08-06-08, 11:03 PM   #361
mscott998
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
buffs and debuffs.

Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
Okay... I have been playing with the idea of creating a buff watch list that's easy to look at and this kind of follows along the line of "will buffs still be in the same place"

In a word... no.

Or, more accurately... no on buffs, yes on debuffs. The debuffs on you, your pet and friendlies will still appear on the HUD right next to the health bars. Likewise, the buffs on hostile targets and/or ToT's will also still appear on the HUD next to their health bars. In other words... the things that are detrimental to you still stay where they are on the HUD.

That said, I always hated where I had located the player's buffs (and player pet) as well at target debuffs... in that block just above the dashboard. It was hard to look at (to me) and took up way too much space. So... I want to move that info into the unit frames for the most part. This is also to the benefit of those who do not want to use a HUD.

With that in mind, and the conversation earlier today about having buff bars you can look at, I've come up with the following solution... (see the attached image)

I'll point out this is all configurable, so a "skin" can be made with relative ease that lays this all out differently. Anyway, in this design, the "detail" information about the player's buffs appear in the top left of the screen in a sorted list if you will. It shows what the buffs are, their name, time remaining and number of applications where required.

At the same time, the icons for those buffs appear as small and unobtrusive buttons in the bottom of the player's unit frame. If there is an application count, that is shown on the buff button in the unit frame, but timers are not. A buff that is about to expire will begin to flash in the unit frame and that would be your cue that it's time to refesh or to look at the upper left for status. This way the buttons are very clean in the unit frame, but the information is readily available if you need it and generally located out of the way.

You can see that debuffs on the player also appear in the unit frame, only they are larger (for visibility) and include timers.

So... tell me your thoughts on this approach.

I dont really like the positioning of the buffs in the upper left hand.. i use healbot and the left side of my screen just above the position for buffs as of beta 1 and below the fubar panel is where my healbot is positioned so that it is not in the middle of the screen. i can post a screan shot in a 40 man raid if you like ..

will it take up too much room to put the time in minutes on the icon inside the unit frame with a green timer bar below them.. just a small bar is all that is needed .. i do like the flashing function.. thanks again

Last edited by mscott998 : 08-06-08 at 11:08 PM.

08-07-08, 12:14 AM   #362
Kailef
A Fallenroot Satyr

Okay... I have been playing with the idea of creating a buff watch list <...> So... tell me your thoughts on this approach.
Sounds good to me, so long as it's easily configurable - Position, growth direction and anchor, text side and alignment, etc. I figure that the smart way to do it would be to determine which of the four corners of the buff frame is closest to it's respective screen corner, and automatically select that corner as the anchor and base the growth direction off of that. This will make it much easier for the "bulk" of end users, I think. Folks like mscott998 who don't like it at all (or maybe he just doesn't like the top left hand corner?) can turn it off entirely.

Minor suggestion, which I know is only a flick of the wrist code wise, but still: Since you're using horizontal health bars, you'll probably want to make sure that (at least by default) the health and mana are on the same corresponding side that the HUD uses. I remember in a recent patch that you moved health to the outside arc, and mana to the inside arc. You'll probably want to mirror that positioning in the unit frames to reduce confusion. In case I'm not making sense.... For example, the LEFT side of the solo frame shows you and your pet, with the health bar on the inside (right) and the power/energy bar on the outside (left). If the HUD was visible, the LEFTMOST arc representing your player would show health on the outside arc (left) and the mana/energy would be on the inside arc (right). As such, the HUD and the unit frames would display health and mana/energy on opposite sides, thusly befuddling poor, dyslexic people such as myself.

By the way... Your latest screenshot shows the blizzard minimap off in the upper right... I wonder if that's just because you're testing other features, or if you've taken my earlier suggestion to heart? ~grins~

08-07-08, 01:04 AM   #363
mscott998
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by Kailef View Post
Sounds good to me, so long as it's easily configurable - Position, growth direction and anchor, text side and alignment, etc. I figure that the smart way to do it would be to determine which of the four corners of the buff frame is closest to it's respective screen corner, and automatically select that corner as the anchor and base the growth direction off of that. This will make it much easier for the "bulk" of end users, I think. Folks like mscott998 who don't like it at all (or maybe he just doesn't like the top left hand corner?) can turn it off entirely.

