07-19-12, 11:14 AM   #1
Mikord
A Theradrim Guardian
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
MikScrollingBattleText 5.7 for MoP

I've released an initial update of MSBT to support MoP: MikScrollingBattleText (MoP Beta)

I believe I have handled the vast majority of updates needed, however I could use your help with the following:
  • New Triggers that would be useful for all classes, particularly Monks
  • Identification of any old triggers that I've missed which are now incorrect or no longer apply

07-19-12, 01:32 PM   #2
Shmii
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I tried to update the addon myself several days ago and ran into that UnitGUID bug too. I managed to get rid of the lua errors by checking for nil around line 687 in MSBTParser.lua. I haven't noticed any glaring bugs come out of it, but at least it got the error spam to stop.

Code:
if(guid ~= nil and unitMap ~= nil) then
  unitMap[guid] = unitID
  if (not classMap[guid]) then _, classMap[guid] = UnitClass(unitID) end
  classTimes[guid] = nil
end

07-19-12, 02:36 PM   #3
Mikord
A Theradrim Guardian
Thanks for the information.

I was considering adding a nil check there as well, but I decided against it since it would result in any triggers that involve party/raid members to fail due to the parser relying on the GUIDs to identify them.

That said, I probably should still add it for the time being at the expense of the party/raid triggers until either Blizzard fixes it, or I implement a delay to work around the Blizzard issues.

07-20-12, 09:22 AM   #4
Mikord
A Theradrim Guardian
Potential Brewmaster Tweaks

For Brewmaster Monks, I'm considering the following changes:
  • Handle Chi power like Combo Points and Holy Power (showing the number of Chi you have rather than +X Chi on gains) (Edit: Implemented in 5.7.2)
  • Suppress all Elusive Brew gains (it's super spammy) and instead create triggers for Elusive Brew x5, x10, and x15 (Edit: Implemented in 5.7.3)
  • Suppress all Power Guard gains and add trigger for Power Guard x3 (Edit: Implemented in 5.7.3)

I've tried these out and it cleans up the spam for me quite a bit. Thoughts or concerns?

Last edited by Mikord : 07-21-12 at 10:21 AM.

07-21-12, 07:01 AM   #5
Coldkil
A Cliff Giant

My monk chi bar is treated as combopoints - the only thing that's different is the talent that makes you have 4 or 5 maximum chi.

As a side note, can you please add in the options for font the "MONOCHORMEOUTLINE"? It would be awesome to support pixelfonts.

EDIT: dunno if i'm missing the option, but would be awesome also if you could set up an option for truncating numbers. So 12600 could become 12k6 or whatever.

Atm for my UI i'm editing your files adding the methods to truncete numbers, but it would be really cool if that was a part of native support.

Last edited by Coldkil : 07-21-12 at 07:03 AM.

07-21-12, 07:54 AM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

In addition to shortening "12600" to "12.6k" or just "12k", it would also be nice to get an option for digit grouping, eg. turning "12600" into "12,600". In MoP beta builds, UIParent.lua defines functions for both (AbbreviateLargeNumbers and BreakUpLargeNumbers) but both could probably be written more efficiently.

07-21-12, 09:12 AM   #7
Mikord
A Theradrim Guardian
Coldkill:

I'm pretty sure Monochrome + Outline is already supported and has been for quite some time. Go to the master font settings (or if you want it on a specific scroll area / events, change those accordingly) and select "Monochrome + Thin" for the Outline.

I have number rounding on the agenda of things to update for MoP, so it should be in withing the next 2-3 releases.

Phanx:

I'll add digit grouping as an option too. Now that the numbers are getting larger, it makes sense to have these options.

Last edited by Mikord : 07-21-12 at 09:59 AM.

07-21-12, 09:59 AM   #8
Coldkil
A Cliff Giant

Originally Posted by Mikord View Post
Coldkill:

I'm pretty sure Monochrome + Outline is already supported and has been for quite some time. Go to the master font settings (or if you want it on a specific scroll area / events, change those accordingly) and select "Monochrome + Outline" for the Outline.
rally? last time i have checked and i needed to edit the files - updating now to last build and making sure there is the option.

EDIT: found the option, i was really blind to miss that

Last edited by Coldkil : 07-21-12 at 10:01 AM.

