04-29-09, 12:15 PM   #1
xanthakita
A Defias Bandit
Smile WoW/Twitter addon

With the TOS etc, is there any possible way of integrating twitter into an addon for WoW?

I don't want to beat my head against the wall if there is no point! On the other hand, if there is a possibility, I may need some assistance.. but that will come later!

Thanks,
Xanthakita
04-29-09, 12:52 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
No, addons cannot interact with anything outside of the game.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

04-29-09, 01:27 PM   #3
Graloth
Premium Member

actually they can, partly, but not in a live fashion, the addons that do it usually have a program connected to them that collects and sends the data when the user starts it, for example wowhead, curse client to mention a few.
04-29-09, 03:05 PM   #4
Hirsute
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
No, those addons aren't interacting with anything outside of the game. They store information in their saved variables files just like any other addon. The out-of-game clients then parse the SV files and send the information.

As stated, addons are not permitted to interact with anything outside of the game. I don't think there's really any way to do it, and if there is, it would most certainly be considered an exploit.

The best you could hope for, is an out-of-game program that wrote twitter information into an addon's SV file, but new tweets would only be available to the addon when initially logging in, as a ui reload would overwrite the SV file with whatever is currently in memory.
04-29-09, 11:09 PM   #5
xanthakita
A Defias Bandit
thanks

That'swhat I was afraid of. I suppose I can understand Blizzards perspective on this to a point, but it sure would be nice to be able to use twitter while in game.. two addictions at once that way!

thanks for the replys much appreciated!
04-29-09, 11:44 PM   #6
Graloth
Premium Member

you can try to run in windows mode with fullscreen and just a twitter program open, that way you wont actually minimize the game, the twitter program will just appear "in front" of the game
05-01-09, 04:25 PM   #7
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

xanthakita,

Lookie what I found....

http://www.wowinsider.com/2009/05/01...d-of-warcraft/
05-01-09, 05:01 PM   #8
BWarner
A Black Drake

Even better, depending on your needs and uses, is GotGame's Rogue in-game browser. Resizeable, hidden when not in use, press F11 to bring it to the front (configurable, I believe, on opacity and control keybindings), and set to instantly hide on a number of events, including entering battle.

It's not an addon, but a browser that will overlay on top of any gaming application.
05-01-09, 05:54 PM   #9
Xolan
A Fallenroot Satyr
PLAYXPERT (sorry but it's name is indeed written in caps :P) is basically a modular application capable of doing lots of tricks while being in-game. It's library of widgets are currently lacking, but I'm sure there'll be a Twitter widget soon

EDIT: just noticed the post above...
05-23-09, 11:40 PM   #10
ladeegrey
A Kobold Labourer
wowtwitter.com

Look what I found... Doesn't look like it interfaces with WOW, but might be closer to what you are looking for...

www.wowtwitter.com
05-24-09, 12:08 AM   #11
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Xolan View Post
PLAYXPERT (sorry but it's name is indeed written in caps :P) is basically a modular application capable of doing lots of tricks while being in-game. It's library of widgets are currently lacking, but I'm sure there'll be a Twitter widget soon

EDIT: just noticed the post above...
There is a Twitter addon for PLAYXPERT
05-24-09, 08:34 AM   #12
nickyjean
Premium Member
Premium Member
The one with wow insider is a posting after you leave the game. But for those of us who should be taking random breaks when you log out of wow you can then up load into the blog posting. I love it really but I have a double posting issue.

Nicky
------------------------------------------------------
for those you haven't got their game on check out MntDew's Game Fuel. From what I hear Free Pet for enrolling.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Search/Requests » WoW/Twitter addon