03-08-09, 02:41 PM   #1
Orb
An Aku'mai Servant
Exclamation "using cooldown for this" message in chat frame...

Often in my chat window, I get the following message.. I never noticed it before nUI so I think it's from it?

"using cooldown for this" ..

Any clue where this comes from / how to remove it from posting to the chat window?

Thanks

03-08-09, 02:51 PM   #2
spiel2001
nUI's Author

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
nUI would not be the one that's doing that. What you're going to need to do is to try and isolate which mod it is that is producing that message by disabling mods. It's pretty easy to do.

Start by disabling 1/2 of the mods you have installed, then log in and see if the message still prints.

If it does still print, then disable 1/2 of what you still have enabled and log back in again to see if it went away. If not, disable 1/2 again and repeat.

If the message does go away, then enable 1/2 of the mods you just disabled and log back in to see if it came back. If it doesn't, enable 1/2 again and so on. If it does come back, you disable half of what you just enabled and repeat.

You just keep enabling or disabling 1/2 of the group you last changed based on whether the message came back or didn't come back and keep repeating until you get to the mod that is causing the problem.

This divide and conquer approach can very quickly hit on the problem mod no matter how many mods you have installed... even 200 mods shouldn't take more than six or seven tries before you get to the one mod that caused it.

What people don't get is that I am, ultimately, an artist at heart.
My brush has two colors, 1 and 0, and my canvas is made of silicon.

Official nUI Web Site: http://www.nUIaddon.com
Official nUI Support Forum: http://forums.nUIaddon.com
My day job: http://www.presidio.com/

03-08-09, 02:53 PM   #3
Orb
An Aku'mai Servant
Okay, thanks.. one other quick question.

I've noticed that sometimes for talent builds, it gets the wrong class. ie: I'm looking at a shaman right now that nUI is insisting is retribution.. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that it means restoration. Is this a known issue?

03-08-09, 02:57 PM   #4
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Which version of nUI are you running?

This was a known issue in prior versions, but I had thought it was fixed as no one has reported that in a very long time.

And, no, it's not a case of mistaking retribution for restoration... nUI gets the build title directly from WoW. It's a case of a query having been started to get a player's build and then the raid roster or your target changing before it was complete and the new raid member/target gets assigned the other character's build when it shouldn't have.

03-08-09, 02:59 PM   #5
Anjalena
Mess-maker!

I have the same text that appears.. "using cooldown for this". Been too lazy and sick to bother trying to fix it. Even my Auctioneer isn't working right, which frustrates me. But not enough to bother with it right now. *laugh*

Man, 2 months of being sick is just too much! Blech.

Hey, if you figure out which addon is doing this, lemme know. This is my ingenious "lazy woman's" way of finding out the answer to this mystery. *giggle*

03-08-09, 03:16 PM   #6
Orb
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
Which version of nUI are you running?

This was a known issue in prior versions, but I had thought it was fixed as no one has reported that in a very long time.

And, no, it's not a case of mistaking retribution for restoration... nUI gets the build title directly from WoW. It's a case of a query having been started to get a player's build and then the raid roster or your target changing before it was complete and the new raid member/target gets assigned the other character's build when it shouldn't have.
I use 5.0.3. I also use Parrot which pulls the build as well, and that seems to be accurate. And yeah, it looks like the entire build is pulling is inaccurate, just not the title.

03-08-09, 03:23 PM   #7
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Ah ha!

You *CANNOT* use two mods that pull build at the same time. Can't be done. That's why you're getting bad data.

It has to do with how Bliz built the inspection engine... I have to request an inspection and wait for Bliz to notify me it is ready before I can read it. However, if you have another mod that is also asking for inspections, then whichever one asked last is the only one that knows which build is being read.

For example... a new players joins your raid, so nUI ask WoW to inspect the player's talent tree and starts waiting for WoW to say the data is ready to read. While we're waiting, you change targets or another player joins the raid. nUI sees that and adds it to the queue of builds it needs to inspect, but it doesn't ask for the build yet because it is still waiting for the response to the first request.

Meanwhile, your other mod has no idea what nUI is doing. So, when you changed targets, or the second player joined the raid, it did its own thing and asked for that player's build. But nUI has *no* way of knowing that happened. Because the other mod made a new request, Bliz throws away the one that nUI asked for and goes off to get the one the other mod asked for... when when that's ready it sends out the event.

nUI sees the event and says "oh... my read is ready" and reads the player's build. Only the build it is reading is the one that the other mod asked for, not the one it asked for and wham... the data is all messed up.

No no no... you CANNOT have two mods doing build inspections at the same time.

03-08-09, 03:29 PM   #8
Orb
An Aku'mai Servant
Originally Posted by spiel2001 View Post
Ah ha!

You *CANNOT* use two mods that pull build at the same time. Can't be done. That's why you're getting bad data.

It has to do with how Bliz built the inspection engine... I have to request an inspection and wait for Bliz to notify me it is ready before I can read it. However, if you have another mod that is also asking for inspections, then whichever one asked last is the only one that knows which build is being read.

