02-16-07, 01:24 PM   #101
Jelly
A Fallenroot Satyr
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I understand both sides. I've given this mod to people that have been less than happy about the 'gasm and then I've had people laugh for a while about it. I can also understand the people that are worried about getting reported about it. (Yes, I know that's already been covered)

While I love this mod and support it 100% (even to donate..), I do feel that it's wrong to stop production because people want to change the source code of an open source project that's using other people's code already incorporated with your own.

That said, I'll defend you to the grave simply because I love the addon that much. It's made my life easier on ALL of my characters because everything is organized moreso than I ever thought was possible. Not a day has gone by that I have not found something new with the UI and began to use it to ENHANCE my time spent playing WoW.

I really hope you reconsider your impending decision of not releasing updates for it and not let a couple rotten apples ruin the whole barrel.

I do however COMPLETELY agree with closing this thread. It's going nowhere and everyone's side has been made already. All this (mine included) is just fuel for the fire.

02-16-07, 01:43 PM   #102
mfrnka
Premium Member
I've been away from these threads for a bit, but, wow, what an interesting turns things have taken.

I'm a big fan of MazzleUI and, as a software developer, am extremely appreciative of the amount of time Mazzle put into this package.

The whole 'gasm' situation seems pretty simple...

Some percentage of users request the ability to turn off the gasms. Mazzle says he's not going to do that. I don't see telling someone they have no sense of humor, are not in the spirit, they should (or shouldn't) find 'gasm' offensive, development may stop, etc. changing anyone's mind. If you like it, you like it... if you don't, you don't.

Easy solution - users can either turn gasms off independently, maybe asking a friend for help with lua, or stop using the package if it's so bothersome.

02-16-07, 01:59 PM   #103
Zmidponk
A Kobold Labourer
OK, I've read some of the arguments over the 'mazzlegasms' and here's my view:

I downloaded this UI quite some time ago, tried it, was impressed at what it could do, impressed at how easy it was to configure, impressed in just about every way I could be impressed at a UI.

Then I bombarded the entire zone with a 'mazzlegasm'.

At that point, I uninstalled the UI, and I simply will not use it until this has an option to be turned off within the UI itself. Why? Simple - if a UI does something that I do not want it to do, I don't use it. I refuse to fart about trying to hack lua coding to fix something in a UI when I can just as easily uninstall it and use an alternative that doesn't include the unwanted 'feature', or cobble together several stand-alone mods to make my own UI. The 'mazzlegasms' are, in my opinion, a major, fatal flaw in an otherwise very impressive UI.

Now, as has already been said, this is done completely for free, and Mazzlefizz does not owe me, or anyone else, anything, so they are free to utterly ignore what I've typed if they so wish. However, without an option to deactivate the 'mazzlegasms' without hacking lua files, the popularity of this mod is going to be limited, so Mazzlefizz basically has to decide whether they're content with having this UI as is, complete with mazzlegasms, but with only limited popularity, or simply coding in a 'deactivate mazzlegasms' checkbox, and having the popularity of this UI significantly increase.

Last edited by Zmidponk : 02-16-07 at 02:03 PM.

02-16-07, 02:04 PM   #104
Psyche_Doomhammer
A Defias Bandit
Mazzle your insistence of not allowing people to turn this off is completely inconsistent with the point of UI Mods. It allows the users to tweak their UI to do what they want, not what someone else wants.

Further, your reaction to the patch executable which removes this from your code is ludicrous. At this point, your very attitude about the users you are serving has convinced me to steer clear of your Mods until you figure this out.

Your reaction to this is probably "OMG QQ MORE," but it has to be said.

02-16-07, 02:26 PM   #105
Luhar
A Murloc Raider
It really should be an option

First, this is the best addon (UI, compilation, whatever) that I've seen since I started playing WoW. Kudos to Mazzlefizz and his/her team.

I couldn't care less what my character emotes or shouts during the Mazzify process. I was too busy trying out all the goodies this addon gives me to worry about what was going on in the chat window.

But I've read what everybody's written about this and I've gotta say, not having the ability to enable/disable this "feature" goes against the spirit of MazzleUI--customization. Think about it... every single feature in this addon can be enabled/disabled except the "mazzlegasm".

I respectfully suggest you add the option to enable/disable it. Heck, there's already a 3rd party patcher and Iriel posted code that disables it. Why not just beat 'em at their own game, add the option, and diffuse this rapidly escalating situation? Rather than compromising your beliefs about this subject, I believe doing this would reinforce the spirit of the entire MazzleUI addon.