Minor suggestion, which I know is only a flick of the wrist code wise, but still: Since you're using horizontal health bars, you'll probably want to make sure that (at least by default) the health and mana are on the same corresponding side that the HUD uses. I remember in a recent patch that you moved health to the outside arc, and mana to the inside arc. You'll probably want to mirror that positioning in the unit frames to reduce confusion. In case I'm not making sense.... For example, the LEFT side of the solo frame shows you and your pet, with the health bar on the inside (right) and the power/energy bar on the outside (left). If the HUD was visible, the LEFTMOST arc representing your player would show health on the outside arc (left) and the mana/energy would be on the inside arc (right). As such, the HUD and the unit frames would display health and mana/energy on opposite sides, thusly befuddling poor, dyslexic people such as myself.

By the way... Your latest screenshot shows the blizzard minimap off in the upper right... I wonder if that's just because you're testing other features, or if you've taken my earlier suggestion to heart? ~grins~

Yes i agree on the buffs and debuffs list. an option to turn off the left top list and maby an option for the bars and numbers on the unitframe icons.

as for the health and mana bars.. what if the health bar was on the left of the unitframe and the mana was on the right... with the percent at the bottom so you can see the percent of both rather than just one..i like seeing my mana and health amount in raw numbers and in percentages.,

On the minimap.. i rather like the toggle option you said before about it going into the bottom right frame.. i like how the screen is open on and the minimap in the top right corner would clutter .. just my opinion.
are you still exploring the option of a square minimap?

Oh one last thing.. the cast bar had just percent can it show the cast time in seconds.

08-07-08, 06:11 AM   #364
Thonero
A Kobold Labourer
AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Bug

I don't know if this already have been reported so I just start talking about it.

When I started using this fantastic UI (Yesterday evening) it worked perfect. But I was only using it and no other mods, then when I added Ora2, Omen2, Recount, Metamap, Talented, Atlas and deadly boss mods the switching utility in the lower right corner stopped working.

Also when I was going to raid I noticed that the party frames did not disappear and they were under the raid frames, annoying...

I took a ss of it, hope it helps.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...608_225621.jpg

Thanks for this great UI, it's exactly what I've been looking for, keep up the good work!!

/Edit: I just remembered now that the minimap icons are under the raid frames, thats not too good when I need to use em during raids. ^^

Last edited by Thonero : 08-07-08 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Remembered another thing I want to write here.

08-07-08, 11:30 AM   #365
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This is a hit and run...

I'm curious what folks think of this layout... (see attached) Third time's the charm?

I'd kind of like to get a sense of which unit bar concept folks are most comfortable with as the default.

In the meantime, I'm going to get back to finishing the core code so I can get a release out. You guys tell me which unit frames you like best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SoloUnitPanel_NoMouseover.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	1823  Click image for larger version

Name:	SoloUnitPanel_ToTT.jpg
Views:	1037
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	1824  

08-07-08, 12:13 PM   #366
blackfirefox
An Aku'mai Servant

I'm curious what folks think of this layout... (see attached) Third time's the charm?

I'd kind of like to get a sense of which unit bar concept folks are most comfortable with as the default.

In the meantime, I'm going to get back to finishing the core code so I can get a release out. You guys tell me which unit frames you like best.
Spiel,

No matter what layout people choose, your interface is truly amazing and I will support whatever decision people have on this, I like everything I have seen, but then again I am not picky, cause I dont raid, and I dont pvp, because I suck completely, but I am improving.

Take it easy man,

BlackFireFox

08-07-08, 12:23 PM   #367
Seer
A Molten Giant

Well.. I prefered the first one myself.. With the focus in the middle...

