Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
07-16-10, 01:50 PM   #1
Kookie
A Murloc Raider
Trojo - Doing it right from the start

With alot of addons going to have to be updated and worked out again. I am just waiting for the new API to be released with all sorts of neat new calls and everything. I have a suggestion.

Awhile back, there was an amazing idea. Elements. Earth Lib, Water lib, Air Lib. Awesome. Libraries to do different things. Then came more classes and libraries to help aid in development. I want to take it a step further.

Trojo.

Trojo is going to be a module based framework. With the ability to load on demand, and update on demand. Trojo is an addon, much like a suite, which developers create plugins for. Trojo is a raid addon, or its a bar addon, or its a buff addon...or its a... you get the point.

I have tested with my work group many of different ways to do asynchronous loading as well as updating live. I know that WoW becomes a sandbox... but there are ways around this.

Trojo will be the only core addon that gets updated. Trojo will have a list of addons that are allowed, as well as a developers key which is a compiled LUA code to protect from malicious attacks.

Here is an example of how the update works:

Trojo -> Mojo(Unit Frame library built in) -> User A is using v1.0 -> Join TrojoUpdate.channel

Channel Broadcast: User B has Trojo v1.1A and Developer Key xxxxxxxxxx was fired off.

User A Trojo <-- Fire popup: Would you like to update Trojo?
User A Hits YES!
User A gets a channel ping: USERA,ChannelID
USERA, Trojo A joins Channel ID, Trojo B joins.
Trojo B sends Line by line update chat 2 lines per 3 seconds.

Trojo A Update complete.
Trojo A has code stored in cache text. Trojo now has a new addon.

-----------

My goal is to create a way for users to say.. hey man we really need you to have XXX addon. Ok, send it to me. Bam. You get it.

Trojo testing will start as soon as the UI is allowed in Cataclysm. Currently the working copy of Trojo is limited to what it can do, as alot of the code is staying opened until we know for sure whats in Cataclsym.

I will be making a development set, as well as a plugin system as soon as we are ready for developers to port addons to the Trojo system.

I hope this explains everything that I am working on. If you have questions about this please ensure to contact me on PvP realm Beta US Horde. My name is Trojo

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Cataclysm Beta » Trojo - Doing it right from the start