02-16-07, 02:47 PM   #106
Jelly
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Luhar
First, this is the best addon (UI, compilation, whatever) that I've seen since I started playing WoW. Kudos to Mazzlefizz and his/her team.

I couldn't care less what my character emotes or shouts during the Mazzify process. I was too busy trying out all the goodies this addon gives me to worry about what was going on in the chat window.

But I've read what everybody's written about this and I've gotta say, not having the ability to enable/disable this "feature" goes against the spirit of MazzleUI--customization. Think about it... every single feature in this addon can be enabled/disabled except the "mazzlegasm".

I respectfully suggest you add the option to enable/disable it. Heck, there's already a 3rd party patcher and Iriel posted code that disables it. Why not just beat 'em at their own game, add the option, and diffuse this rapidly escalating situation? Rather than compromising your beliefs about this subject, I believe doing this would reinforce the spirit of the entire MazzleUI addon.

QFT! I almost spit up on my keyboard from laughing when I realized that I had yelled something. The last paragraph = truth.

02-16-07, 02:55 PM   #107
trickdaemon
An Aku'mai Servant
/agree with luhar

02-16-07, 03:17 PM   #108
Gello
A Molten Giant
Please remove the Mazzlegasm or remove my mods ItemRack, TrinketMenu, TinyPad and Recap from this compilation. (Recap is questionable whether it's still my mod so it's your call there)

02-16-07, 03:29 PM   #109
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Psyche_Doomhammer
Mazzle your insistence of not allowing people to turn this off is completely inconsistent with the point of UI Mods. It allows the users to tweak their UI to do what they want, not what someone else wants.
I absolutely did not tell people they shouldn't tweak or modify whatever they want as they see fit, including my code. It's their computer and their UI. I simply took issue with people redistributing it or posting patches.

02-16-07, 03:43 PM   #110
Nymbia
A Fallenroot Satyr
Before waving around the copyright violation stick, you may want to take a quick gander at the licenses of many of the addons that your package includes, and the restrictions that those place on packages that redistribute them.

In regards to the GPL addons within your package (at a quick glance, BugSack, Cartographer, FuBar, Prat..)
b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

Edited to not be so hostile, that's what I get for attempting to reply to flames and address mazzle in the same post.

Last edited by Nymbia : 02-16-07 at 04:36 PM.

02-16-07, 03:47 PM   #111
Mazzlefizz
A Pyroguard Emberseer

Originally Posted by Gello
Please remove the Mazzlegasm or remove my mods ItemRack, TrinketMenu, TinyPad and Recap from this compilation. (Recap is questionable whether it's still my mod so it's your call there)
*sigh* Well, I'm a little disappointed you would take this route, rather than simply contacting me, but ok, as you wish.

Unlike some of these people, I'm going to choose to value your wishes over my selfish desire to have things as I want them. I really enjoy your add-ons, and I think you deserve it. If I choose to continue with this project, I won't package the add-ons you cited with them. And I'll remove the current download and repost it without it.

02-16-07, 03:49 PM   #112
PurpleWedgie
An Aku'mai Servant
I've been watching this brew-ha-ha build for awhile and I must say it's stubbornness on *both* sides causing the escalation. It's really too bad as this is the hands-down most complete and user-friendly compilation I've used and I've been happy to recommend it to others.

That said, I've stopped using the compilation for 2 reasons. First and foremost I *love* tweaking my interface, updating mods to the bleeding edge, and generally customizing at a whim but I'm feeling very bound by some of the hard-coded features of Mazzle (this is the nature of the beast and I understand completely). Second, and this kind of goes along with the first, is that Mazzle doesn't seem very willing or happy to work with the community to allow for flexibility/changes, meaning that long-term I'd be forced to conform to the Mazzlegasm or stop using the mod anyway. I've chosen to stop now as it seems the most prudent course of action for me.

Bottom line on this issue is that users need to decide if the mod is worthwhile as-is, including the 'gasm, and either use it or not. Don't beat up Mazzle for what he will or will not change, it's his/her sole discretion what is included in his release. There are other compilations out there to choose from (although not as complete, sexy, or friendly). Also, other coders should have the decency not to snag the Mazzle code for themselves, more for honor reasons than anything else as I'm pretty sure Copyright laws aren't in play here.

Anyway, my 2c worth on the subject....

02-16-07, 03:54 PM   #113
Jelly
A Fallenroot Satyr
Originally Posted by Mazzlefizz
*sigh* Well, I'm a little disappointed you would take this route, rather than simply contacting me, but ok, as you wish.

