Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
10-23-05, 11:12 PM   #1
WinHack
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Help with debugging(?)

So I am off and writing my mod, and I am coming upon a difficulty. Every so often, I get an error of some kind (from WoW) in my localization.lua file. When I get an error in my mod's .LUA file, I get a message box with an ok button and some text telling me which line was the offender, etc. Usually, I can figure out what I did.

However, when there is an error in my localization.lua file (in the same directory as my mod files), I get the same message box, but the text does not wrap, so I see "Interface\AddOns\modname\localization.l..." and that's it. No text wrap, so I cannot see the offending line.

This would be easier if there were a pre-compiler I could use, but from what I've read, it seems that most of the IDEs are in alpha/beta/not really fully working yet. I am using B:Lua because it closely mirrors the MS VS.NET environment (different files open on different tabs, etc.), though I've downloaded SciTe LUA as well.

So I guess the smaller question is: how do I find out what is wrong with my localization.lua file from within WoW, and the bigger question is: Is there a better environment than what I am working with that could detect these errors earlier?

Any help is appreciated.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Help with debugging(?)