08-06-09, 04:43 AM   #1
Bellator
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Do you use Carbonite?

If you use Carbonite how do you like it, would you recommend to others? Just a simple question on your opinion of using Carbonite addon.

Bellator

Mary-Chapin Carpenter
08-06-09, 04:49 AM   #2
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Bellator View Post
If you use Carbonite how do you like it, would you recommend to others? Just a simple question on your opinion of using Carbonite addon.

Bellator
I use something better than Carbonite or any other similar addon. 4 years game experience embedded into my brain. Yes, it hurts sometimes but it's dynamically updated and usually loads on demand. It also overloads without demand, but that's when I use my tabletop mod, a game called Checkers.

08-06-09, 05:43 AM   #3
Vis
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I use Carb and prefer it over other questing mods. There's too many things to list why I like it though, lol. I'd just give it a shot, try it for one week and see what you think.
08-06-09, 05:45 AM   #4
pirplepig
Oink!

Premium Member
I use Questhelper, my 4 years of wowing and 20 years of gaming...
08-06-09, 06:21 AM   #5
OldHarry
Premium Member
Premium Member
Tried running questhelper but it caused so many problems and "broke" on a daily basis. Since switching to Carbonite I rarely have a problem with it. And when problems do crop up the author is quick to address the issue. And pays attention to what users want in the mod that it does not already do.
08-06-09, 06:32 AM   #6
dcraze
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Bellator View Post

Bellator
I like using carbonite, I think it is better than quest helper. I would and do recommend it to others, I just wish it worked. Ever since the new patch It says out of date and doesn't work. Any suggestions? 8--6-09.
08-06-09, 06:39 AM   #7
Soulofsin_007
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
TomTom + Lightheaded = win

I did use Carbonite for awhile, but went back to these two. I liked it a lot better.
08-06-09, 06:41 AM   #8
noble8
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

Originally Posted by Soulofsin_007 View Post
TomTom + Lightheaded = win

I did use Carbonite for awhile, but went back to these two. I liked it a lot better.
And TourGuide
08-06-09, 06:55 AM   #9
xConStruct
A Chromatic Dragonspawn

I'm using dual monitors and wowhead. And yeah, I can agree to Republic - after some years of questing you know how Blizz builds the quests and how to do them or where to find some special mob.
Most of the time I'm using wowhead only to find out if a group-quest is easy soloable.

But TourGuide's also nice, because sometimes you just want to go "brain afk" . But I'm only using it, if I didn't quest in the area with some other char before.
In my opinion, a lot of addon-help while leveling "kills" kinda the atmosphere.

Oh hai!
08-06-09, 06:57 AM   #10
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

I use Carbonite as a sort of radar.

I hated Quest Helper because it was too big and all consuming.

I didn't like how it had all this stuff going on everywhere , quickly taking over my interface and it felt like it was forcing me to do quests in a certain order!

I don't really like being forced to do quests in a certain order - I prefer to be able to be told what quest objectives are nearest to where I am.

I happen to like wandering around the game in a daze , wanting to go visit a particular area to see IDK the nice trees in the area or the happy cheerful ravenous wolves over this way a bit. Or maybe the bavarian looking abominations of icecrown (but will they sing for me?).

If an addon can tell me what quests I happen to be near ... sweet!

Carbonite fills this need of mine.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)
08-06-09, 02:49 PM   #11
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by dcraze View Post
I like using carbonite, I think it is better than quest helper. I would and do recommend it to others, I just wish it worked. Ever since the new patch It says out of date and doesn't work. Any suggestions? 8--6-09.
All addons will say out of date right after the patch since the toc files still have 3.1 in them. That does not mean it won't work with 3.2. You have to check "Load out of date AddOns" in the addon list and try it. I'm using out of date Auctioneer, Pawn and Smartbuff and they work fine.

Carb 3.21 was released last night and does have a 3.2 toc, so no more out of date message.
08-06-09, 03:21 PM   #12
Ariele
A Cyclonian

I used both questhelper and carbonite. And i must say i like carbonite more then questhelper. The thing that make me use it was: QH use around 17mb on my pc but carbonite only 6-7mb. Carbonite has the map functions of cartographer which i like and the quest markings where more accurate then QH.
There is many other thing but it will take to much space to write about it :-)
08-06-09, 03:34 PM   #13
zero-kill
A Firelord

I use a combination of Zygor's Guides + TomTom, for leveling purposes and then switch it out with good ol' fashioned reading when I quest beyond that.
08-06-09, 03:36 PM   #14
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
Isn't the Zygor Guides mod just a renamed TourGuide? Or am I confusing it with something else?
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-06-09, 04:02 PM   #15
uz64wow
A Murloc Raider
I use carb. it helps me plan my next move or what quests are closer to me. Simply awsome. But i do have one question though.on the update page (thats i was given by Carb.) i do what it says on how to install the update.. and im still getting notifactions ingame that i need to updat...so what gives ?? but i still love it .
08-06-09, 04:05 PM   #16
Symbolis
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I like Carbonite quite a lot.

However, like with Ubuntu, I'm on again/off again with it.

I don't like the map(s) too much.

Rest is quite nice. Glad that there's a version that works with nUI.(Which I just started using.)
08-06-09, 04:33 PM   #17
benregn
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Seerah View Post
Isn't the Zygor Guides mod just a renamed TourGuide? Or am I confusing it with something else?
I think you are thinking of The Ultimate WoW Guide...
08-06-09, 05:16 PM   #18
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by pirplepig View Post
I use Questhelper, my 4 years of wowing and 20 years of gaming...
Because Donkey Kong experience is helpful to Wow...

08-06-09, 08:43 PM   #19
kimberlite
A Kobold Labourer

I like Carbonite, but in the last few days since the patch it will open randomly without hitting my map button or even being remotely near the button. I have the latest version (3.2) so I don't know what is causing this. While on the subject, is anyone else having this problem?
08-06-09, 08:59 PM   #20
Mossclaw
Premium Member
Premium Member
While I do use quite a few addons, I cannot say that I've used any quest help addon except Carbonite.

I love Carbonite. I like the way it looks. I like the function integration.

When I was assessing my needs (quests, gathering, topo-maps, full alt inventory amongst a few others) I realized that I would have to keep up to date a whole new slew of addons.

Carbonite took care of all of that in one download for me.

Since then, it's had to go onto the Blizz starvation diet, but I still have faith in the product.

But the best recommendation is to try it for a while. <nods>

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » Do you use Carbonite?