09-16-12, 07:37 AM   #1
krakit
A Murloc Raider
Dominos and Nui problem

I held off until the latest update to mention this because I had hoped it would have been fixed. Alas, this was not the case and my problem persists so here goes.

I use both Nui and Dominos and until patch 5 rolled out there was never any problem with either. However, since the release of the latest Blizzard patch, I cannot page through my Dominos action bars (keybind Shift+up arrow/Shift+down arrow).

Virtually I can still scroll/page through my action bars, but visually the action bar is static. If I allow Nui to show the main action bar then scrolling (using the keybinds described above) functions for it, but still not for my Dominos bar.

If I disable Nui completely then my Dominos action bar functions normally.

I didn't want to have to post this because I'm not really that knowledgeable about how addons work or interact and I'm not sure how to help in the troubleshooting of such an issue.

Still, this persistent problem affects my gameplay negatively and I'm desperate for a solution.

09-16-12, 07:48 AM   #2
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'll take a look and see if the new 5.0 bar changes have affected how the two addons are working together.

09-16-12, 08:03 AM   #3
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Well, apart from the fact that I'm surprised the two of them ever worked together seeing as Dominoes is doing what nUI does as standard. There will be a lot of conflicting routines as they try and work with the same blizzard items.

That said, if I run nUI, no errors. If I run dominoes, no errors. If I run them both dominoes reports a bunch of errors. This could be because after it does it's initialisation, nUI then does it's so that by the time that dominoes comes to work with what it does it has problems.

There isn't much we can really do here as nUI cannot turn off it's bars as they are one of the main features of nUI.

An example of the 80+ errors I am receiving ..

Lua Code:
  1. Message: Interface\FrameXML\RestrictedExecution.lua:397: Call failed: Interface\FrameXML\RestrictedExecution.lua:432: Cannot call restricted closure from insecure code
  2. Time: 09/16/12 14:56:31
  3. Count: 11
  4. Stack: [C]: ?
  5. Interface\FrameXML\RestrictedExecution.lua:397: in function <Interface\FrameXML\RestrictedExecution.lua:390>
  6. (tail call): ?
  7. (tail call): ?
  8. Interface\FrameXML\SecureHandlers.lua:490: in function <Interface\FrameXML\SecureHandlers.lua:468>
  9. [C]: in function `SetAttribute'
  10. Interface\FrameXML\SecureHandlers.lua:673: in function <Interface\FrameXML\SecureHandlers.lua:659>
  11. (tail call): ?
  12. Interface\AddOns\Dominos\menuBar.lua:281: in function `AddButton'
  13. Interface\AddOns\Dominos\menuBar.lua:218: in function `Create'
  14. Interface\AddOns\Dominos\frame.lua:17: in function `New'
  15. Interface\AddOns\Dominos\menuBar.lua:30: in function `New'
  16. ...
  17. (tail call): ?
  18. [C]: ?
  19. [string "safecall Dispatcher[1]"]:9: in function <[string "safecall Dispatcher[1]"]:5>
  20. (tail call): ?
  21. ...ce\AddOns\Dominos\libs\AceAddon-3.0\AceAddon-3.0.lua:543: in function `EnableAddon'
  22. ...ce\AddOns\Dominos\libs\AceAddon-3.0\AceAddon-3.0.lua:636: in function <...ce\AddOns\Dominos\libs\AceAddon-3.0\AceAddon-3.0.lua:621>
  23. [C]: in function `LoadAddOn'
  24. Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:299: in function `UIParentLoadAddOn'
  25. Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:322: in function `CombatLog_LoadUI'
  26. Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:692: in function <Interface\FrameXML\UIParent.lua:657>
  28. Locals: (*temporary) = "Call failed: Interface\FrameXML\RestrictedExecution.lua:432: Cannot call restricted closure from insecure code"

Short of telling nUI to turn itself off when Dominoes is running you would simply have to decide which bars you prefer. nUI or dominoes. Unless of course Scott knows if there is something possible to allow them to work together.

Of course the other question on my mind is how the hell are you not seeing all these errors .. hmm, unless you have errors turned off. In which case that would explain it as the errors are probably stopping the finalising code from being run that could be whats affecting the paging. *shrug* .. It is all I can think of at the moment.

