "High Roller" addon No, really.
04-01-09, 12:19 PM   #97
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

You got me, well, Kraftman tricked me into believing it.

Well played guys.
04-01-09, 12:28 PM   #98
mortis
A Kobold Labourer
its fake

HAPPY APRIL FOOLS PEOPLE its fake! :P i wish it were real but you gotta think of blizzard and the PTR im on the PTR they wouldnt give sertain people on the PTR this unless it were fake!! it owuld be nice but i mean... its free here so why woudl we have to pay blizzard for it... wouldnt they have to pay the creaters?
04-01-09, 12:36 PM   #99
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I lol'd.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
04-01-09, 12:45 PM   #100
Khorian
A Defias Bandit
Best april fools day joke I've seen in a long time. I was very pissed there for a second. Was seriously contemplating quitting WoW in protest. This is an april fools joke right?

WoWInterface » Site Forums » News » More Upcoming 3.1 AddOn Changes