02-12-10, 09:39 AM   #1
Raxnor
A Cliff Giant

Music Addon?

SO i heard from a couple friends that there is a mod that you can play your own music ingame?!?!?!, anyways i did a google research and it send me to cursegaming now as i was reading all the comments on this addon pages i saw a post that running vista its not gonna work, now my question is anyone knows if this the case and if not can someone direct me to a music player addon that works w/vista.
Thanks in advance
02-12-10, 11:31 AM   #2
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
OK, yes there are music players for WoW however there are a couple of special things that have to be done to play your music in WoW using an in-game music player:
  • Your music must be in an mp3 or wav format.
  • Your music needs to be copied into the music player AddOn's folder or use the folder structure that the AddOn specifies.
Regarding music player AddOns and Vista, they should work the same. The trick is not to install WoW into your Program Files folder as Windows Vista and 7
lock that folder down. Only certified installer programs (such as Windows Installer or Nullsoft Installer for example) have read/write access to Program Files. Thus you cannot drop your music files into the music AddOns folder as Vista/7.

If your WoW install is like this:

Code:
C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft
Then that is why a music player AddOn is not working. Reason why is due to the protect nature of Program Files, WoW has to relocate the user accessible bits (and the bits that WoW needs to modify to save your settings) to a special folder that is normally hidden from the user:

Code:
C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\World of Warcraft\
Some AddOns such as a music player may be broken due to this move.

The solution is to simply cut and paste your WoW folder into a new folder such as a "Games" folder. Example:

Code:
C:\Games\World of Warcraft
Then you have full access to your AddOns folder and your music player AddOn will work just fine. You can then use the selection of music players found here on WoWI or Curse, including the one that is linked in the post after mine.

Realistically, all of your games should be installed OUTSIDE of the Program Files folder as many will want to access their application folder to save games and such. Plus by installing outside the Program Files folder you now regain the ability to install mods, AddOns and such.

If you got another partition or drive, you can move your WoW installation to that partition/drive and your WoW install will be quite happy. This also means, that if you need to reinstall Windows, you don't lose your WoW install (unless what ever forced the Windows reinstall also hoses your other partitions/drives).

Last edited by Zyonin : 02-12-10 at 11:44 AM.
02-12-10, 11:37 AM   #3
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Epic Music Player works fine in Windows Se7en so I'm guessing Vista will be ok too.
(I skipped that pOS so have only tested in WinXP and Win7)
02-12-10, 03:59 PM   #4
Raxnor
A Cliff Giant

Thanks for the help and the link, it took me a lil bit to understand how to make the folders for EMP but i got it working now , awesome help
02-13-10, 01:49 AM   #5
Limb0
A Cobalt Mageweaver

A longtime user, I second EMP (LDB, minimap or GUI controlled).
02-13-10, 03:26 AM   #6
AxnJackson11
A Fallenroot Satyr
easy solution

ummm, just have itunes or windows media player on in the background with your music, no hassle....
02-13-10, 04:52 AM   #7
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by AxnJackson11 View Post
ummm, just have itunes or windows media player on in the background with your music, no hassle....
Some people don't like Alt-Tabbing to play their music. Plus iTunes and WMP are both pigs when it comes to system resources so if you are a bit stretched, the in-game music player may be a bit better as it utilizes WoW's built-in music/sound engine. The other issue with Alt-tabbing out is you run the risk of getting ganked while you are not looking at your WoW window. No, running in Windowed mode is not a solution unless one has a beefy system.

The other solution is to run Winamp and use its global hot keys. However, again, if you are tight on resources, Winamp will use some resource though not as much as iTunes or WMP.

Last edited by Zyonin : 02-13-10 at 04:54 AM.
02-13-10, 05:50 AM   #8
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Until I got a secondary monitor, I just ran in full windowed mode and had WinAmp in WinShade mode at the top of the screen in game. Worked pretty good cuz there was no way I was dragging 40 some GB of music into my WoW directory lol.
02-13-10, 12:49 PM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Multi-media keys on your keyboard == win
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-13-10, 12:51 PM   #10
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Global Hotkeys + Amarok = Win
02-13-10, 01:08 PM   #11
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by Zyonin View Post
Global Hotkeys + <your favorite audio player> = Win
There, I fixed it for you.
02-13-10, 01:43 PM   #12
Limb0
A Cobalt Mageweaver

Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
I use the Razer Lycosa Mirror which has these keys, but the reasons I have for using an in-game player are..
-lighter weight (not much of an issue, but I prefer the confidence of not risking a d/c, especially on my full server)
-music when I want it, game music when it's concentration time without going through menus
-also has keybindings (or click control if you prefer)
-after the initial setup, adding and changing music is as simple as iTunes, well almost
-in game artist, title display (not sure if winamp has an overlay ability, and I prefer Razer peripherals so no g4/5 w display)

Last edited by Limb0 : 02-13-10 at 01:45 PM. Reason: typo

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » Music Addon?