01-30-10, 09:34 PM   #421
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by littlebuddha79 View Post
What is that at the top of the screen that displays the calendar, weather, time, and computer stats? I've been looking for something that has a nice simple display like that to add to my desktop, but can't seem to find anything that nice....It's all ugly boxy individual desklets with no real elegance or style to them.
www.rainmeter.net
01-30-10, 10:40 PM   #422
zero-kill
A Firelord

Originally Posted by Cralor View Post
Looks like one of the many skins one could use. There's one with a name like "Bigarse Numbers."
01-31-10, 12:07 AM   #423
Cralor
Mmm... cookies!!!

Originally Posted by zero-kill View Post
Looks like one of the many skins one could use. There's one with a name like "Bigarse Numbers."
Lol yeah there are ton of skins. Look at deviantArt and stuff. Google, too.
01-31-10, 01:13 AM   #424
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

I'm sooo thinking of going over to Linux. Do you need any real experience with any coding language to do this? Or is it just, make the switch and other people will have done it all for you?

Would love to hear an aswer to this!
01-31-10, 02:07 AM   #425
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Takes learning the terminal commands. Shouldn't be too hard though. It was about the only thing i had trouble with.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
01-31-10, 02:37 AM   #426
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

Originally Posted by MidgetMage55 View Post
Takes learning the terminal commands. Shouldn't be too hard though. It was about the only thing i had trouble with.
Alright. I have a few questions though, do you have some time over so I can PM you?
01-31-10, 03:33 AM   #427
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Wimpface View Post
I'm sooo thinking of going over to Linux. Do you need any real experience with any coding language to do this? Or is it just, make the switch and other people will have done it all for you?

Would love to hear an aswer to this!
It depends on what you want to do. For all everyday usage, things can be done via the GUI. I myself use the Terminal a couple times a month when I need to do something a bit advanced or I am grabbing something very specific from a repository as it's faster to use apt-get rather than looking through Synaptic's (Ubuntu/Debian's GUI front end to apt) lists. However most commands that an average user will need are a fast Copy and a Shift-Ctrl-V from a forum or other source. I keep a list of terminal commands that I find useful.

However for everyday use, there is no need to delve into the Terminal. You can launch applications via the Gnome or Kickstart (KDE) menus, via launchers that live on your Desktop (Gnome), Panel (Gnome), or Dock (Gnome) or Plasmoid (KDE). Depending on your distro, many applications can be downloaded pre-compiled and ready to be unpacked. I am a big fan of Debian's deb packages (many Debian packages can be used with Ubuntu) as Ubuntu uses deb.

If you are looking to get started with Linux, I would suggest getting a hold of a LiveCD and playing with it. LiveCDs for distros like Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora, Sidux, Mandriva, can be downloaded and burned to CD. Ubuntu will also ship a physical LiveCD to you free (it takes about a month).

I am in the process of writing some articles for those think about or are switching to Linux based on my experience.

Last edited by Zyonin : 01-31-10 at 09:17 AM.
01-31-10, 03:35 AM   #428
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

Im definitely not the best person to ask. I managed to get as far as installing a driver through the terminal. I havent used linux in about 6 months and when i stopped i had used it about 2 months hehe.

One of these days ill finally build a box for it so i can really get a feel for it.

I think Hong Kong Phooey was a ninja AND a pirate. That was just too much awesome. - Yhor
01-31-10, 04:26 AM   #429
Wimpface
A Molten Giant

Alright, I read something about many games not running properly on Linux. I'm wondering if these games work (Without that wine thingy, if that's possible)
World of Warcraft (Quite sure it works, but hey, you never know!)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Left 4 Dead
Counter-Strike: Source

3 of those are steampowered games, perhaps steam doesn't work on Linux?

Also, Is it hard to skin Ubuntu?

EDIT: Thanks in advance!
01-31-10, 09:41 AM   #430
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Wimpface View Post
Alright, I read something about many games not running properly on Linux. I'm wondering if these games work (Without that wine thingy, if that's possible)
World of Warcraft (Quite sure it works, but hey, you never know!)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Left 4 Dead
Counter-Strike: Source

3 of those are steampowered games, perhaps steam doesn't work on Linux?

Also, Is it hard to skin Ubuntu?

EDIT: Thanks in advance!
I have Steam installed and runs on my machine. It's very slow however my machine is quite ancient and it does not have the horsepower (RAM and CPU) that is needed. However the COD, L4D, and CS:S issues may be related to missing DirectX APIs. While the Wine community has done a great job of building the APIs needed (through a "clean room" reverse engineering process), some of the DirectX APIs are currently incomplete (new versions of DX9, nothing for DX10 yet).

