03-29-13, 08:29 AM   #1
Kreelor
A Firelord

Question Open Source code but only 1 person working?

Is Rythal the only person working on Carbonite's now Open Source code? I'm wondering why updates seem to have slowed down quite a bit. I can understand it if there's only one person working on the changes (whenever he can), but, now that it's Open Source code, I kind of expected a little more activity. Aren't there any other qualified addon authors supporting the endeavor? Is Rythal still struggling to do it all himself without receiving contributional code from other pros? Just wondering.

03-29-13, 09:00 AM   #2
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
Yes, i'm the only one working on it for now. Not that I want it or require it that way, but in general carbonite has been shunned for 2 reasons,

1) it's a massive beast which was doing to much all at once, which my modularization in the alpha is trying to cut down

2) before it went opensource it was obfuscated which ment even if people had interest in working on it before, they couldn't... so interest wanned or people wrote there own alternatives.

3) large parts of it are still not easy to work with even with it being opensource. It's my hope that once I finish redoing parts of it like my current work on the quest database rewrite, people will show interest in helping out, The database alone is definately way out of date (the quests i'm using on my test char say there's 10 parts to it... but 5 of the parts no longer exist as an example.)

03-30-13, 03:35 AM   #3
Kreelor
A Firelord

Rythal, thanks for your good reply. I'd like to ask about your term 'modularization'. Is that another way of saying OOP (Object Oriented Programming)? If so, then it follows that there's a core program and any number of objects (modules) which are more or less 'stand-alone' sections of code. Since I have no idea what the overall project code looks like now (organizationally), I'm imagining that you've already separated some of the original "obfuscated" code (as you put it) into separate object (modules), each one serving its own single purpose. If you haven't yet had the time to tackle each of those modules, isn't it possible that other programmers could offer support by cleaning up those smaller, individual sections of code? I thought that was the main idea behind Open Source Code.

Anyway, you are still included in my prayers. Some day, you will be very happy that you've accomplished such a good thing, along with all the other good things you've already done in your life. You are making history! Even though most of us cannot do what you can do, we are proud of you. At least, I am. Thanks again for replying to me.

03-30-13, 06:49 AM   #4
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
The code is entirely seperated now, sort of... the maps and guide now run on it's own with nothing else involved, then everything else like warehouse, quests, social plugin to the maps... so you can't run warehouse without maps, but you can run maps without warehouse.

Right now in the alpha instead of just Carbonite, it's now

Carbonite
Carbonite.Info
Carbonite.Items
Carbonite.Nodes
Carbonite.Notes
Carbonite.Quest
Carbonite.Social
Carbonite.Warehouse

Last edited by Rythal : 03-30-13 at 06:55 AM.

04-02-13, 07:52 AM   #5
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
....the maps and guide now run on it's own with nothing else involved.....
When you say 'maps and guide,' do either of those include the POI's like Flightmaster icon locations, various npc icons such as 'Repair,' 'Trainers,' etc? Almost every one of the FM icons on Carbonite's maps are located in the wrong place. Other POI icons don't even show at all, even though they show on Blizzard's minimap. Or, are these kinds of things located in some other module which you haven't yet worked on?

Right now in the alpha instead of just Carbonite, it's now

Carbonite
Carbonite.Info
Carbonite.Items
Carbonite.Nodes
Carbonite.Notes
Carbonite.Quest
Carbonite.Social
Carbonite.Warehouse
Rythal, I don't want to take time away from your fixing other things, but if you can take a little bit of time, could you please add the 'remaining' unfinished modules (separately) underneath the list? That way I, and maybe others who are interested, will be able to see what's left to do. Maybe another pro-coder can offer to help work on one of them, which may save you valuable time.

04-02-13, 08:40 AM   #6
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
No there is no change to saved Points of interest yet, it's just able to work on it's own without quests or social or warehouse.

As for the list, that's it, there is no unfinished... or missing, now i've moved onto rewriting the modules. Right now i'm rewriting the Carbonite.Quests, changing the entire format that quests were saved... IE:

Old Format:
[33]={"8Riverpaw Gnoll Bounty$-*####", "#%M -��, "#%M -��, "#MVæ$Vħ$VŨ(Uʩ'UΪ$Tϫ$SЬ$Rѭ(S֫&T٫&Sܬ$Sݫ$Sު%S৤Tᥤ", },

New Format:
[11] = {
Quest = [[Riverpaw Gnoll Bounty|1|10|7|0|0]],
Start = "2|214|32|9.26|84.54",
End = "2|214|32|9.25|84.54",
Objectives = {
[1] = {
"nil|214|35|10.5|90|15.03|3.34",
"nil|214|35|10.5|90.5|20.04|3.34",
"nil|214|35|10.5|91|25.05|16.7",
"nil|214|35|10|93.5|30.06|13.36",
"nil|214|35|10|95.5|35.07|3.34",
"nil|214|35|9.5|96|40.08|3.34",
"nil|214|35|9|96.5|45.09|3.34",
"nil|214|35|8.5|97|50.1|16.7",
"nil|214|35|9|99.5|40.08|10.02",
"nil|214|35|9.5|101|40.08|10.02",
"nil|214|35|9|102.5|45.09|3.34",
"nil|214|35|9|103|40.08|3.34",
"nil|214|35|9|103.5|35.07|6.68",
"nil|214|35|9|104.5|20.04|3.34",
"nil|214|35|9.5|105|10.02|3.34",
},
},
},

Why? because the new format is 10000% easier to work with, to add new quests, and to make fixes ... so if it turns out later on the end NPC was really at 19.25, 84.54 that change takes 2 seconds to make, and anyone can do it.

Once i'm finished with the quests, i'll move onto the next module and do the same with how it stores and accesses information. I started with quests since it's what people are asking for the most, and the most visibly broken thing. Yes it's taking a long time, between real work, wow work (with the grinds I consider wow work now :/), and rewriting code then trying to figure out why things broke.

The end result will be something that I can easily say ok I don't want to work on this anymore, and anyone can pickup and continue since everything will be plain english. Not that i'm planning on giving up, just.. it would be an option

04-02-13, 08:59 AM   #7
gOOvER
A Theradrim Guardian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
i can't understand, that you don't use Github for development. Github is the best choise for such a Project.

04-02-13, 01:38 PM   #8
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
... so if it turns out later on the end NPC was really at 19.25, 84.54 that change takes 2 seconds to make, and anyone can do it.
I guess I'm still wondering why the Flightmaster's icons are not positioned on Carbonite's maps correctly, and why many other icons are not visible at all?

Is that something you still have to do, or are you saying that those are now finished? If they are finished, maybe you or someone else can tell me why nearly all of my FM icons are in the wrong places (usually around 100 yards away from their actual locations). The only addons I use besides the latest Carbonite release is Auctioneer addon, PetJournal Enhanced, and Zygor Leveling Guide. As far as I know, none of those would enterfere with map icons, so that's why I'm asking about Carbonite.

By the way, your coding is very, very easy to follow compared to the original coding method!! Looks good.

04-02-13, 03:29 PM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Originally Posted by gOOvER View Post
i can't understand, that you don't use Github for development. Github is the best choise for such a Project.
We do have SVN and a git repo on this website as well. And, it seems as though Rythal was using this one for a little while at least... http://git.wowinterface.com/?a=summary&p=Carbonite
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Open Source code but only 1 person working?