05-30-12, 03:50 AM   #1
Genocyber
A Murloc Raider
Help needed - Addon to speed up LFR item farming

Hi, i’ve a idea to an addon, but i’m just a begginer in programming.
Hope someone can give me a hand to start coding that.

The basic idea of the addon is to optimize your chance to get itens on the raid finder by showing you how many competitors do you will have in that particular group for each possible drop on that boss.
This way, if u see that many players may need your item/token, u can quit before and join a new raid.

The first thing the addon must do is to look the drops on that boss that are usefull to your class and role (maybe comparing with the ones you have equipped)
Than, the addon will look for all raid members class and role and make a list of how many of then will compete with you on each item/token, showing your win probability if the item drops.

Do you think that is possible to make this kind of addon?

Thank you all.
05-30-12, 05:56 AM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
In theory, yes, but there are a number of technical reasons why such an addon would be an enormous pain to write and maintain, so it's very unlikely that anyone would do it for you.

In practice, it's just faster and more effective to use your brain. If you don't know what kind of items your class/spec needs, go figure that out. If you have never looked at loot tables, go look at them. If you don't know which other classes/specs use the same items you do, go figure it out.

Once you have a general understanding of what you're after, where it comes from, and who else might be after it, it's really not that difficult or time-consuming to (1) refresh your memory about a specific boss by checking its loot table, and (2) quickly look over your raid to see who your competition is. If all else fails, just ask in raid chat who else is after Item X.

If you need help keeping track of which items you want, get AtlasLoot and use the wish list feature. If you need help deciphering ratings and other numbers in item tooltips, get RatingBuster. If you need help figuring out what spec people are, get TipTac Talents or some other addon that puts specs in tooltips or on raid frames. If you need help with something else in particular, tell us what you're having a hard time with, and there's probably an addon that will make it faster or easier.

Finally, even if it were easy, I wouldn't write this kind of addon, simply because it encourages people to be lazy and ignorant, and it encourages people to be jerks who leave groups and make everyone else wait just because they might have to roll for an item.
05-30-12, 07:50 AM   #3
Dridzt
A Pyroguard Emberseer

If the main thing is tokens I remember seeing someone code this.

Here: Who rolls on my token ...
05-30-12, 01:54 PM   #4
Nimhfree
A Frostmaul Preserver
I believe an addon like this will be useless in MoP. Supposedly upon looting a boss there will no longer be a display of loot, but rather the people that win the rolls will be assigned something from the boss loot table that will be useful for their class AND their current spec. And my understanding is the item will not be available to be traded either. Therefore, no more problems with ninja looters. Whether this comes to pass is another matter.
05-30-12, 02:04 PM   #5
Genocyber
A Murloc Raider
Hi, dont want someone to make the addon for me, just coach me to do this ^^

But, I think ur posts can help me anyway. Thank you all.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Help needed - Addon to speed up LFR item farming