WoW works great on Linux because it can use either DirectX or OpenGL. It's just a simple matter of switching from DirectX to OpenGL via an additional line in your config.wtf. OpenGL games are going to work the best on Linux, then games that use older versions of DirectX. Eventually, all of the DirectX APIs will get Wine equivalents however DirectX is a moving target. Of course we would not be in this bind if Microsoft had not brainwashed developers into using DirectX and based the Xbox on DirectX (thus making for easy Xbox to PC ports).

Now for skinning Linux, it's generally quite easy to skin Linux. Currently the GNOME environment is the easiest to theme completely. It just a matter of dropping a packaged theme file onto the Appearance Preference panel (which installs the theme), then selecting it. From there you can customize your theme with icons, cursors, controls, borders, etc. By default, GNOME uses the Metacity window manager, however there are others available including Emerald, Enlightment (of which has since been developed into a desktop enviroment) and Sawfish.

KDE is trickier. While you can easily download and install Plasma themes, icons, cursors, etc. from within the Appearance panels, installing an overall system theme is much more involved. I hope the KDE devs fix this as installing a window theme is confusing for newer users. I do like KDE myself, I use several KDE applications in my GNOME setup, most notably Amarok. Windows can get many KDE applications thanks to KDE on Windows which is KDE (and it's applications) ported to Windows.

Overall, GNOME and Xfce are the easiest interfaces for new Linux users, KDE is great for the power users. Then there other interfaces such as Enlightment (E17), BMPanel, and more.

GNOME: http://www.gnome.org
KDE: http://www.kde.org

Ubuntu is a great distro to get started with as everything comes pretty much set up "out of the box". Likewise with OpenSUSE and Fedora however I am partial to Debian based distros (of which Ubuntu is). Even better is the Ubuntu (and by extension Debian) based Linux Mint which comes with the non FOSS bits (such as Flash and additional device drivers) that many PC users have become used to (and are needed for much of your online video viewing these days, **ahem** YouTube). Linux Mint also comes with some additional "polish" (beyond that of Ubuntu) and additional utilities that new users will find handy.

Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com
Linux Mint: http://www.linuxmint.com/
OpenSUSE: http://www.opensuse.org/en/
Fedora: http://fedoraproject.org/

Last edited by Zyonin : 01-31-10 at 12:32 PM.
01-31-10, 10:08 AM   #431
zero-kill
A Firelord

Oh no, not Linux
01-31-10, 12:29 PM   #432
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by zero-kill View Post
Oh no, not Linux
Yes, Linux. Come, join us...
01-31-10, 01:40 PM   #433
nightcracker
A Molten Giant

I have linux(slax distro) on my USB stick. Really awesome when someone's computer is infected by a virus.
02-05-10, 01:41 PM   #434
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

So I started to miss WoW again.

I only use linux now:
Busy
Clean

Glad to see my topic from 2007 is still going strong.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
02-05-10, 01:57 PM   #435
Zyonin
Coffee powered Kaldorei

Originally Posted by Dreadlorde View Post
So I started to miss WoW again.

I only use linux now:
Busy
Clean

Glad to see my topic from 2007 is still going strong.
I see you are using one of those geeky text based shells...

And yes, your little topic is still chugging along.
02-05-10, 02:29 PM   #436
Diagnostics
Medic!

Premium Member
I have mint linux. Fun to goof around on.
02-05-10, 04:02 PM   #437
Dreadlorde
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Zyonin View Post
I see you are using one of those geeky text based shells...

And yes, your little topic is still chugging along.
If you think that is geeky, you should see my Plan 9 desktop.

Funtoo - Plan 9 - Windows 7
02-09-10, 12:47 AM   #438
DDjusD
My Desktop

Here is my desktop. I have Vista with a mac-bar, it is a program, ObjectDock, and it is just like the bar on mac computers, it increases in size when hovered over, and can be customized, you can see the icons for some of my files are different than should be just go to wincustomize.com to get them, and the name appears when hovered over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	desk.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	3959  
02-15-10, 03:13 PM   #439
Eneswar
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by nytekat View Post
That's awesome! thanks. Best thing is it's free!
Here's my desktop with new fences.. first with hidden, next showing.

May I ask if you can share that background?
02-15-10, 03:45 PM   #440
MidgetMage55
Grinch!

For the mac style bar in windows you can also use RocketDock. Found it before i found some of the others out there and is a nice little program that i still use.

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Screenshot of your Desktop