12-02-10, 02:55 AM   #1
FlareLT
A Defias Bandit
Thumbs up Lunar Unit Frames (probably the best unitframes ever) need your love! :)

Hi All,

I wish someone with oUF knowledge could look into
Lunar Unit Frames.

Imho it's by far the best unit frames for PVP (but good for pve too). And I have tried many of them.

It has unique buff/debuff filtering system - you can select which buffs/debufs are important to you, and should shown in bigger size on you/target/party/raid/...

It doesn't have negative impact on visibility/screen (as all bars are transparent when there is nothing worth seeing in them; for example when you have full health, your helath bar is transparent, and has no numbers on it; same holds true for party/raid bars. Also this transparent thing works extremely nicely with curable cursed/diseased/... highlighting (oUF_Debuff Highlight) - it becomes greenish-transparent(poison), blueish-transparent(magic), etc.

Additionally, it has nice party filtering - for those who want some party frames to be bigger and accessed easier than others (for example friends in battleground, or tanks/healers in pve).

And now it doesn't work anymore, as it is based on oUF 1.3.
Sad day for many players, and especially those who enjoyed PVP.
12-02-10, 10:30 AM   #2
Dawn
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
As much as I hate self advertisement ... you should really take a look at oUF_Slim.

it has everything you mentioned
- a whitelist (filter) for raid, party and arena frames buffs and debuffs, which means it only shows what is contained in the list, everything else is hidden - you can add/remove buffs/debuffs, easily
- transparent bars @full health
- built in debuff highlight based on your class - aka "if you can dispel it, you can see it", you won't get "spammed" with that information if you are a rogue or something similar

EDIT:
Just checked the code, out of curiosity. The spell database alone has over 9400 lines of code. No idea if they parsed it in some way, but I doubt it. Since 4.x introduced/changed a lot of spell IDs, one would have to go through all that - approximately ~1600 spell IDs.
That alone is quite a bunch of awfully boring work. And than there's the gap between oUF 1.3 and 1.5...

"neeh the game wont be remembered as the game who made blizz the most money, it will be remembered as the game who had the most QQ'ers that just couldnt quit the game for some reason..."

Last edited by Dawn : 12-02-10 at 10:59 AM.
12-02-10, 03:41 PM   #3
Mischback
A Cobalt Mageweaver

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There are quite some layouts with buff-filtering atm *cough* PredatorSimple *cough*, so you may find some fitting replacement.

When Dawn says, it's a bunch of work, I'll tend to believe him!

I can see the usability of this on PvP aswell as PvE, though.
12-03-10, 04:30 AM   #4
FlareLT
A Defias Bandit
WARNING: wall of text ahead.

Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
As much as I hate self advertisement ... you should really take a look at oUF_Slim.
Originally Posted by Mischback View Post
There are quite some layouts with buff-filtering atm *cough* PredatorSimple *cough*, so you may find some fitting replacement.
I looked into booth addons. Both of them seem really nice, but unfortunatelly I can't say I found a replacement for Lunar Unit Frames.

it has everything you mentioned
- a whitelist (filter) for raid, party and arena frames buffs and debuffs, which means it only shows what is contained in the list, everything else is hidden - you can add/remove buffs/debuffs, easily
Well it seems to affect only raid/party/arena frames (all or none of them), and needs editing aura database files by hand for each buff.

A short description how "Dynamic Aura Database" in Lunar Unit Frames works:
1) Option to automatically detect and add new auras to aura database (this happens during gameplay)
2) Options available for each aura:
hidden / visible / visible only if cast by self / priority (=bigger and highlited) / priority only if cast by self
3) All options mentioned in point 2 above, can be set different for each frame type (raid/party/player/focus/target/target of ../pet/etc)
2) Configuring all of this is really easy and convenient:
- in config screen (with search and sort features)
- by simply clicking on that aura/buff during gameplay, without going to any config screens (!!! - superb feature, allows to change aura config in less than a second; for example if you find out some new movement impairing skill used on you on arena, you can instantly add it to priority auras for easier tracking; or if you want to hide some trash auras easily):
" Hold the ALT key and mouseclick on auras to toggle priority: "
" Left = hide, Middle = self-cast priority, Right = anyone-cast priority "

Here is config screen, in all it's beauty: http://s.wowinterface.com/preview/pvw28906.png

If anyone knows addon which can do all this - throw a rock at me
In Lunar Unit Frames all this is so convenient, that it's not only usable, but peope even enjoy doing it.

EDIT: Just checked the code, out of curiosity. The spell database alone has over 9400 lines of code. No idea if they parsed it in some way, but I doubt it. Since 4.x introduced/changed a lot of spell IDs, one would have to go through all that - approximately ~1600 spell IDs.
That alone is quite a bunch of awfully boring work.
As far as I understand, this part is not essential, and can be just skipped (old data can be ignored or wiped).
During gameplay, addon will fill database automatically with new auras (spell ids).

And even if "automatic database fill" feature is turned off for some reason - new/unknown auras would be shown as usual, non-hidden, non-priority auras ingame. And if user alt-clicks on aura, to make it hidden/priority/etc. one, it will then be added to database.

And than there's the gap between oUF 1.3 and 1.5...
Well I believe that's exactly what needs to be done, and that's why I started this topic.
As I assume 1.3 doesn't work on WoW 4.0, and it broke Lunar Unit Frames.
Back in 3.3 we just kept using it in combination with oUF 1.3 (instead of more up-to-date 1.4 at that time), and everything worked just fine.

- transparent bars @full health
- built in debuff highlight based on your class
That is nice. If I may suggest:
- i would put party/raid names inside frames, and then reduce space between frames
- add option to hide HP number @full (for player frame, just like MP is hidden now)
- option to disable smooth bar updates (to show current HP/MP instantly, without transition)
- ingame configuration, and inclusion of oUF into download, if aim is making it overall popular
Also couldn't get "PlayerBuffsOnPlayerFrame = true" to work, even with "HideBlizzardAuras = true". Buffs not visible on player frame. Probably missed something.

Originally Posted by Mischback View Post
I can see the usability of this on PvP aswell as PvE, though.
And the worst part - it's like some sort of drugs. Once you have tried it, nothing else satisfies you

And some general thoughts for the end.
I really do appreciate lightweight addons (usually even do cpu profiling before choosing to use any new addon).
But when it comes to most of oUF based unitframes - most of them tend to add very little overall improvement (besides visual) to UI.
And those with extra functionality - usability is usually low, because most of addons don't have configuration screens, and users don't bother updating configuration files. And ease of configuration if often the key, as likes/dislikes/taste of authors usually do not fit all. And due to lack of easy configuration, some of functionality (like "aura filters") often becomes nearly useless, and is only proudly taking up space in feature lists

Last edited by FlareLT : 12-03-10 at 04:33 AM.

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » oUF (Otravi Unit Frames) » Lunar Unit Frames (probably the best unitframes ever) need your love! :)