Last edited by Xrystal : 09-16-12 at 08:05 AM.

09-16-12, 09:04 AM   #4
Gristadar
A Wyrmkin Dreamwalker

have you checked with dominoes forum, I've noticed they've updated that addon over 20 some times since the patch and the problem maybe related to that addon

09-16-12, 10:00 AM   #5
Chmee
A Molten Giant
I have to wonder what Dominos does for you that nUI does not.

09-16-12, 10:23 AM   #6
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Chmee View Post
I have to wonder what Dominos does for you that nUI does not.
possibly a working extra action bar which is still not working for nUI. I got it almost there. But there is an addon that provides just that bar which would be enough. At least until 6 comes out with it hopefully working now that I figured out how to get it part way there rofl.

09-16-12, 10:38 AM   #7
crazzzzi
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

you just answered my question. i ran regular DS and on Madness the button did not show up. i disabled the better extra action button add-on because the change notes seemed to imply that the button would work during Ultraxion, so i figured it would during Madness also, but sadly no. we ran all the other bosses earlier that afternoon before nUi updated. when i ran Ultraxion earlier i had the extra action button add-on enabled and it worked fine. all in all great job though, i can use that extra action button add-on and still say nUi kicks ass

09-16-12, 10:45 AM   #8
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Yeah, I almost got there with my attempt. I could get it to appear but not as an extra button. And the way Scott creates the action buttons in nUI evades me as to how to incorporate an extra action button special button. So for now, I would suggest using the addon for the extra action button and hopefully *crosses fingers* Scott will get it working just perfect in version 6. Seeing as its used in dungeons it was a might bit hard for me to fix it as trial and error like everything else.

09-16-12, 01:32 PM   #9
krakit
A Murloc Raider
To answer the question "What does Dominos action bars do for me that Nui doesn't/can't":

I figure a picture is worth a thousand words. Basically the layout I prefer is none of the buttons over the Nui "console"(for lack of a better word) appear unless I mouse over them. I prefer it that way, but I have them turned "on" now because of my issue.

The action bar buttons just above the recount panel are my bread and butter buttons. You can tell I'm a shaman.

The small block of buttons in the light blue circle ordinarily allows me to page through all my action bars and I have them keybound to snap to the normal position with a single key stroke. I prefer it this way because I play with the software Switchblade which allows me to use a wireless XBOX controller to play the game and without going into too much detail about that, I've been playing this way since the launch of BC and have no intentions of changing my game style.

If there is a way to recreate the dominos configuration using Nui I am open to that. I haven't discovered a method on my own but would be very interested to do so. I would in fact love to abandon Dominos in favor of an integrated Nui methodology for recreating what I do with Dominos if anyone wants to help me with that.

Thanks.

EDIT: To simplify things, all I wish to be able to do is not only move my action bars around (including and especially the main bar), but to also resize them, change the orientation (from a single row of 12 buttons to any combination of rows and buttons as in a block of 4 by 3).

If possible I would also like to be able to reduce the number of buttons in a given action bar from 12 to as few as one if it suits me.

These tasks are what I use Dominos for since I don't see any way to use Nui to do it.

Thanks agian.

Last edited by krakit : 09-16-12 at 01:45 PM.

09-16-12, 01:32 PM   #10
crazzzzi
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

does anyone know if this button is used on anything outside an instance, maybe a quest?

09-16-12, 01:50 PM   #11
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
No it doesn't. It's only ever used in the dungeons and raids. the Override Bar and the PlayerAlt Bar are used for quests that have special effects or abilities. Hence the problem I have in testing any attempt at a fix for it. I no longer have any of my guildie friends playing now that I can ask to risk a wipe to try it out. And I would not ask anyone else to do the same. Alot of people take that stuff seriously enough that I would rather have people find an addon that will work for them until Scott can put his far greater knowledge to work and have it working when version 6 hits.

Dominoes I think though may be a bit too much as it pretty much replaces EVERY bar nUI has and seeing as nUI is pretty much a unit frame and bar addon rolled into one with extra features it seems to me to defeat the point in having the two running at the same time.

