04-04-06, 11:10 PM   #21
ckknight
A Warpwood Thunder Caller

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Remember that only the mightiest have the willpower to harness the killing chi of the forefathers.

Yes, I know about the SavedVariables, sadly, there's no way around it, so people's settings will be reset. Although this is a bad situation, there's nothing I can realistically do about it.
04-04-06, 11:31 PM   #22
Kudane
Co-Founder

Originally Posted by Boss
Remember that only the mightiest have the willpower to harness the killing chi of the forefathers.

Yes, I know about the SavedVariables, sadly, there's no way around it, so people's settings will be reset. Although this is a bad situation, there's nothing I can realistically do about it.
how about an import function that finds the OLD variables file and applies it to the current user?

Titan had a function similar to this so you could copy one characters variables to another. shouldnt be THAT tough to do =)
04-05-06, 07:05 AM   #23
TheFly
A Fallenroot Satyr
I guess that would be possible if you also include "shell" mods with the old name to enable access to their saved variables and have import rutines that copy across. by all means doable but requires a bit of work for each mod.
04-05-06, 07:36 AM   #24
Aileen
A Fallenroot Satyr
Question about the renaming... the README says that for websites the convention should be to name it "FuBar - AddOnFu" but all of Boss' addons were just renamed to "AddOnFu"? Which is it?
04-05-06, 07:58 AM   #25
Kayde
A Murloc Raider

I would really sugggest NOT using names like "HonorFu" and "TrackingFu" as I've seen in the updates. These will not list alphabetically in the forums and will prove to be much more confusing than "FuBar -Honor" and "FuBar - Tracking".
04-05-06, 08:07 AM   #26
dafire
Premium Member
I second the Mods should start with "Fu"
04-05-06, 09:47 AM   #27
rophy
A Fallenroot Satyr
Changing the addon name after there are so many plugins is a very bad idea,
Naming the plugins as HonorFu, BagFu are even worse.

Just imagine how hard it is to search FuBar plugins on other UI websites ( with keyword "fu" ? )
If you want to rename BossPanel to FuBar, please just let the plugins have the name FuBar - Honor. (What's the point for "FuBar - HonorFu" ? it confuses users more than funny. )

Last edited by rophy : 04-05-06 at 09:51 AM.
04-05-06, 09:52 AM   #28
Aileen
A Fallenroot Satyr
For the record, I also dislike the AddOnFu naming change. I don't really care about the renaming of BossPanel itself to FuBar, just the mandate that now all the addons end in "Fu". I'll stick with it if I have to, but I think that ending everything with "Fu" looks kinda silly.
04-05-06, 10:06 AM   #29
ckknight

On website naming:

The official name is "FuBar - PluginFu".

You can refer to it in passing as "PluginFu".

Note: this does go away from what I said eariler, sorry.

Last edited by Boss : 04-05-06 at 10:59 AM.
04-05-06, 10:25 AM   #30
Corgi
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

I also dislike the AddonFu name change. It also made it updating code harder. Instead of doing a simple search/replace for BossPanel w/ FuBar, you have to chane the AddOn name as well.

Originally Posted by Aileen
For the record, I also dislike the AddOnFu naming change. I don't really care about the renaming of BossPanel itself to FuBar, just the mandate that now all the addons end in "Fu". I'll stick with it if I have to, but I think that ending everything with "Fu" looks kinda silly.
04-05-06, 10:52 AM   #31
rophy
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Boss
On website naming:

The long name is "FuBar - PluginFu", but will really only be called "PluginFu".

Here's a test: search this site for FuBar and see if you get all the plugins for it. You do. So it's not a big deal. Most UI websites search the descriptions/dependencies, or at least WoWI does, so typing "FuBar" should pick up everything.

So if you were to mention it in passing to someone, you wouldn't call it "FuBar - HonorFu", you'd just call it "HonorFu". People would then realize that because of the Fu it's part of FuBar.
i believe both ui.worldofwar.net and curse-gaming only search addon name.
is there really any advantage for naming the addon Honorfu instead of FuBar - Honor?
04-05-06, 11:00 AM   #32
ckknight

Rophy, I made it so that "FuBar - PluginFu" is now the way to do it. Sorry about before.

Also, the Fu at the end is _completely_ optional, if you want to do it, that's fine, but if you don't, well, that's fine too.
04-05-06, 11:01 AM   #33
ckknight

The only advantage I can see over naming it HonorFu instead of just Honor is that if I say Honor in passing, people may get confused, but if I say HonorFu, they should be able to understand that I'm talking about the plugin.
04-05-06, 12:49 PM   #34
TheFly
A Fallenroot Satyr
I'll say don't use PluginFu unless it actually makes sense. Having Fu twice in the name does look silly. I do support having NameFu as a short name when talking about the plugin but I don't see the point of it in the actual foldername
04-05-06, 03:14 PM   #35
dafire
Premium Member
Appending a Fu to the addon name is a good idea if it's a plugin to another mod.. like ..

Raidsummon #as the addon
RaidsummonFu # as the fubar plugin for Raidsummon

However if I'd do a plugin with already included FuBar support I'd drop the Fu ending.
04-05-06, 04:59 PM   #36
Vanish
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by rophy
i believe both ui.worldofwar.net and curse-gaming only search addon name.
Which is largely irrelevant given that FuBar itself is only offered here making this the logical place to look for FuBar plugins.

I was against the whole FuBar name to begin with, however I belive Boss is asking for consistency in naming which is always a good thing.

I will never refer to FuBar - Honor that way, I will always talk about HonorFu. It's succinct and leaves no more room for misinterpretation than FuBar - Honor does. Also, the naming he's requesting makes the Fu plugins stand out better in the AddOns list. Not following it will irritate me as much as all of the Ace reliant AddOns which don't have the blue -Ace- tag. (Speaking of which Boss, FuBar still doesn't have that. )
04-05-06, 05:06 PM   #37
SaberHawke
A Fallenroot Satyr

I have to admit reading this thread with Fu everywhere is pretty funny. The whole thing is just Fu'ed up. Just don't change again today, just got everything fixed from yesterday.
04-07-06, 09:20 AM   #38
adlWoW
A Murloc Raider
(deleted since it didn't come out right)

Last edited by adlWoW : 04-07-06 at 10:48 AM.
04-07-06, 10:21 AM   #39
Aileen
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by adlWoW
this causes the New Files section here at WoW Interface to have many, many, many FuBar related files. It's pretty hard to find the non-Fu files in the list. For example, on the first two pages there are 23 Fu-files, and 21 non-Fu.

Will this continue to be the case, or will this settle down at some point?
This is kind of an odd request... please stop developing your addons?
04-07-06, 10:42 AM   #40
adlWoW
A Murloc Raider
Sorry, I guess I didn't make a request - it was more a comment/observation. I knew this wouldn't come out right.

I guess I was thinking that since there are a large # of related mods which seem to be updated frequently, that perhaps there could be a separate section for them. It just makes it hard to find other developer's new and updated mods when browing through the New Files list here on WoW Interface.

Last edited by adlWoW : 04-07-06 at 10:49 AM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » Alpha/Beta AddOns and Compilations » possible BossPanelnName change