08-01-07, 03:37 AM   #1
zathriel
An Aku'mai Servant
mage PvP

i've got a 70gnome mage with frost/arcane talents and have rarely PvP'd so like the paladin in the other post i thought i would ask for some tips and whether it would be better to switch to fire forbetter results.
i find against locks n shadow priests i got dotted very fast and feared and my ice bolts take to long to fire off. i was in combat around HH , it was a melee situation with warriors , locks , rogues , priests and mages on the horde side and the warrior i was trying to tag kept running out of range of my bolts , my nova did not slow down the rogue that came after me and i kept getting feared
in the end i resorted to arcane bolts just to get some hits and two part kills
08-01-07, 05:24 AM   #2
tardmrr
Lua Ninja
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Deep frost is by far the most effective mage pvp spec. I currently use 0/7/54 and love it. For playstyle tips, you should check out some pvp videos; there's loads. A good one to start with is "I suck at pvp."
08-01-07, 05:31 AM   #3
WaldoJeffers
A Molten Giant

To see a good frost mage in action type "Faxmonkey" just in google you should get loads of results for him. I myself was much happier in deep fire with 17 points in arcane for imp counterspell as it suits my aggressive style, my somewhat brainless playstyle is rather enjoyable on ally zerging at av, i go invis and suicide aoe my way through tehe, looks nice on the score boards :P but yea , check faxmonkey

Last edited by WaldoJeffers : 08-01-07 at 05:39 AM.
08-01-07, 08:49 AM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
It depends on what kind of pvp you'll be doing... For arenas, frost is the way to go - survivability is key and you can really piss off the opposing team by freezing/slowing them. Anywhere else, though, I think it depends on your playstyle... Each tree has a way to slow down your opponents (Slow, Dragon's Breath, etc). Frost gives you more survivability, Fire gives you more damage. There aren't too many arcane specced pvp mages though. I personally spec to frost for pvp. But I know of some arcane mages who love it for pvp and are successful with it.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-01-07, 09:26 AM   #5
laxrocks
A Murloc Raider
hoow i use the mods on a mac

yo how do i get a mode on the game on the mac not the pc or use the the mods
08-01-07, 09:58 AM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
hmm? It says you're an author yet you don't know how to install mods?
http://www.wowinterface.com/forums/faq.php?

edit: It seems we answered this exact same question for you 2 months ago.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

08-04-07, 06:16 AM   #7
Persen
A Fallenroot Satyr
Alot of arena mages specc for PoM, AP and Spell Power along with pyroblast, and then get as much +crit as possible. This is imo a tard build, but it seems to work decently since this kind of mage is sought after for arena teams.
A deep fire mage (fireball-style) is great for big battles when you can burn the others without getting hit, and with dragonbreath and blastwave you have a decent survivability v. rogues and such.
Deep frost (atleast 41pts) rules the 1v1 fights, you get great survivability and high burst dmg... Frostbolt as long as you can, then nova and lances until it breaks, try to get away (throw some instants) or Elemental's Freeze and lance more - this is one of the fastest killers for enemies with little HP!
08-04-07, 08:03 AM   #8
zathriel
An Aku'mai Servant
its rare to get in on a fight 1v1 , so many horde on my server travel in pairs.
i saw a 70 bloodelf mage go to attack a low lock so i went to intervene , little knowing she was accompanied by a shadow priest , i well n truly got hammered.
i rarely see fights where the alli outnumber horde except in SW or IF

WoWInterface » General Discussion » Class Discussions » mage PvP