09-01-12, 01:45 PM   #21
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Originally Posted by Pelargonia View Post
The Warehouse is one of the things about Carbonite that I found the most convenient, especially since Blizzard instituted its own quest tracking features. I am checking out other Quest Trackers including Dugi's to see if I can find anything that I like to use still in place of Carbonite, and there are several out there, but I cannot find a replacement for the Warehouse.
Altoholic?

09-01-12, 03:43 PM   #22
DugiGuides
A Murloc Raider

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by bigsleepy121 View Post
in my opinion its nowhere near a replacement for carbonite. I tried it before rythal did his fan update (witch is awesome). Now this is a very good addon don't get me wrong, its just not what people here are looking for. This is a good questing /mapster type addon but no carbonite. Please add Google map/right click way point feature/bg map/ Warehouse ect. ( pretty much all the stuff people loves carbonite ) then we can all call it a Carbonite Alternative for MoP. like i said very good addon just not and very good Alternative.
It does have a click waypoint feature and a very good one too. See description below.

Waypoint System with Taxi Feature - Works similar to TomTom, clicking the Quest POI in your Objective Tracker will automatically place a waypoint for the quest. The waypoint arrow will turn green if you enter the selected quest area.

You can also create your waypoint by CTRL + Right Click on your map and you can also link them together by holding SHIFT + Right Click on your map.

Taxi feature will automatically create the fastest possible route using flight master, teleport spells, portals, boats zeppelins and available items. Video http://youtu.be/CPx5RsqJh2M
as for Bg Map and Warehouse, I will never add those options in as I don't believe in creating an addon to become a Swiss army knife.. I would like a knife to be a knife.

It is a questing addon and will stay focus only for questing, in my opinion the Google map so far is the only option we are really missing to make this addon complete.

It is better to use other addons for BGs and Warehousing, that way it remain separate and no one is forced to have them loaded the way it is now.

09-01-12, 05:57 PM   #23
thinkdunson
A Kobold Labourer
swiss army knife

i've been using carbonite for years now. i started back when you had to pay for it. over the years i've gotten to where i believe i use almost every feature it has. there are so freaking many useful features in carbonite, it's ridiculous. to me, a true replacement would include all of these things. the warehouse, the zoom out, the google map, the fast and easy waypoints, the quest tracker, the emote sound when you complete a quest... god there are so many more, both big and small. i'm seriously going to be crippled without this addon.

edit: after watching the demo video, i will definitely be using dugi's add-on, if only for the tracking and map icons.

Last edited by thinkdunson : 09-01-12 at 06:03 PM.

09-01-12, 06:04 PM   #24
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

thinkdunson, Carbonite is dying precisely because of all the features it has. Maintaining such a beast is a massive undertaking, and adding new features is a supreme headache.

There is a fan update on these boards, but it isn't working 100%, and realistically, Carbonite, for all its greatness, should be left to peacefully die in its sleep. Aside from the Google style maps, every other feature in Carbonite is duplicated in other addons that are specifically designed to only do that one thing, and do it well.

09-01-12, 06:22 PM   #25
Rythal
Featured Artist
Featured
TBH carbonite dying or not is irrelevant, I would never use Dugi's addon just because of this post. I personally find it very bad taste to go into another addon's forum just to say "Hey come use mine!".

That would be like walking into walmart and telling everyone walking in the door "hey you should shop at zellers instead."

09-01-12, 07:52 PM   #26
Talyrius
An Onyxian Warder

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post
TBH carbonite dying or not is irrelevant, I would never use Dugi's addon just because of this post. I personally find it very bad taste to go into another addon's forum just to say "Hey come use mine!".

That would be like walking into walmart and telling everyone walking in the door "hey you should shop at zellers instead."
That analogy isn't accurate, because the store is no longer open for business. The store closed without any explanation as to why or when, if ever, it might reopen. Meanwhile, the homeless have broken in and are living there.

09-01-12, 07:58 PM   #27
growlings
A Defias Bandit
I'm gonna have to disagree, Rythal. Carbonite is dead in the water. The authors have given up on the addon. These forums are swamped daily by people hoping for either A) the authors to return to Carbonite or B) for someone who has created a replacement (I'm in this group). TBH, I've been against fan updates for addons ever since LunarSphere was dropped by it's author and given to the community to fix. I loved that addon and after watching fans update it the entire thing became a mess and I had to let it go. In the end I just wished the author would've taken the addon with him when he left to save myself and others a lot of grief.

