11-30-07, 10:48 AM   #1
Dribble
A Defias Bandit
Need recommendation on lightweight laptop that can play wow

Hello,
I am trying to accomplish the impossible- finding a lightweight laptop that will play WOW when I am traveling. I have been looking at very lightweight notebooks such as the SONY Vaio SZ series, the Dell XPS M1330 and the like. Notebooks that have about an Intel Core duo 2.0 Ghz proc. I can spend about 2K but it MUST be light. The problem is the graphics card capabilities (if there even is one). I am concerned that 128 mb of resources for the graphics is not enough and am trying to find at least 256 mb.
Has anyone been down this road? Where did you end up? Anyone try WOW with Sony Vaio's hybridized graphics controllers? Any notebook suggestions? What compromizes did you make?

Many thanks,
Dribble
11-30-07, 11:35 AM   #2
alan120880
An Aku'mai Servant

i am using a bog standard off the shelf Dell inspiron 6400

all i done is added another gig of ram to it and it is working just fine. its a good laptop even if it is running vista and i have no probs what so ever with proformance issues, i get around 20FPS with a whole bag of addons and with none i get around 40+,

hope this helps
keep safe

11-30-07, 02:39 PM   #3
ReverendD
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This is what I ended up with - Everex XT5000T . I got it at newegg.com and added a second gig of ram for under $900. Its made by Fujistsu and after 6 months I am very happy with it. I wiped Vista however and put XP on it, but either way it runs well, but XP is faster and Xubuntu runs like a dream.

I am not sure what you consider to be light though. I consider this laptop light even though it weighs in at 8.54 lbs. I have no issues carrying it around in one hand while typing with the other for long periods, so it really depends on what you consider light. But I would consider this a great portable desktop replacement.
11-30-07, 03:00 PM   #4
Dribble
A Defias Bandit
"Light" vs. "ultralight"

Hi there,
Nice of you both to respond! Thanks!
I should have been more specific about "light". The two machines I mentioned start under 4 or 5 lbs. before bells and whistles are added. I know, I am crazy. I am trying to find that finest line of what I can get away with.
If I tried that trick of lugging an 8lb. laptop with one hand and typing with the other I'd probably break a heel and fall over.
11-30-07, 03:09 PM   #5
alan120880
An Aku'mai Servant

i paid about 75$ for my extra gig and the laptop its self is only around 600 - 650 tops i think

and on the light side of things........8lb dude if u cant carry 8lb for a few hours go work out some lol i have no probs with it and i spend my days walking around with the thing on my arm typing and stuff,

Last edited by alan120880 : 11-30-07 at 03:11 PM.
11-30-07, 03:23 PM   #6
Lantel
A Cyclonian

I'm in the same situation thanks for the tips!
11-30-07, 04:02 PM   #7
ReverendD
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by alan120880
i paid about 75$ for my extra gig and the laptop its self is only around 600 - 650 tops i think

and on the light side of things........8lb dude if u cant carry 8lb for a few hours go work out some lol i have no probs with it and i spend my days walking around with the thing on my arm typing and stuff,
I dont think Dribble is a dude, thus the 'break a heel' comment. 8-P

As for the cost, it was $799 and $45 for the extra gig of ram. I got a little extra item as well that bumped it up to $900. If it has gone down in price thats a good thing for others, but considering the amount of power you get for $900 in a laptop, I think it was a good buy - not to mention built in numberpad. Looking at getting a second one for my wife before too much longer so we can play WoW together again.
11-30-07, 04:36 PM   #8
FelixTeCat
A Fallenroot Satyr
I use a MacBook Pro with a 2.33 Intel Core 2 Duo and 4 gigs of ram, and I never have issues. And it come in a a huge 5.4 pounds (2.45 kg) with battery and optical drive installed!
12-01-07, 12:29 AM   #9
jonathon
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

Originally Posted by FelixTeCat
I use a MacBook Pro with a 2.33 Intel Core 2 Duo and 4 gigs of ram, and I never have issues. And it come in a a huge 5.4 pounds (2.45 kg) with battery and optical drive installed!
I hope you never have any problem with those specs, lol....

ps. yeah a mac user...
12-02-07, 04:01 PM   #10
Dribble
A Defias Bandit
not a dude, still welcome feedback to orig. post

Hi all,
AAhhh, the MAC answer, yes. A very valid one but unfortunately I can't go in that direction. I do welcome any other suggestions or input though.
Dribble (definitely not a dude LOL)

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » Need recommendation on lightweight laptop that can play wow