11-08-17, 10:53 PM   #1
seyan777
An Aku'mai Servant
Where to find an artist?

Howdy!

I'm currently looking for an artist to create an interface design for my UI (unitframe, minimap, actionbar buttons and so on) and could even pay for his/her fantastic work (as long as it matches with my budget and expectation). However, this could possibly be against a forum rules and thus if it is against a rule, please let me know!

So, where would be a great place to find such artists?

Thanks!

Last edited by seyan777 : 11-08-17 at 11:00 PM.
11-08-17, 11:31 PM   #2
Fizzlemizz
I did that?

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
If it is solely for your own use or distribution without any fee and you are willing to pay I don't see any conflict with the licencing (happy to hear contradictions).

That said,
(as long as it matches with my budget and expectation)
leads me to suspect that your budget won't cover defining the specification much less the time to program and if required create artwork for such an untertaking.

Depending on what you are wanting, creating an entire custom UI is hundreds of hours worth of work even using existing addons.

Last edited by Fizzlemizz : 11-09-17 at 12:31 AM.
11-09-17, 04:56 AM   #3
seyan777
An Aku'mai Servant
Thanks for reply, Fizzlemizz.

First of all, the addon that I'm trying to make is for my personal use, not for distribution
I can "barely" code in Lua and thus I don't really think it worth distributing publicly even with a fancy artwork by professional designer.
(And yes, even if I'd distribute it publicly, I won't take any fees although I pay for such artworks as I'm pretty sure they are against Blizzard's law)

I currently have no big plans on whether my addon should replace the entire UI artwork of WoW (maybe like ElvUI/TukUI) or only some core elements like unitframe, castbar, nameplates, minimap, etc.

+ no specific spec requirement, yet.

The main object of this thread was to ask:
  • whether such question is acceptable to be asked or not on WoWI
  • if there's any designer interested in creating artworks for me (of course with a payment if needed)
  • if there's any community (or website) that I could out source(?) such artwork (again, of course with a payment on demand)

So, yeah... that's pretty much of all of what I could say at the moment, but your comment encouraged me to consider more stuffs and I really appreciate it

Thank you.

Last edited by seyan777 : 11-09-17 at 05:31 AM.
11-09-17, 11:47 AM   #4
Tim
A Rage Talon Dragon Guard

Originally Posted by seyan777 View Post
The main object of this thread was to ask:
  • whether such question is acceptable to be asked or not on WoWI
  • if there's any designer interested in creating artworks for me (of course with a payment if needed)
  • if there's any community (or website) that I could out source(?) such artwork (again, of course with a payment on demand)
You are definitely allowed to hire someone or multiple people to do paid work for you. You also already acknowledged and know that you are not allowed to charge people to use said software if you decide to distribute it to the public.

There are quite a few really nice graphic designers when it comes to interfaces lurking here on the forums but, as to them having the time to do the work for you who knows. Depending how generous the artist would be you could be looking at a small fee or hundreds of dollars. The programming of it of course would be no walk in the park and those fees are going to rack up too.

As for outsourcing.... I've seen some nice interfaces on sites such as the Unity Asset Store that I've bought as well as decent stuff on GraphicRiver. Keep in mind if you go the Unity route you'll have to download the Unity client and figure out how to export the assets. Both sites give your assets in psd format. Neither site provides help with coding and I really can't point you in a direction to look for help with that.
11-10-17, 12:42 PM   #5
Thubz
An Aku'mai Servant

Cool

Originally Posted by seyan777 View Post
Howdy!

I'm currently looking for an artist to create an interface design for my UI (unitframe, minimap, actionbar buttons and so on) and could even pay for his/her fantastic work (as long as it matches with my budget and expectation). However, this could possibly be against a forum rules and thus if it is against a rule, please let me know!

So, where would be a great place to find such artists?

Thanks!
Hey seyan777,

im not a high class pro or anything but feel free to pm me
doubt i'll accept money for it so far i did all my work for free besides few donations (Wich where mostly products as wallpaper engine and even gametime and so on)

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Graphics Help » Where to find an artist?