06-17-09, 08:28 PM   #1
kilth2
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Compiler - Click to view compilations
Connecting Controller.

I have decided that I would like to try to use a console controller (PS2 or Gamecube are my favorites) I would like to either hook them up without buying and adpater or rigging and adapter up without having to buy one, If anyone can give me any advice feel free to post.
Also If you would just like to post thoughts on this am fine with this as long as it isn't flamin.
~TheStud~
06-17-09, 08:50 PM   #2
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The simplest way to hook a console controller to a PC is with an adapter. I believe there are ways to make them but it will most likely require the purchase of parts as well as general knowledge in electronics and soldering. Not really worth it IMHO when one can be easily purchased

Not too sure how WoW would be without a keyboard and mouse though. Might be good for general exploring but not too sure about combat and stuff.

Another alternative is to buy a PS2 styled PC Controller.

If you can connect a XBox 360 or PS3 controller this software (Switchblade) looks interesting. But unfortunately it is not free ...
06-17-09, 08:57 PM   #3
kilth2

I think WoW would be exciting with a controlller, i wouldn't need to be very socialable and a ps2 controller has plenty of extra buttons to use as modifiers.
06-17-09, 09:34 PM   #4
kilth2

What stores would sell a adapter for it? I tried searching walmart and meijer and couldnt find the correct adapter.
06-17-09, 10:04 PM   #5
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Not to sure but I do believe the adapter that allows one to connect the PS2 controller to the PS3 will work on a PC as well seeing as to how it is a PS2 to USB adapter.

I know there available on Amazon. Here is a Amazon search for you. It will at least head you in the right direction anyway.

JUST SO YOU KNOW....
Do research on these as I am not sure they work this way. I did some Googling and it seems that some of these adapters state they are PS2 to PS3/PC adapters.

Last edited by Sepioth : 06-17-09 at 10:07 PM.
06-18-09, 04:06 PM   #6
kilth2

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10400473
Will this hook up?
06-18-09, 04:15 PM   #7
voodoodad
Large, Friendly Letters!

Originally Posted by kilth2 View Post
If you were able to find an adapter for ps3 to pc or mac, whichever you use, it would probably give you basic functionality. But I'm betting the extra bells and whistles would be totally useless on a pc (or Mac).

~ no need to make the message completely obnoxious - Cairenn
06-18-09, 07:15 PM   #8
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
Not too sure if a PS3 controller can work on a PC.

I do know that the Official PS3 controllers are wireless but charge with a USB cable so it can plug into a PC. Whether or not there are drivers is a different story.

BUT if your looking to plug a controller into your PC .. I would start with an actual PC controller .. something that is guaranteed to work.

Here is a Logitech one at Walmart. I know they also make even better controllers as well. But this is the standard PS2 style controller for the PC.

Check out Amazon (Here is their Gamepad selection) as they have a very wide selection of controllers for the PC. And if money is not an issue them the XBOX 360 controller for the PC is a great choice.
06-18-09, 07:31 PM   #9
DJP
A Murloc Raider
There is a driver for the PS3 controller - when its connected via USB cable.
Nothing for the wireless atm (as far as I know)

Don't have a link atm, but search google you can find guides.
06-18-09, 08:48 PM   #10
Sepioth
A Molten Giant
I figured there would be. There are drivers to connect just about anything to a PC nowadays

The problem with third party PS3 controllers is I'm not to sure how they get charged up if they are wireless. Do they use USB or a seperate battery and charger?? Will the third party PS3 controller work with those drivers?? Just some things to be curious about if you plan on buying a PS3 controller for PC use. Which is why I would just use a PC controller.
06-18-09, 10:07 PM   #11
DJP
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
I figured there would be. There are drivers to connect just about anything to a PC nowadays

The problem with third party PS3 controllers is I'm not to sure how they get charged up if they are wireless. Do they use USB or a seperate battery and charger?? Will the third party PS3 controller work with those drivers?? Just some things to be curious about if you plan on buying a PS3 controller for PC use. Which is why I would just use a PC controller.
I have the drivers installed on my laptop, and charge my PS3 controller via my laptop also (PS3 is too-far from my chair)

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Connecting Controller.