For example... a new players joins your raid, so nUI ask WoW to inspect the player's talent tree and starts waiting for WoW to say the data is ready to read. While we're waiting, you change targets or another player joins the raid. nUI sees that and adds it to the queue of builds it needs to inspect, but it doesn't ask for the build yet because it is still waiting for the response to the first request.

Meanwhile, your other mod has no idea what nUI is doing. So, when you changed targets, or the second player joined the raid, it did its own thing and asked for that player's build. But nUI has *no* way of knowing that happened. Because the other mod made a new request, Bliz throws away the one that nUI asked for and goes off to get the one the other mod asked for... when when that's ready it sends out the event.

nUI sees the event and says "oh... my read is ready" and reads the player's build. Only the build it is reading is the one that the other mod asked for, not the one it asked for and wham... the data is all messed up.

No no no... you CANNOT have two mods doing build inspections at the same time.
Okay, thanks.

I meant Cowtip, not Parrot, but I can remove the lines from the mouseover that involve talent build, let's see if that helps.

Is it possible to have nUI display the "Talent Build" display whenever you mouse over someone? I notice this is the case if you mouse over their portrait if they're targeted, but not the case if you just mouse over a random person in the world.

Last edited by Orb : 03-08-09 at 03:32 PM.

03-08-09, 03:32 PM   #9
ewaybevinn
A Fallenroot Satyr

The "using cooldown for this" is (for me at least) is a byproduct of using arkinventory along with nUI. I can only reproduce it with nUI and arkinventory running and by pressing the "b" to open your bags.

This is also active in 5.0

Hope this narrows it down.

edit: it does not happen every time, it seems to be random

edit: my spelling is horrible

"Every time you stand in the fire, your Raid Leader dies a little inside" - Unknown

Last edited by ewaybevinn : 03-08-09 at 05:01 PM.

03-08-09, 04:58 PM   #10
gman265
Premium Member

Originally Posted by ewaybevinn View Post
The "useing cooldown for this" is (for me at least) is a byproduct of useing arkinventory along with nUI. I can only reproduce it with nUI and arkinventory running and by pressing the "b" to open your bags.

I agree with your conclusion. I tracked down this random message months ago. It does happen randomly and will only happen when using both NUI and Arkinventory. Oddly enough, it will not happen if either addon is disabled.

Gman

03-08-09, 10:13 PM   #11
trezy
A Cliff Giant
Originally Posted by ewaybevinn View Post
The "using cooldown for this" is (for me at least) is a byproduct of using arkinventory along with nUI. I can only reproduce it with nUI and arkinventory running and by pressing the "b" to open your bags.

edit: my spelling is horrible
This was happening for me as well but I was not using ArkInventory, I was using Baggins. Just thought I'd point that out.

03-09-09, 11:54 AM   #12
FluffyCow
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Just wanted to pop in and say that I recieve the same issue using ArkInventory as well. If I had ever gotten off my ass and learned some LUA I'd check and see what function in either addon is causing the message to appear. If only WoW addons were written in a language I knew, heh..

03-09-09, 08:42 PM   #13
Intravires
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I get the same thing all the time. I only have NUI/DMB/Chatter/Recount installed...not a big deal i usealy just close it, and reopen it and it fixes it.

03-10-09, 08:07 AM   #14
Shammah
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
Often in my chat window, I get the following message.. I never noticed it before nUI so I think it's from it?

"using cooldown for this" ..

Any clue where this comes from / how to remove it from posting to the chat window?

Thanks
I am having this issue as well. It hasn't bothered me enough to go to the trouble of tracking it down though.

The message does seem to appear at random. But I haven't done any testing to see what action(s) are causing it.

I do have ArkInventory and Chatter installed.

03-10-09, 04:26 PM   #15
Anjalena
Mess-maker!

Wink

I also have DBM, Recount, and Chatter. I don't think it's DBM and Recount has code to integrate it into nUI. And since the last 3 of us have Chatter, I'm wondering if that's the culprit. Anyone wanna check? =)

03-10-09, 08:39 PM   #16
FluffyCow
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
I have Recount installed as well, but I know for a fact that hitting B with arkinventory activated it causes the message

03-10-09, 11:14 PM   #17
Petrah
A Pyroguard Emberseer

I see the message, too.

Out of what's been listed so far, I have Baggins and Recount.

03-11-09, 12:12 AM   #18
spiel2001
nUI's Author

Found it...

It's actually in nUI... old debugging code (that I apparently forgot to remove) that prints for something that should never happen but apparently some of these mods causes to occur.

I'll make sure the message is removed in the next update.

03-12-09, 12:06 PM   #19
Anjalena
Mess-maker!

Thumbs up

Cool! Thanks Scott. =) (apparently you're too sneaky for your own good *giggle* Oooh! I bet you didn't see it cuz of all that "organized clutter" *snicker*)

Last edited by Anjalena : 03-12-09 at 12:07 PM. Reason: funneh

WoWInterface » Featured Projects » nUI, MozzFullWorldMap and PartySpotter » Support » nUI: Technical Support » "using cooldown for this" message in chat frame...