That said, nUI 5.07.26 includes all my changes including the override bar leaving only the extra action bar left to work via another addon for the time being.

As to my attempts at fixing this problem, at the moment, the best I've been able to do with my knowledge of Action Bars that nUI creates is to have the Extra Action Bar appear when needed. However, it would currently override the main action bar which, isn't a good thing as the abilities on the main action bar are still required. So, the need to create a special bar like the possess bar that nUI has would need to be done for the extra action bar but I am not sure what will need to be changed in the possess bar code to work for the extra action bar apart from the Base Action Bar Frame Work name.

09-16-12, 02:02 PM   #12
krakit
A Murloc Raider
Dominos and Nui had been working in perfect harmony for me since at least the tail end of WotLK. I've been using Dominos since pretty much the day I started using any addons at all. As for Nui that's the latecomer.

I really enjoy the layout that I get with Nui, the lack of clutter is what attracted me to it in the first place.

So, there really isn't anything that Nui can do natively to allow me to change my action bar layouts ala Dominos?

Even if none of the other bars could be reconfigured, I would have to have the 4x3 block for the main action bar #1 at a minimum.

I'd hate to have to abandon Nui in favor of that, but it really is that important to me especially with Mists about to come out. Any ideas?

09-16-12, 02:04 PM   #13
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
In answer to the question on whether nUI has the ability to customize the action bars orientation and size the answer is yes but in version 5 it involves editing a layout file and using the mover system to move the frames around and will take some trial and error to get it to your preference.

Someone a long ways back did make a layout change for the action bars for the special N52 or whatever it was called keyboard.

Ah here it is.. http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...70&postcount=6

Take a look at that and at the screenshot he attaches. Hopefully it will give you hope that something is possible.

Version 6 is supposed to be more user configurable without file editing or so Scott says so that will hopefully make things easier.

Bear in mind though that any change you make to the nUI folder will get overwritten when you patch up to a later version so you will have to make sure you keep a copy to reintegrate into the newer version.

09-16-12, 02:08 PM   #14
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Ah, well it is totally understandable coming from dominoes to nUI. I never customised my bartender bars before I moved to nUI to have the problem you are having and of course it helps that I don't need any special bar layouts to make things easier control wise.

Let me know if you get stuck trying out the editing routine. Always back up the file before changing it so you can replace it again if it goes wrong.

09-16-12, 02:09 PM   #15
krakit
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Xrystal View Post
In answer to the question on whether nUI has the ability to customize the action bars orientation and size the answer is yes but in version 5 it involves editing a layout file and using the mover system to move the frames around and will take some trial and error to get it to your preference.

Someone a long ways back did make a layout change for the action bars for the special N52 or whatever it was called keyboard.

Ah here it is.. http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...70&postcount=6

Take a look at that and at the screenshot he attaches. Hopefully it will give you hope that something is possible.

Version 6 is supposed to be more user configurable without file editing or so Scott says so that will hopefully make things easier.

Bear in mind though that any change you make to the nUI folder will get overwritten when you patch up to a later version so you will have to make sure you keep a copy to reintegrate into the newer version.
Oh yikes. Without false modesty I'm going to say that this is over my head. I will try to make do until 6 comes out with hopes that by some chance everything will work out for me one way or the other. I don't think I want to try my hand at editing any config files or whatnot.

*crosses fingers*

09-17-12, 04:52 PM   #16
dracos99
Premium Member
another option

you may also want to try running Ion for configurable buttons. It may play nicer with Nui as it treats everything as custom macro buttons instead or re-purposing standard buttons. I used it alot when it was called Macaroon...and trinity bars before that.

it can be found here

09-25-12, 05:43 AM   #17
krakit
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by dracos99 View Post
you may also want to try running Ion for configurable buttons. It may play nicer with Nui as it treats everything as custom macro buttons instead or re-purposing standard buttons. I used it alot when it was called Macaroon...and trinity bars before that.

it can be found here
Nope, this doesn't work any better than dominos with NUI on.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Bug Reports » Dominos and Nui problem