Unlike some of these people, I'm going to choose to value your wishes over my selfish desire to have things as I want them. I really enjoy your add-ons, and I think you deserve it. If I choose to continue with this project, I won't package the add-ons you cited with them. And I'll remove the current download and repost it without it.
I'm confused. If you're going to, as you put it, choose to value his wishes over your own selfish desire to have things the way you want them, wouldn't it take less than an hour to ass a simple check box to kill the Mazzlegasm and then leave his Addons in there along with everything as it is...just with the option to kill the yell? As I've stated before, I don't know much if anything about coding Lua but it seems like this would be a simple thing and would be a win-win situation.

02-16-07, 03:59 PM   #114
Verissi
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Psyche_Doomhammer
Actually, this statement is false, although I do understand the sentiment behind it. The point of being able to modify the interface that Blizzard provided is as you have stated, but the work done within the LUA framework by the add-on authors is not. By installing an add-on, you are actually allowing other people's work to do what they wanted when they designed their add-on...it just happens to be congruous with what you also wanted by choosing it. My point is not to fuel the philosophical debate, however, so I'll leave that subject.

Personally, I found the Mazzlegasm to be quite silly and funny, which got a good-natured laugh from more than just me on a few occasions (several in the zone sent me some funny whispers). Being a light-to-moderate RPer, though, it just isn't in-character for any of my WoW representations to yell and such. Instead of an "OMGWTF" responce or even resorting to popping open my editor of choice to alter the UI code (both of which I can easily accomplish), I thought creatively on ways to work around it that I would like to share for those who find Mazzlegasms distasteful, offencive, or just out-of-character for you:

* Hop on a gryphon/windrider (flying mounts do NOT work for this) - You cannot yell or emote while flying, so the actions trigger, but your character is incapable of performing them.
* Pop into an instance by yourself - Stockades works great for Alliance, as does Ragefire Chasm for Horde folks (both located in major cities)...or you could just hop in whatever is nearby. The Mazzifier window can be dragged so that you can see to navigate (or closed and later reopened by typing /mazzify) until you get where you want to be.
* Run waaaay far away from everyone - I've done this on my lower-level alts once or twice, but since I haven't established much of an RP identity with them so I don't care much.
* Mazzify while dead - As stated before, characters are unable to emote or yell while dead. Please be mindful of your gear condition when doing this. If repair bills bother you, unequip your gear first or die in a PvP situation.

My goal in sharing these is not to end the discussion/debate or add anything to either side's argument, but rather to encourage the use of some alternatives for those who love Mazzle's work, yet find the Mazzlegasm to be something that they're not comfortable with for whatever reason. To me, there are more choices than "live with it, uninstall it, or demand that the UI be modified".

02-16-07, 04:08 PM   #115
Auralei
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by Verissi
Actually, this statement is false, although I do understand the sentiment behind it. The point of being able to modify the interface that Blizzard provided is as you have stated, but the work done within the LUA framework by the add-on authors is not. By installing an add-on, you are actually allowing other people's work to do what they wanted when they designed their add-on...it just happens to be congruous with what you also wanted by choosing it. My point is not to fuel the philosophical debate, however, so I'll leave that subject.

Personally, I found the Mazzlegasm to be quite silly and funny, which got a good-natured laugh from more than just me on a few occasions (several in the zone sent me some funny whispers). Being a light-to-moderate RPer, though, it just isn't in-character for any of my WoW representations to yell and such. Instead of an "OMGWTF" responce or even resorting to popping open my editor of choice to alter the UI code (both of which I can easily accomplish), I thought creatively on ways to work around it that I would like to share for those who find Mazzlegasms distasteful, offencive, or just out-of-character for you:

* Hop on a gryphon/windrider (flying mounts do NOT work for this) - You cannot yell or emote while flying, so the actions trigger, but your character is incapable of performing them.
* Pop into an instance by yourself - Stockades works great for Alliance, as does Ragefire Chasm for Horde folks (both located in major cities)...or you could just hop in whatever is nearby. The Mazzifier window can be dragged so that you can see to navigate (or closed and later reopened by typing /mazzify) until you get where you want to be.
* Run waaaay far away from everyone - I've done this on my lower-level alts once or twice, but since I haven't established much of an RP identity with them so I don't care much.
* Mazzify while dead - As stated before, characters are unable to emote or yell while dead. Please be mindful of your gear condition when doing this. If repair bills bother you, unequip your gear first or die in a PvP situation.