Basically I'm saying there's nothing wrong with Dugi coming here and trying to help people replace an addon that, for the time being, has reached the end of its life with no hope for future development. I should mention that although I disapprove of fan updates I do respect them for what they try to do- save a vital part of a player's gaming experience. Unless you can some how take over where the authors left off (which you've said you won't do which is obviously understandable) then the updates you implement will merely be band-aides prolonging the inevitable. Eventually you're going to hit a roadblock which will leave the addon broken thus discontinue the updates or you'll have to take more liberties with the code.

(I do not say any of the above to be condescending but merely an insight into fan updates and the roadblocks that most all succumb to) And this whole post was way longer than I intended to be.

09-01-12, 09:41 PM   #28
DugiGuides
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Rythal View Post

I don't mean any disrespect, I though it was ok because the addon are free.

That analogy would imply that I'm stealing paying customer but carbonite is also free.

09-01-12, 11:28 PM   #29
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
I don't think there is disrespect in offering another addon as an alternative. When Carbonite is fixed, or given up by the authors, then people can make their own decisions as to if they keep the alternatives etc.

As to saying if Carbonite is dead - the update hasn't even been out a week and people are proclaiming it's dead. They have been doing that the past bunch of major updates and each time the authors have come back and worked on it. Give them time to make a proper announcement and/or fix before assuming - otherwise you are like the many other people who are neigh-saying who silently eat their words later (and usually they say the same thing the next time there is a major update).

09-02-12, 12:26 AM   #30
kittykatmax
A Fallenroot Satyr

Originally Posted by DugiGuides View Post
I don't mean any disrespect, I thought it was ok because the addon are free.

That analogy would imply that I'm stealing paying customer but carbonite is also free.
I think it's safe to say that Carbonite is one of those addons that many people become so reliant upon (most particularly because of the awesome maps) that their emotions can't help but be involved.

If your post and people's responses (regarding how amazing the "Google" maps are) influence you to create an equivalent map, I will be eternally grateful. Carbonite offers/offered a ton of awesome features, but the map is THE feature I miss the most, as it's the one I've never been able to replace. No addon/combination of addons comes even close.

Over the years I have found Carbonite to be too unstable to use for very long. I would give Carbonite another try because I missed it so much but low fps, video stuttering issues (despite a high end gaming system) and a significant increase in game disconnects would drive me away again. I would be beyond thrilled if you could duplicate its functionality in your addon and hope you give it some serious thought.

09-02-12, 05:47 AM   #31
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Free, as in "free beer", not as in "free speech." Carbonite is copywrite-protected by the original authors. Technically, the fan update is breaking copyright law.

What I mean is, yes, all addons must be free to download and install, but most are not free as in "here, have at it." Someone pays for the beer, but gives it to you for at no cost. That someone owns the beer, not you.

09-02-12, 12:55 PM   #32
Chmee
A Molten Giant
Well, he can have his beer back when I'm done with it.

09-02-12, 01:15 PM   #33
Kreelor
A Firelord

Originally Posted by schizophrena View Post
I don't think there is disrespect in offering another addon as an alternative. When Carbonite is fixed, or given up by the authors, then people can make their own decisions as to if they keep the alternatives etc.

As to saying if Carbonite is dead - the update hasn't even been out a week and people are proclaiming it's dead. They have been doing that the past bunch of major updates and each time the authors have come back and worked on it. Give them time to make a proper announcement and/or fix before assuming - otherwise you are like the many other people who are neigh-saying who silently eat their words later (and usually they say the same thing the next time there is a major update).
You said (in part):
"Give them time to make a proper announcement and/or fix..........."
But, they fixed only one thing in the last update, nearly 4 months ago, as of today.

Change Log -- May 6, 2012
Changes: 4.301
-- Fixed warning that version is old.
I think that speaks volumes.

Last edited by Kreelor : 09-03-12 at 01:23 PM.

09-02-12, 04:21 PM   #34
schizophrena
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
Right, because up till Tuesday (5 days ago) things were still functional. These people have busy lives, to my knowledge they do not play WoW anymore (I believe they stated that a long time ago) except on occasions to test and fix the product.

So, give them time to do their busy lives - enjoy their labor day weekend and get to this when they have time. I don't blame them for not working on an addon on what is mine (and I assume theirs) long weekend. Nor do I blame them for not working on it the exact week or two after the update that breaks the add-on.

