07-29-10, 02:24 PM   #1
ksujerbear
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Eligible for Beta Invite

I'm new at writing addons but very much enjoy learning to write addons. I submitted my addon today but I have been registered on the site for quite some time now. I am curious if I am going to be eligible for a cata beta invite because I have been registered on the site but just posted my first addon today. It is not that fancy of an addon but it is something I made that makes my life a little easier when playing. I submitted it mostly just to get feed back on learning to program since this is the first time I have tried programming. Though a cata beta invite wouldn't hurt. Thanks

07-29-10, 03:20 PM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Hello, ksujerbear. This is one of the rules for the beta keys giveaway:
  • You must be an addon author with one or more files on the site that are current to 3.3.x (Plugins/Patches, Compilations & "Hello world" or its equivalent do not count).
Hope that clears up any confusion. Glad to see that you're learning to create addons, though! You will forever be obsessed now with improving them and your interface - at least, that's been my experience.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-29-10, 03:31 PM   #3
ksujerbear
A Murloc Raider
since my addon is pretty simple as it just increases max cam distance and removes the end caps -- and it is current to the current patch--does that mean that is still eligible?

07-29-10, 03:32 PM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I underlined the pertinent portion above.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

07-29-10, 03:35 PM   #5
ksujerbear
A Murloc Raider
Don't mean to be dumb but what does ""Hello world" or its equivalent" mean? How can I improve this so I can be eligible for a beta key?

07-29-10, 03:40 PM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
You admitted that your addon is simple. It's three lines. It's basically a macro, some script that you could have picked up off of the forums, or three lines that could have been pulled from somewhere else. It's even so simple that someone else writing the same type of addon would have the exact same 3 lines in it.

A ""Hello world" or its equivalent" type addon is just that. Something very simple that someone just learning has produced or is based on tutorials/frameworks and macro scripts.

07-29-10, 03:45 PM   #7
ksujerbear
A Murloc Raider
Do you have any ideas on how I could create options for it? I mean, I worked really hard trying to find which codes to add in the .lua file. Since I wrote the macro to basically do what I need it to do without having to press a macro everytime I log on, do you have any idea of how I could expand upon it with options or something?

07-29-10, 04:07 PM   #8
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
ksujerbear, it isn't valid for a key, period. If you are really interested in learning how to program addons, though, there are multiple author forums further down the list and you can always join our irc channel. You'll only get better by practicing.
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Avatar Image by RaffaeleMarinetti

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Cataclysm Beta » Eligible for Beta Invite