03-21-09, 01:21 AM   #1
WeeBaby
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Moving UI to Alt's

I have heard there is a way to set one toon up and then move those settings to another toon without having to go and set each toon up. Being that I have 9 alts this would be a godsend. Please if there is a way to do this let me know in the simplest way possible. When it comes to moving/deleting/copying folders it scares the hell out of me. Thanks all very much!

03-21-09, 01:26 AM   #2
GrissomXIX
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

This is done easily, for me, by using a mostly Ace add-on structure. A majority of the add-ons I use save a global setting (default variables) saved over the entirety of my account so when I log on to each individual character (no matter the server) most of my UI is intact.

The only things I usually have to copy/paste are the chat and layout files so that the channels, colors and location of windows are all universal.
03-21-09, 01:48 AM   #3
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

There's also Reflux. It can be found in the addons section by entering "Reflux" in the search box.
03-21-09, 10:24 PM   #4
WeeBaby
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Isn't there a way to copy and paste folders?

03-21-09, 11:22 PM   #5
GrissomXIX
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Unfortunately the only way I've found (know of) is manually in the WTF folder itself. An add-on that modifies or moves game files would be immediately nerfed by Blizzard and I would never trust one.
03-22-09, 02:42 AM   #6
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by GrissomXIX View Post
Unfortunately the only way I've found (know of) is manually in the WTF folder itself. An add-on that modifies or moves game files would be immediately nerfed by Blizzard and I would never trust one.

Maybe you should look at the description on the download page before making assumptions of this nature.
03-23-09, 02:53 AM   #7
GrissomXIX
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
Maybe you should look at the description on the download page before making assumptions of this nature.
I see nowhere in the description where it states that the add-on will copy/paste your chat window settings, colours or layouts aside from making a profile for the other add-ons that you currently have. So tell me, where did I make the assumption..?

Don't try and be all high and mighty when the add-on description says nothing of copying/pasting chat-cache.txt or layout-local.txt which would is required to keep the same chat window position and colour scheme which is usually included, pre-configured, in the WTF folder of any decent compilation. Thanks for trying though.

Regardless of any automation done by an add-on, you'll still have to manually copy/paste your chat and layout settings to every character on every server that you play on. This is pretty easily done and won't require too much effort as long as you copy the required files.

- chat-cache.old
- chat-cache.txt
- layout-local.txt

All of which are found in the World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\(USERNAME)\(SERVER)\(character name) folder(s). Configure one character and copy/paste the settings to the rest of the characters on every server and that will cover your chat layout.

As far as regular add-ons, Reflux might be worth looking at (and any really helpful person would include the link) just for straight add-on design profile concerns.

Last edited by GrissomXIX : 03-23-09 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Added more info and a useful link thing.
03-23-09, 07:25 AM   #8
Yhor
A Pyroguard Emberseer

(and any really helpful person would include the link)
You're probably right. I had no intention of being helpful. /sarcasm

It's been a really ugly weekend, I have no intention of arguing, here, I misread what you were responding to and I have no excuse. I hope a solution was found for the problem Weebaby was having.
03-23-09, 12:23 PM   #9
GrissomXIX
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I'm not sure how it would be accomplished through an add-on, but I don't believe it can and has to be done manually, sorry Wee.
03-23-09, 03:29 PM   #10
WeeBaby
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Just a silly question (maybe) Do I move the "Saved Variables" folder too? Basicly, copy and paste the entire World of Warcraft\WTF\Account\(USERNAME)\(SERVER)\(character name) to another toons folder correct?

I just really don't to screw up. Thanks all very much!!!

03-23-09, 04:09 PM   #11
GrissomXIX
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

You very well could do that as it will copy the per-character saved settings from the first toon you configured. That I was what I usually do when I clear and rebuild my UI from scratch. I log in on my first character, build the UI and arrange everything. Then I copy the folder, paste it and rename it to my next character and so on.
03-23-09, 04:49 PM   #12
WeeBaby
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Thanks Grissom!

03-24-09, 02:46 AM   #13
GrissomXIX
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

My pleasure.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Moving UI to Alt's