09-03-12, 10:46 AM   #35
lostdreamer
A Murloc Raider
Thanks for posting an alternative. I've used carbonite for....ages and find myself not wanting to play when it doesn't function. I've been looking for alternatives since probably January of 2011..after Cata was released and the drama that ensued with this not being updated quickly after/before cata launched.

I've never found anything really that could replace it. I'm going to test yours and see how it goes. Thanks!

09-03-12, 11:15 AM   #36
cowboy88340
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Carbonite Fan update

i have been using the fan update ever since it came out it is working ok steel a few bugs but for what i use carbonite for it is all good this is the link to the post for it http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=44031

09-04-12, 06:53 AM   #37
Simulo
A Fallenroot Satyr
Dugi, I wouldn't make a 'Google Maps', just use the 'Blizzard Map' like is shown in the screen shot showing the tracking ("Map Preview by pressing The Quest Button [...]"). This is simply because Blizzard adds to much to the world map. And to try and port those features over (like Archaeology!), took Carbonite forever.

I dunno what addon I use but I'm able to 'minimize' the fullscreen World Map and move it around...maybe Blizzard added that...or it could be Titan. The only issue is I can't zoom up on it so all the Gatherer Nodes, Dig Sites, and DMF Site are way to hard to see.

AND PLEASE, for the love of god keep it simple. If people want a 'warehouse' they can go get Bagnon or some other Bag Addon (most store alt bags). I want something that you do not dread needing to update.

09-06-12, 01:26 PM   #38
DugiGuides
A Murloc Raider

Originally Posted by Simulo View Post
Dugi, I wouldn't make a 'Google Maps', just use the 'Blizzard Map' like is shown in the screen shot showing the tracking ("Map Preview by pressing The Quest Button [...]"). This is simply because Blizzard adds to much to the world map. And to try and port those features over (like Archaeology!), took Carbonite forever.

I dunno what addon I use but I'm able to 'minimize' the fullscreen World Map and move it around...maybe Blizzard added that...or it could be Titan. The only issue is I can't zoom up on it so all the Gatherer Nodes, Dig Sites, and DMF Site are way to hard to see.

AND PLEASE, for the love of god keep it simple. If people want a 'warehouse' they can go get Bagnon or some other Bag Addon (most store alt bags). I want something that you do not dread needing to update.
The Map Preview feature in it was kind of our attempt to replace the carbonite map, because the main thing I like about Carbonite map is clicking the quest tracker and the minimap will zoom in/out to display the location of the quest.

Our map preview does similar thing except its not capable of doing the zoom in/out effect. Obviously this isn't enough and Carbonite map is more than that.

For people that don't know you can minimize the Blizzard World Map by clicking the downleft arrow button on the top right of your World Map and that should minimize it. Then you can unlock it by right clicking the top bar to move it around anywhere on your screen. The Map Preview feature will only work with the World Map minimized.

09-15-12, 03:58 AM   #39
eqsanctum
The Great Equalizer

Premium Member
well those are valuable feedbacks, perhaps sometime after MoP is released we'll try to add this feature.

The map and the quest tracker need to be able to work together and carbonite does this by using their own quest tracker and data. Otherwise all you have is the google map without any quest tracking information.

Creating the quest tracker data is I think the bulk of the work.. but if its possible data mine those information straight from the files then it would be much easier.

Ideally we would still use the Blizzard quest tracker itself.. as there's no sense in reinventing the wheel.
Negative ghost rider, proximity based quests, and having more then 10 quests on the screen are almost a given now-a-days. Reinvent the display of the quests. Forget blizzards ripoff.

Dig really hard into the questing portion of carbonite and you find more then simply a display of quests. 25 quests ( this should not be the limit either in default or otherwise i simply think its lazy coding imo, or shortsightedness ). Point is if I want to list my full quest log along with my entire list of achievement tracking I should be able to.

Blizzards quest tracker is a joke, write something better, re-invent the wheel, never stop doing better then what's in front of you. Just because it's been "the same way for 40 years son" doesn't it make it right, better, or faster.

Last edited by eqsanctum : 09-15-12 at 04:03 AM.

09-15-12, 08:15 AM   #40
Knaur
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

party sharing

Does ths addon also share my partymembers quests like carbonite did? cause thats one of the reasons i used carbonite, to help my wife in boosting quests, and her quests showed up in my quest list even if i didnt have the quest myself. this is a very usefull and important function for me when i boost quests alot with party members

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » Carbonite » Carbonite Archive » Carbonite Alternative for MoP