04-01-09, 02:10 PM   #1
Relic61
A Murloc Raider
Dashboard request: please!

I love love love your suite! I need one thing and I can not do this on my own. In the dashboard where the unit frames are placed and the location bar and focus etc. I need this area to be selectivity emptied via the selection button.

I made this to show you what I'm talking about. Thank you so much for making this. I'm just now finding out about eh newsletter, which I am heading over to subscribe.

Last edited by Relic61 : 04-01-09 at 02:12 PM.

04-01-09, 02:37 PM   #2
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Why would you want to do that?

04-01-09, 02:50 PM   #3
spiritwulf
A Cobalt Mageweaver

I imagine they might want that so that they could more easily and efectively place something like Healbot there for large raids.
Rather interesting idea really.
not for pleasure
but for survival

04-01-09, 02:51 PM   #4
Relic61
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Silenia View Post
Why would you want to do that?
My main is a healer that uses bars that I have used for many years and also have been in this location. The default bars are great and all, but end game raid healers sometimes need minimal design with certain notifications. think grid/healbot.

I know there are info bar plugins that will add these, I want them in the dashboard. The other reason is that all my characters use Nui and for example when I play my death knight I want to use the regular default unit frames. When I jump on one of my characters all I have to do is hit the selector button and bam.

04-01-09, 03:24 PM   #5
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Ah, I see I never thought about that.

04-01-09, 04:16 PM   #6
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
Rofl come to think of it I always end up dragging out healbot from the info panel when Im on a raid as healer anyway, to make things central to the process.

Of course the new heally unit frame buttons Scott's working on would be great but this idea would be a nice alternative.

04-01-09, 04:34 PM   #7
todd3835
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
This would in some ways be nice for me also. I was using a set of raid frames before, which weren't really anything special, but the current design of placing toons wherever in the raid frames that blizzard feels like (according to Scott) just doesn't work for me. I'd prefer that it be setup by class, or group, something organized. I love Scott's joke about CDO, but I have OCD and I tell you every time I'm in a raid, it drives me absolutely nuts to see the raid members names so disorganized. I've thought about diving into the code myself, but there's so many files for nui, it's just not going to be easy. But, not using the built in raid frames would improve my sanity a bit also.....

04-01-09, 04:47 PM   #8
Relic61
A Murloc Raider
I'm glad I'm not the only one here who loves nUI but needs some flexibility. If you're anything like me when I'm on full raid heal mode, I have healbot, decursive (I know healbot does similar, but decursive is faster for me), CC monitor, DBM bars flying everywhere, etc, etc.

Being able to use the dashboard real estate for my healing bars and other things would be a dream come true. /beg Scott!

04-02-09, 12:34 PM   #9
spiritwulf
A Cobalt Mageweaver

And this has actualy been discussed before hehe. The result was that it isnt really possible in a practical sense. The way nUI works and the handling of the raid frames makes having the switch button to remove all raid frames possible but you are wanting to have it remove the minimap too which isnt doable. It would take practicly a full rewrite of how nUI works etc. Just not practical. Thats if I'm remembering the prev conversation correctly hehehe.
not for pleasure
but for survival

04-02-09, 04:56 PM   #10
Relic61
A Murloc Raider
We know stripping the mini map is possible, I assume the info mini map mover plugin does this. This leaves the location.lua calls on the frame anchor for dashboard?

So we'd need another blank.lua skin? that doesn't call these functions? add a button state in main? Not sure here, just thinking out load is all. I wish I was a programmer I really do. Anyway, if its not doable, I shall strip the code and hope it doesn't break on me to completely remove all unit frames from the package. Then just create a copy of my wow folder for loading my alts that use the out of the box nUI.

04-02-09, 10:37 PM   #11
spiel2001
nUI's Author

The idea of removing the unit frames from nUI so you can add third party unit frames makes me shudder... and yes, removing all unit frames will break the UI... and it still wouldn't remove the location and minimap.

Making a panel that has no unit frames can be done. But as was pointed out already, the issues remains of the minimap and the location bar... but I don't intend to do this myself and is flies in the face of what nUI is designed to be and invites a world of support issues for me while people want to start replacing everything else that's built into nUI because they like this, that or the other mod instead.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

04-02-09, 10:48 PM   #12
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
If we can replace the need of healbot / clique and the like and use the unit frames in nUI for healing I'm definitely up for it.