/edit
But anyway, if you make it customizable, I see no reason not to have both ? (Other then the work it could mean on your part...)

Last edited by Seer : 08-07-08 at 03:28 PM.

08-07-08, 12:33 PM   #368
Archippus
A Cyclonian
Aha - I found another sumthin' sumthin' that might deserve some love for beta 2. I get an icon and a timer for my buffs, but no other indication of what they are (as in a mouseover tooltip, or anything). Some buffs can be easily identified by their picture. Others... like poison... not so much.

I could see that both of my weapons were poisoned by the buff icon indicators displayed just above the dashboards. But, I had applied the poison during my last session and didn't remember if it was deadly poison or instant poison. I had to go to the character screen to find out because the buff indicators didn't tell me.

And now, you know.

And knowing is half the battle.

Go Joe.

[EDIT]
Hmm. I logged out to type this and tinker around Wowhead, logged back in, and now there are tooltips for the buff icons. Must've been a glitch. A bug! *gasp* What kind of shoddy operation is this!?!?! ;-)

tee hee
[/EDIT]

['NUTHER EDIT]
Aaaah! It's happening again! Here's the chain of events to recreate the situation....

1. I poisoned my main hand weapon (a mace) and my off hand weapon (a sword). Both poisoned weapons showed up on my buff bar, and both had working tooltips that displayed complete weapon info, including the poison.

2. I went into stealth. I have a stealth macro that, in addition to stealthing me, changes my main-hand weapon to a dagger that I have in my backpack. When armed with my dagger, my poisoned mace and sword buffs disappeared from the buff bar, as expected.

3. I approached my target and attacked with an ambush. I use a macro button that, upon casting ambush, immediately places my mace and sword back in my main and off hand, respectively.

4. When my primary weapons were back in my hands, the weapons re-appeared in my buff bar with poison timers, but the tool tips no longer functioned.
[/'NUTHER EDIT]

Last edited by Archippus : 08-07-08 at 01:02 PM.

08-07-08, 12:37 PM   #369
Archippus
A Cyclonian

Not sure I understand what I'm looking at. I'm assuming the 2nd screenie is the party frame layout. What's the first layout, with the six frames?

08-07-08, 01:48 PM   #370
eloora
A Fallenroot Satyr

Not sure I like how the hp/mana bars keep shrinking in either new revision.

08-07-08, 03:53 PM   #371
Yamomma
A Murloc Raider
help request plz

First spiel, this is great work man and you seem like a really good dude taking everyone's opinions into consideration!

Ok, for the help request - those of you using additional adds...

i've used an ass-ton of mods since release in '04 but can't get a few to work with nui i think cuz i'm so used to everything being separate and not so much integrated like this.

omen and recount - i saw a post to delete the .lua from wtf saved vars and char saved so i did, but no luck. does this mean the .lua.bak as well (cuz i did)? and is this going in the nui addon folder or interface addon folder?

mobinfo - i can't get this to work at all, and will there be an option in beta2 to use this within the new party frames?

well, that's all i have for now, i can keep playing with it but i figured i'd go ahead and ask help while i was giving props to spiel - you rock bro!

08-07-08, 07:38 PM   #372
gothicknight
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Yamomma, Ok when deleting your SavVar from your WTF, yes it also means delete the .lua.bak.

Second extract ANY mods that you want to use into your addons folder. nUI will detect Omen2/recount/mobinfo etc automatically.

mob info is pretty easy. install it and let it go. It adds thing to the tooltip which allow you to see what loot the your target has dropped etc.

Spiel, I am not sure if u want to do this but could u add support for LibMobHealth 4.0 and LibQuickhealth. Both can be found on WoWAce

LibMobHealth adds the exact amount of health to your unitframes, party, target etc. and LibQuickhealth makes the unitframes get the data straight from the combat log so it is much more accurate and and the user can see the health loss/gain much quicker.

Those are just rough explainations.

Love your work. Looking Forward to beta2 and no matter how u make the frames, i bet it will still be amazing.