My goal in sharing these is not to end the discussion/debate or add anything to either side's argument, but rather to encourage the use of some alternatives for those who love Mazzle's work, yet find the Mazzlegasm to be something that they're not comfortable with for whatever reason. To me, there are more choices than "live with it, uninstall it, or demand that the UI be modified".

Well, in theory, those are all nice ideas for dealing with the yell, however, there should be no reason to have to just put up with it and jump through flaming hoops of kerosene just to use this package. Although, hypothetically, what if the person did not know that Mazzlegasm was coming?? New to the UI and all never having read this forum. It's a stretch but I'll bet you dollars to donuts it's happened. So they're standing in the middle of a nice crowded Ironforge and the Mazzlegasm goes off, causing many irate yells in return maybe, perhaps, a tell or two, and perhaps they get reported. Not fair to the user, not fair at all. Some people just don't find it cute, funny or anything of the sort, some think it's downright tactless. Subjecting an entire zone to that yell, lucky lucky them....

02-16-07, 04:12 PM   #116
Tissa
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by odiusXpopulis
I'm confused. If you're going to, as you put it, choose to value his wishes over your own selfish desire to have things the way you want them, wouldn't it take less than an hour to ass a simple check box to kill the Mazzlegasm and then leave his Addons in there along with everything as it is...just with the option to kill the yell? As I've stated before, I don't know much if anything about coding Lua but it seems like this would be a simple thing and would be a win-win situation.

But the bottom line is who are we to tell Mazz what they should do with their mod. It is their mod, they put all the work into it. We have the option to use or not use. I am sadden to see a mod author go the route that they did. Does this mean that if I have a problem with their mod they will change it because I demand that it be done my way?

I want to thank Mazz for all their hard work and I am sorry that some in the community have cause Mazz so much grief instead of being humans and making their choice that if they don't like something not to use it, instead of demanding something that someone made be redone just because they don't approve of it.

Personally I hope Mazz continues as I am grateful full all their hard work that allows me to enjoy the game more. I personally will not use Item rack or any mod associated with the author that thinks it is fine to bully someone into doing things their way. I think that it is disgraceful that another mod author that knows what amount of time, work and effort that goes into building a mod would be on the band wagon of you have to change your work because *I* think that you should. And again I will back my words with my beliefs and not use any mod that the author has done.

Mazz I would recomend one of the other mods for items. Personally I really enjoyed closetgnome... it was really cute and worked well.

People we need to realize that it is ultimately Mazzle's toy, and they were nice enough to bust their ass to put out a mod of this level. If you don't like the Mazzlegasm just uninstall the mod and find one that better suits you. But to post some of the things I have seen reminds me of a 2 year old throwing a tantrum in a store because they didn't get their way.

02-16-07, 04:15 PM   #117
trickdaemon
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by Gello
...Are you serious? :| Why would you ever do this? He wasn't harming them.

02-16-07, 04:18 PM   #118
Nzomniak
A Defias Bandit
I really don't like the direction this thread has taken ... why can't we all just get along

02-16-07, 04:19 PM   #119
Auralei
A Cyclonian

Originally Posted by Tissa
I personally will not use Item rack or any mod associated with the author that thinks it is fine to bully someone into doing things their way. I think that it is disgraceful that another mod author that knows what amount of time, work and effort that goes into building a mod would be on the band wagon of you have to change your work because *I* think that you should. And again I will back my words with my beliefs and not use any mod that the author has done.

Are you serious?!?!?! Your entire post was in support of an author who bullies people to do things their way! Holy hypocritical, Batman!!!

02-16-07, 04:28 PM   #120
Psyche_Doomhammer
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by Nymbia
Before waving around the copyright violation stick, you may want to take a quick gander at the licenses of many of the addons that your package includes, and the restrictions that those place on packages that redistribute them.

Here's a not so subtle hint with relation to the GPL addons within your package (at a quick glance, BugSack, Cartographer, FuBar, Prat..)http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

Since you're such a stalwart defender of copyright laws, and will doubtless comply with the terms of these licenses, then it follows that redistributions and modifications of your code are perfectly legal as well.
I believe that this warrants a response from Mazzle.

It would seem to me that inclusion of GPL addons dictates his compilation also be released under the GPL which would in turn allow others to redistribute this compilation in a modified or unmodified state without Mazzle's express permission so long as Mazzle is given credit for his work.

If this is not something Mazzle is not willing to deal with, he should remove this compilation immediately.

Last edited by Psyche_Doomhammer : 02-16-07 at 04:41 PM.

WoWInterface » AddOns, Compilations, Macros » AddOn Help/Support » MazzleGASM FAQ