07-21-12, 10:54 AM   #9
Mikord
A Theradrim Guardian
For shortening and rounding the numbers, would you guys prefer the nearest thousand or nearest hundred?

For example, 32,765 becomes 33k (nearest thousand) or 32.8k (nearest hundred)?

07-21-12, 01:23 PM   #10
Coldkil
A Cliff Giant

For shortening and rounding the numbers, would you guys prefer the nearest thousand or nearest hundred?

this is the code i'm using
Code:
lib.siValue = function(val)
	if(val >= 1e6) then
		return ('%.1f'):format(val / 1e6):gsub('%.', 'm')
	elseif(val >= 1e4) then
		return ("%.1f"):format(val / 1e3):gsub('%.', 'k')
	else
		return val
	end
end
so i prefer the nearest hundred would be awesome if the string format could be user-defined instead of fixated. I don't know how complicated would be that anyway

07-21-12, 03:39 PM   #11
Vlad
A Molten Giant

For international release addons, keep in mind that "." is for US while in EU it's "," so US code where the char is hard-coded would only work properly on US locale. It's not about the game locale too, I think it's the computer region that decides, take a look at: SetEuropeanNumbers - not sure if there is a "get" version to figure out what the client is running.

07-21-12, 05:35 PM   #12
Phanx
Cat.

Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
For international release addons, keep in mind that "." is for US while in EU it's "," so US code where the char is hard-coded would only work properly on US locale. It's not about the game locale too, I think it's the computer region that decides, take a look at: SetEuropeanNumbers - not sure if there is a "get" version to figure out what the client is running.
DECIMAL_SEPERATOR and LARGE_NUMBER_SEPERATOR are defined in GlobalStrings.lua, misspelled variable names and all.

Also, for decimals, string.format("%.1fk", "32765") will return "32.7k" or "32,7k" depending on your locale. There is no digit grouping function built into Lua, though, so you'll have to write your own.

I'd prefer 33k (or even 32k; accuracy is less important than brevity in this context) but as long as it's only one decimal place, either way is acceptable.

Last edited by Phanx : 07-21-12 at 06:46 PM.

07-21-12, 05:45 PM   #13
Ketho
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Vladinator View Post
not sure if there is a "get" version to figure out what the client is running.
Coincidentally, there is the new IsEuropeanNumbers() function added in mop (wowprog | wowpedia) (returns true/false)

07-21-12, 07:11 PM   #14
Mikord
A Theradrim Guardian
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
DECIMAL_SEPERATOR and LARGE_NUMBER_SEPERATOR are defined in GlobalStrings.lua, misspelled variable names and all.
I noticed those misspelled variables as well when looking through GlobalStrings ^_^.

I've decided to just make it a customizable precision of 0 or 1. So 33k or 32.8k depending on user preference. As far as the digit grouping, I've got it in my local version already as well. Both of the functions do make use of DECIMAL_SEPERATOR and LARGE_NUMBER_SEPERATOR so they work properly in all locales.

Thanks for the feedback all.

07-23-12, 05:24 PM   #15
Mikord
A Theradrim Guardian
Version 5.7.4 has the shorten number and group by thousand options implemented.

07-24-12, 03:47 AM   #16
Coldkil
A Cliff Giant

Version 5.7.4 has the shorten number and group by thousand options implemented.
/props

Another thing that has come to my mind while tweking my UI. First it would be awesome if the output format is user-defined (like the event strings, to choose if you prefer 32.8k or 32k8 or whatever).

Second, i think it should be possible to add a spec check for triggers. Afaik it isn't possible to choose it in the conditions already built in (but i can probably be wrong like as for monochrome outline), and a GetSpecialization() method is already in the new API.

07-24-12, 07:32 AM   #17
Mikord
A Theradrim Guardian
Coldkill:

There is a trigger exception for Active Talents which serves that purpose. The trigger won't fire if the selected talents specified via that exception are active (a little backwards from the way you described it, but same end result).

07-24-12, 12:20 PM   #18
Coldkil
A Cliff Giant

Ok, going to give a try to it

WoWInterface » Site Forums » Archived Beta Forums » MoP Beta archived threads » MikScrollingBattleText 5.7 for MoP