10-23-05, 11:12 PM   #1
WinHack
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Help with debugging(?)

So I am off and writing my mod, and I am coming upon a difficulty. Every so often, I get an error of some kind (from WoW) in my localization.lua file. When I get an error in my mod's .LUA file, I get a message box with an ok button and some text telling me which line was the offender, etc. Usually, I can figure out what I did.

However, when there is an error in my localization.lua file (in the same directory as my mod files), I get the same message box, but the text does not wrap, so I see "Interface\AddOns\modname\localization.l..." and that's it. No text wrap, so I cannot see the offending line.

This would be easier if there were a pre-compiler I could use, but from what I've read, it seems that most of the IDEs are in alpha/beta/not really fully working yet. I am using B:Lua because it closely mirrors the MS VS.NET environment (different files open on different tabs, etc.), though I've downloaded SciTe LUA as well.

So I guess the smaller question is: how do I find out what is wrong with my localization.lua file from within WoW, and the bigger question is: Is there a better environment than what I am working with that could detect these errors earlier?

Any help is appreciated.
10-24-05, 01:32 AM   #2
Gorak
A Fallenroot Satyr
SciTE has an in-built LUA interpreter that can detect outright syntax errors in the code. However, it cannot detect problems with indexing tables, or others which only happen in run-time behaviour (loading in-game variables or using API functions incorrectly)

However, to redeem the issue with the error text not wrapping, here is a small script command that can be executed inside World of Warcraft by typing it to the edit box's prompt. To open the prompt, press Enter inside the game, just like you were chatting with someone.

/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage( tostring(ScriptErrors_Message:GetText()) );

What this script does is it reads the currently open error message (the dialog box with no text wrapping) and pastes it it's whole contents to your chat frame. You can then read the whole error message and act upon it accordingly.

EDIT: You can paint the script text with mouse, then use copy-paste to move the script as is into the edit box. Yes, copy & paste DO work inside World of Warcraft. Make use of this feature.
10-24-05, 09:39 AM   #3
WinHack
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Thank you very much. Out of curiosity, do you (or anyone for that matter) have any idea why this functionality is somewhat brain-damaged within the WoW client to begin with?

And yes: after running the SciTe compiler and executor (thank you for that tip again), I did in fact find my errors. Two devious little concatenates that I totally missed when moving them from the mod code proper to the localization file.
10-25-05, 10:47 PM   #4
Gorak
A Fallenroot Satyr
The error text not wrapping is a bug.

It'll be fixed for client version 1.8.1., which is already live in US, and should be live in here after this week's maintenance as well.
10-26-05, 09:56 AM   #5
WinHack
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Saw this in the patch notes last night. Thank you for your responses, Gorak.
10-27-05, 12:34 AM   #6
Elkano
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
You may also use ImprovedErrorFrame (-> http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php?addid=170 ). It catches the error message into its own window from which you can also c&p. But check the comments for some 1.8 related fixes.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Help with debugging(?)