And with such a risky change then I don't have problems just dragging out healbot to sit above the bottom frames when Im healing.

Now if we can integrate what OmniCC and InlineAuras does to the action buttons then I'll be happy. The cooldowns on the actual buttons themselves make it easier to see which button needs to be activated next.

04-02-09, 10:59 PM   #13
spiel2001
nUI's Author

nUI's action bars already have cooldown counters on them... is there some other feature of OmniCC I'm unaware of?

As for Clique... that's an add-on I recommend for use with nUI and which is fully compatible with nUI. Eventually I would like to build that functionality in, but for now Clique does it so well and with so little conflict that I'm in no hurry on that one.

Inline auras in one I'm unfamiliar with.

04-03-09, 02:20 AM   #14
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
yeah clique was stopped in favor of healbot for its ease of use.

The inline Auras work like OmniCC but instead of placing the spell cooldown on the button it adds the cooldown of the debuff / buff it sets up on the target. So, looking at the buttons will allow me to see the moment the debuff stops as well as when I can cast the spell.

04-03-09, 06:39 AM   #15
Relic61
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
The idea of removing the unit frames from nUI so you can add third party unit frames makes me shudder... and yes, removing all unit frames will break the UI... and it still wouldn't remove the location and minimap.

Making a panel that has no unit frames can be done. But as was pointed out already, the issues remains of the minimap and the location bar... but I don't intend to do this myself and is flies in the face of what nUI is designed to be and invites a world of support issues for me while people want to start replacing everything else that's built into nUI because they like this, that or the other mod instead.

So no flexibility or modular design to fit almost anyone's taste...

Like I said, I love the interface, I use it on all my characters. The unit frames just fail for healers imo. I can not use them for healing in a raid environment. I just want to turn them off when I need to. Hopefully one day nUI can mimic the healing unit frames that made Grid and Healbot what they are today.

Thank you for responding to my post and answering my questions everyone.

04-03-09, 07:18 AM   #16
spiel2001
nUI's Author

It's definitely a modular design and definitely I have bent over backwards to be as flexible as I can... but after 30 years in the software design business, I can recognize a support nightmare from a long way away and this would be if it were incorporated.

I have *no* objection to someone else doing it as a plugin if they're willing to support it.

04-05-09, 05:35 PM   #17
Flinger
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I got used to the HuD, so i no longer need this on my main. But i do see it's point, now that i'm levelling up a drood.

I understand scott's point, so i'm not asking him to change his oppinion. But i'm leaving here a suggestion to anyone willing to take this project.

Would it be possible to create a new layer that is put on top of the actual Unit frames panel? Not replacing the current layer, just being on top of it. That way it wouldn't break the UI by removing all the Unit Frames, and could even be implemented as a third infoPanel, maybe re-using the code on the grid/healbot integration plugin. It could be turned on/off, using the button Relic sugested on his first post.

All of this, of course, being suported only until scott finishes nUI's unit frames.

04-12-09, 11:15 AM   #18
Zordral
A Murloc Raider

I'm just trying out nUI for the first time. My plan for healing is to use mouseover macros for all of my healing spells and use the raid unit frames as is.

So I'll have an action bar just with mouseover macros with key bindings for 1-9, 0, '-', and '='. I'll mouse over the raid icon to be healed or cleansed and press the right keyboard button. The default layout(s) for the raid unit frames looks like they will be tight enough that grid and decursive won't be needed.

At least that's the plan for now for raid healing. I'm still working on how I plan to do 5-man healing or backup healing. I have been using Benecaster to attach spell buttons to a given unit frame but that will not work with nUI.

-Z

04-12-09, 12:07 PM   #19
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Zordral, have you thought of using click to cast addons? The one that springs to mind for me is Clique by Cladhaire. It makes healing on my Paladin for groups and raids oh so easy and I dont have to clutter my bars

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...08-Clique.html

04-12-09, 06:21 PM   #20
Zordral
A Murloc Raider

I do use Clique in a limited fashion but my memory is just not that good to assign anything more complex than 'set focus' and 'clear focus'. To be honest I play too many toons. I need the visual reminder that unit frame buttons gives me.

In lieu of unit frame buttons I might just come up with a set of macros that do one thing if my target cons [help] and another if my target cons [harm].

Still pondering the alternatives,

-Z

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » Dashboard request: please!