09-14-12, 01:51 PM   #101
MAMMONMACHINE
A Defias Bandit
I have a couple simple questions, which may have already been answered, but I got tired of wading through all the negative stuff already in this thread. Not saying it's not justified, or that it is, just got tired of it.

Anyway, thank you Faatal for updating. Do you plan to continue fixing bugs and maintaining the add on? Would you consider working with Rythal or other programmers outside of your group, since you've noted how busy you are? There are plenty of talented, willing people who love your add on and would love to help. Please consider it. We all love Carbonite, and we all want it to remain up to date and useable. Also, would you please update the add on on Curse Client when you get a chance? Many users prefer not to mess with their system folders when installing addons.

Thank you, Faatal, and the rest of you at Carbonite, and Rythal, for all your hard work. Please keep it up.

09-14-12, 03:56 PM   #102
shadow78
A Cliff Giant
about copyright stuff.. it's over and done with..

Rythal is working on his own with His own code.

posting is here.
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...008#post264008

Last edited by shadow78 : 09-15-12 at 05:23 AM.

09-14-12, 04:11 PM   #103
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by MAMMONMACHINE View Post
I have a couple simple questions, which may have already been answered, but I got tired of wading through all the negative stuff already in this thread. Not saying it's not justified, or that it is, just got tired of it.

Anyway, thank you Faatal for updating. Do you plan to continue fixing bugs and maintaining the add on? Would you consider working with Rythal or other programmers outside of your group, since you've noted how busy you are? There are plenty of talented, willing people who love your add on and would love to help. Please consider it. We all love Carbonite, and we all want it to remain up to date and useable. Also, would you please update the add on on Curse Client when you get a chance? Many users prefer not to mess with their system folders when installing addons.

Thank you, Faatal, and the rest of you at Carbonite, and Rythal, for all your hard work. Please keep it up.
Good questions Mammonmachine - Fataal has said he plans on keeping the addon up and running (and will let the community know if/when they discontinue it. As to if that means all the bugs will be fixed and maintained quickly, we don't know.

Originally Posted by carboniteaddon View Post
when we are no longer updating Carbonite, we will let it be known. Barring Haavok and I keeling over in the same week or an EMP / solar flare taking out the power grid, you should know.
As to taking on another person and having them help fix and maintain the code, my guess is that they are not willing/able to do that at this time - many people have requested or offered their service in the past and they have not taken them up on it.

Hopefully that will help some of your questions until such a time as Carbonite responds. I believe they may be more active during the weekend if they have time.

@Shadow - when someone creates something just as good or better than Carbonite, or the authors tell us they are no longer updating or having anyone else update Carbonite - that is when Carbonite will die. I hope Rythal is able to create something better than Carbonite, but all I/we can do is wait and see. Everything else has been beaten to death, no need to reiterate it all over again.

09-14-12, 09:08 PM   #104
grynder
A Defias Bandit
dungeon/bg minimap button not showing, cant leave queue

Thanks for updating Carbonite, ive done little on the game till it was updated, blizz default is dull and boring, cant stand any of it, however im facing a few problems, since they've combined the bg/dungeon finder to an eye instead of having alliance/horde icon on minimap when in queue for bg, it does not show on minimap bars.
You cannot mouse over it to see time in queue, leave bg, or leave/teleport out/in of dungeon. Is there a fix for this coming? Hopefully soon!

On another note, is there anyone that knows /command macro to teleport in/out of dungeon or /leave queue,
/leave bg? I've googled it but come up with nothing.

Thanks for your awesome work!
Grynder.

Last edited by grynder : 09-14-12 at 09:16 PM.

09-14-12, 09:14 PM   #105
grynder
A Defias Bandit
@schizophrena

It'll be a cold day in hell before any new addon beats carbonite or even compares to it, IMPO! I've used carbonite for several years, back when it was a pay for addon. If and when something does come out as good or better I can only hope someone will post it somewhere here in this forum and not keep it a secret =). But by then im sure i'll possibly have quit wow. Each patch/exp they do they pussify the game more and more. But again that's my <IMPO>!!!

Last edited by grynder : 09-14-12 at 09:19 PM.

09-15-12, 01:38 AM   #106
MAMMONMACHINE
A Defias Bandit
@schizophrena

Thank you for your timely and intelligent response. I probably missed it on here somewhere, but where is Fataal saying these things that he's saying?

09-15-12, 09:44 PM   #107
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Originally Posted by MAMMONMACHINE View Post
Thank you for your timely and intelligent response. I probably missed it on here somewhere, but where is Fataal saying these things that he's saying?
On the specific quotes I gave, you can click on the quote and it'll direct you to the post. Otherwise, look at Fataals profile (click his username) and then go to recently commented posts to see his actual comments and the threads they relate to.

09-16-12, 02:24 AM   #108
MAMMONMACHINE
A Defias Bandit
@schizophrena

Man, I feel dumb. Guess I should stop doing this early in the morning. Thanks for the help!

09-18-12, 11:56 AM   #109
Drencarnate
A Murloc Raider
Agreed

Originally Posted by schizophrena View Post
Good questions Mammonmachine - Fataal has said he plans on keeping the addon up and running (and will let the community know if/when they discontinue it. As to if that means all the bugs will be fixed and maintained quickly, we don't know.