08-07-08, 07:44 PM   #373
Yamomma
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by gothicknight View Post
Yamomma, Ok when deleting your SavVar from your WTF, yes it also means delete the .lua.bak.

Second extract ANY mods that you want to use into your addons folder. nUI will detect Omen2/recount/mobinfo etc automatically.

mob info is pretty easy. install it and let it go. It adds thing to the tooltip which allow you to see what loot the your target has dropped etc.

Spiel, I am not sure if u want to do this but could u add support for LibMobHealth 4.0 and LibQuickhealth. Both can be found on WoWAce

LibMobHealth adds the exact amount of health to your unitframes, party, target etc. and LibQuickhealth makes the unitframes get the data straight from the combat log so it is much more accurate and and the user can see the health loss/gain much quicker.

Those are just rough explainations.

Love your work. Looking Forward to beta2 and no matter how u make the frames, i bet it will still be amazing.
Yep, that's exactly what i did but don't get the options for them when changing party/raid/map, and it none of the slash commands for omen or recount work either

... mobinfo, i got it working like that on tooltips but i was asking about what you just suggested to spiel

08-07-08, 07:56 PM   #374
gothicknight
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

with omen and recount, when you press the button to swith party/raid etc, it should say stats. that is the recount window. one page after that the bubble should say omen. Now you will only see omen workin while u r in combat, the other times u will see the stats (recount window).

08-07-08, 08:03 PM   #375
Yamomma
A Murloc Raider
with omen and recount, when you press the button to swith party/raid etc, it should say stats. that is the recount window. one page after that the bubble should say omen. Now you will only see omen workin while u r in combat, the other times u will see the stats (recount window).
i appreciate the replies bro, but that's the issue - the only pages the bubble pops through is party, raid, and map - i've cleaned out and reinstalled everything one-by-one (including nui) usually i play with **** until i get it to work but this one has me frustrated.

btw, everything works with no errors, including a lot of other addons, but i tried it with just nui, omen, and recount - i'm missing something simple i'm sure

08-07-08, 08:14 PM   #376
gothicknight
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Hrmm, ok now this is prolly gunna sound like a pain in ass thing to do, but have u made a backup of your WTF folder and deleted ALL your savvars. Like i said it migt sound like a pain in butt, but that is the only thing i can think of for being the reason for it not working.

Also just double your Addons directory your should have and nUI folder, Omen folder and Recount folder (as well asn what other addons your r using). I am sorry if i am making it sound as though u dont no how to do it, that is not my intention.

08-07-08, 08:29 PM   #377
Yamomma
A Murloc Raider
Hrmm, ok now this is prolly gunna sound like a pain in ass thing to do, but have u made a backup of your WTF folder and deleted ALL your savvars. Like i said it migt sound like a pain in butt, but that is the only thing i can think of for being the reason for it not working.

Also just double your Addons directory your should have and nUI folder, Omen folder and Recount folder (as well asn what other addons your r using). I am sorry if i am making it sound as though u dont no how to do it, that is not my intention.
no it's cool man, appreciate u trying to help - i did that once but i've tried a few different other things since so maybe i corrupted a file somewhere so that will probably do it - i'll do that again when beta2 is here cuz at this point i've gotten everything the way i want it and am feeling lazy to have to do it again and then redo everything again with that new and sexy layout coming

08-07-08, 08:35 PM   #378
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Woohoo...

I just got my WotLK beta test key.... so... nUI will be WotLK ready when the day comes.

But... first the beta 2... ~lol~

(back to work)

08-07-08, 08:40 PM   #379
Archippus
A Cyclonian
I just got my WotLK beta test key.... so... nUI will be WotLK ready when the day comes.

(back to work)
Congrats, and yay!

08-07-08, 09:14 PM   #380
mfrnka
Premium Member

(back to work)
Beta 2 before WotLK... such willpower. We're not worthy!!

Thanks for all your hard work. Makes my WOW time immensely more enjoyable.

Donation coming your way.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » nUI -- A full feature standalone UI replacement