08-10-09, 11:02 AM   #21
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Syxx View Post
Seems to be and Goodbye advertiser! Poof, like magic.
That's impressive. Well done.

Oh, and Syxx, your siggie made me rofl irl.

08-10-09, 12:10 PM   #22
Slakah
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by us2006027321 View Post
@ everyone who says go Frost:
No. I respec'd Frost and went to a training dummy. I took every dps talent I could in the Frost tree and even some of the applicable ones in the Arcane tree for mana regen and the applicable ones in the Fire tree for more dps. My mana regen was great.

My dps was cut in half.

No.
Go a decent fire spec?
08-11-09, 04:30 AM   #23
us2006027321
A Frostmaul Preserver

Originally Posted by Slakah View Post
Go a decent fire spec?
Sorry, I unfortunately don't. I don't do much with Fire as I have not gotten quite the same numbers out of it as Arcane, and I'm not nearly as mana efficient with Fire. If Arcane is done properly, it's actually more mana efficient than Fire. That, and I out-damage most of the Fire Mages I come across. (When they have out-damaged me, they were in slightly better gear, and then we were neck-and-neck most of the fight.)

I posted some good Arcane stuff over here. I know it's not what you asked, but that's the only answer I have for you other than, "No." LoL

EDIT: I was thinking about the tone of my post, and really, I feel like all I told you was, "Go big, or go home." Inasmuch as I really do feel that way, I don't feel good about leaving you empty-handed. As I don't play Fire, I don't know how good this spec really would be for a Fire Mage that knows what he's doing with it, but knowing what I do of the game, how it works, and how Mages work, I recommend this:

For raid Fire, I recommend this build: 0/60/11 Fire
Major Glyphs: Fireball, Improved Scorch, and Mage Armor
Minor Glyphs: Arcane Intellect, Slow Fall, and... whatever!

When considering the glyphs, Fireball and Improved Scorch were a no-brainer. The real question was what to do with the third slot. I know a lot of Fire Mages like to keep Molten Armor up for the increased crit, but with how Blizzard nerfed Spirit and the way Mages never really paid attention to Spirit in the first place, I don't think Molten Armor really has a place among Mages anymore. At that point, of the two remaining choices, it really becomes a question of whether you want more dps (Glyph of Mirror Images becomes an option here, though I think that's a weak pull of dps, and you might conceiveably get more out of Glyph of Frostfire if you plan on including Frostfire Bolt in your spell rotation) or more mana regeneration. As I don't think Fire Mages have enough mana regeneration, I recommend Glyph of Mage Armor and keeping Mage Armor active while you're dpsing. I intentionally did not pick Glyph of Living Bomb (though many Fire Mages would argue with me), and here's why: if Living Bomb dot damage is proc'ing Ignite with any kind of frequency (and it will be frequent), it will overwrite the damage Ignite would be instead dealing off of harder hitting spells like Fireball, Frostfire Bolt, or Pyroblast. The dots off any of those three spells are already going to be getting in Ignite's way; you don't need to give Ignite one more reason to do less damage. You may only have one Ignite dot up per Mage at any time, and yours will refresh itself any time your spells' damages proc it. (For more information on how and why this happens, read up on Ignite on WoWWiki. I have grossly over-simplified how Ignite-munching works, but Ignite-munching happens a ton when Living Bomb dots can crit, and this remains the bottom line.)

As for the spec itself... I chose to ignore Improved Fire Blast and Impact since Fire Blast is a mana-inefficient drain on dps. Pre-Wrath, they were useful, but they've changed. I was hesitant to take Playing with Fire, but it's more dps, and in a raid, one shouldn't be taking a bunch of damage anyways. I took Burning Soul for threat reduction, and I hear that's a big deal for Fire. I still don't know how I feel about Burnout... It gives more burst dps, but it also eats more mana. I suppose the final deciding factor on that would be a Mage's preferred play style. (If we must have it, I suppose we can hope that all fights will be relatively short or relatively mobile. ) In the Frost tree, I was after Icy Veins since more Spell Haste means more dps. Precision was a no-brainer along the way, and Ice Floes will give you more chances to cast Icy Veins. I chose Frostbite and Permafrost because you have to throw four points somewhere to get to Icy Veins, and if you plan on using Frostfire Bolt in your spell rotation, it will gain some synergy from those two talents, thus making them a pretty rational choice over pretty much any other options.

Your single target spell rotation should be Scorch x2, Living Bomb, and Fireball spam. In longer fights, remember to keep your Scorches and Living Bomb up. Keep your Combustion and Icy Veins up as often as cooldowns will allow. Throw out insta-cast Pyroblasts every time Hot Streak proc's for epic accent damage. This should, by the way, be the only time you're using Pyroblast. It's not a mana-efficient nuke. I don't really know that Frostfire Bolt really fits well into a single-target damage rotation. It's not as mana-efficient of a nuke as Fireball is when one considers the amount of damage being done per point of mana spent. If you can find a place for it, go nuts. Your AoE spell rotation should open with Flamestrike, then Blink into the fray and Arcane Explosion spam. Throw around some Blast Wave and Dragon's Breath (with higher priority than the Arcane Explosion spam) as cooldowns will allow, and your Firestarter should be giving you some good insta-cast Flamestrikes.

If you must be Fire, this is my best recommendation, but Fire Mages have never impressed me much, and I still say go big or go home. LoL Good luck, and let me know how it works out for you!!

~ Nate

PS: My sources for all my information are WoWWiki articles. It's a great place to L2Mage.

Last edited by us2006027321 : 08-11-09 at 06:57 AM.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Class Discussions » Mage Spirit