As to taking on another person and having them help fix and maintain the code, my guess is that they are not willing/able to do that at this time - many people have requested or offered their service in the past and they have not taken them up on it.

Hopefully that will help some of your questions until such a time as Carbonite responds. I believe they may be more active during the weekend if they have time.

@Shadow - when someone creates something just as good or better than Carbonite, or the authors tell us they are no longer updating or having anyone else update Carbonite - that is when Carbonite will die. I hope Rythal is able to create something better than Carbonite, but all I/we can do is wait and see. Everything else has been beaten to death, no need to reiterate it all over again.
It' very clear schizophrena has been proven wrong multiple times in this illuminating thread. No need to re-reiterate the reiteration we see reiterated above. /end ironic sarcasm

09-24-12, 08:03 PM   #110
Destructor2012
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
My 2 cents...I see the author(s) posted an update. That's good. What's bad about it is not bothering to answer about whether there would be an update for MOP or not. If they didn't know, all they had to say was "I don't know." I understand real life takes precedence and all of that, but if you're so busy that you can't even spare a couple minutes to post a simple status update, then perhaps it's best if you relinquish the project to someone else. I get that it's your addon, your code, etc., but like I said, since you apparently do not have the time to properly maintain it and respond to bug reports, feature requests, etc. and by your own admission do not play WoW anymore, then it should be passed off to someone else. A lot of the great addons over the years have gone through similar situations, so it's not like this would be the first one for that to happen to. If you want to keep the addon up to date and maintain it and respond to the community, great, but if you can't do all of those things, then pass it off or simply let the project die and something better will come along eventually, like with many other former addons. Cartographer is a good example of this.

09-29-12, 12:38 AM   #111
Drencarnate
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by milz2 View Post
awesome that nearly 2 weeks after a patch comes out that the original addon writer has finally had the nerve to say something after the hundreds of posts asking where he has been.

I wish the author(s) would read this + let it sink in until they understand it.

09-29-12, 12:21 PM   #112
Emweekins8807
A Murloc Raider
Unhappy When is there going to be another update for MOP?

I really love this addon and using it for questing...it would be much appreciated if the quest system and maps were updated for MOP!

09-29-12, 12:24 PM   #113
davie261
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Destructor2012 View Post
My 2 cents...I see the author(s) posted an update. That's good. What's bad about it is not bothering to answer about whether there would be an update for MOP or not. If they didn't know, all they had to say was "I don't know." I understand real life takes precedence and all of that, but if you're so busy that you can't even spare a couple minutes to post a simple status update, then perhaps it's best if you relinquish the project to someone else. I get that it's your addon, your code, etc., but like I said, since you apparently do not have the time to properly maintain it and respond to bug reports, feature requests, etc. and by your own admission do not play WoW anymore, then it should be passed off to someone else. A lot of the great addons over the years have gone through similar situations, so it's not like this would be the first one for that to happen to. If you want to keep the addon up to date and maintain it and respond to the community, great, but if you can't do all of those things, then pass it off or simply let the project die and something better will come along eventually, like with many other former addons. Cartographer is a good example of this.
One more cent added:

Being a long time user of this once awesome tool to help me in my game play, after many years of depending on it as my #1 addon for WoW, and even donating real money years ago, I believe it is time to let go.

I found myself trying to still hang on and play with this broken pieced together mess of code, patched just enough to keep it from dragging the game down to 2 fps with errors everywhere. I understand it is the baby of a couple coders who wanted to make the game better for themselves and us back in the day when they created it, but as I have seen in several quotes from the original author, they don't play the game anymore, do not check the forums, or where even aware there was new content coming that would certainly break their once beautiful baby to the point of being unusable

Even after the latest release on 9/10, and the patch from Rythal, it is still an old and broken, and for today's standards, mess of code.

Do not get me wrong, I agree 100% this addon and code belongs to the original owners and they have every right to keep it. They have no obligation to me or any one else to continue to update it. I have more than gotten every one of the few dollars I donated, and am forever grateful for the awesome tool they created many years ago... but it is time to let go.

So I will. I will try probably in vain to find 3 or 4 addons to replace this one. The map will be hardest to replace but everything else is out there and updated. I will keep an eye on this website as well as Rythal's, who deserves alot of credit for sticking his neck out to try and make it usable /cheers. Unfortunately, looking at the mess that can be loosely called code, it is beyond repair, needs to be redone completely and I do not see that being done by Faatal. Even if he patches it again, I am done, so farewell Carbonite, I will miss thee old friend /cry.

Last edited by davie261 : 09-29-12 at 12:26 PM. Reason: One more cent added..

09-29-12, 02:01 PM   #114
edkyle23
A Kobold Labourer
carbonite desperately needed

I actually had to drop a round up yak quest just now and hearthstone miles away because i couldn't find my way back to the quest giver. Wow maps and quests are horrible. OMG, I need carbonite!

09-29-12, 02:31 PM   #115
Reyne
A Murloc Raider

Awesome.. I can't wait.. thank you!

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite 5.0