03-13-16, 02:28 PM   #1
PhatsoTGT
A Defias Bandit

Lightbulb Project xUI - Developing a Framework to centralize skins! Ask. for Feedback

So i made a little conceptual Drawing today.

Basically the idea is that i am really tired of being tied to the proprietary Software that comes with Whole Interface Frameworks like ElvUI etc.

That's why i thought... most of the UI is determined by FrameXML's default textures... which you can just override in the interface folder. But that doesn't really help as that's a pretty radical solution that doesn't really offer an easy way for Users to use this kind of UI Customization.

As said in the drawing i was working on exporting all relevant UI elements that used a texture file and what subregion of said texture files belongs to what elements. I have the raw data exported now and plan to make a little documentation during the next week.

I am at the same time also working on a proof of concept, coding the bare skeleton of the proposed Framework Addon.

So what i am asking you is to give me a little feedback of what you think of this Concept, if you'd be interested to produce Designs for it.... you get the idea
03-14-16, 08:09 AM   #2
Folji
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'd definitely be interested and wanting to use it, but what would be the general idea here? Is the idea for designers who don't want to start from scratch, to leverage the framework and apply custom stylization to UI elements instead of having to write all the code from scratch?

Like, say, this is the Minimap and it should be this big, the mask should be this, the zone text should be visible, placed here, use this font, and so forth? Is the addon skinning xUI essentially supposed to tell different UI elements how to look without having to code from scratch?
03-15-16, 04:43 AM   #3
PhatsoTGT
A Defias Bandit

Originally Posted by Folji View Post
Like, say, this is the Minimap and it should be this big, the mask should be this, the zone text should be visible, placed here, use this font, and so forth? Is the addon skinning xUI essentially supposed to tell different UI elements how to look without having to code from scratch?

Eventually yes.

My initial focus will be offering a lightweight library for replacing default UI textures.

The longterm idea is packaging a coherent styleset in one Skin Addon.
So naturally that includes offering a Framework for profile Injection into other Addons.
That way you could subsequently add style recommendations for Skada, UnitFrames like Pitbull or Shadowed Unitframes, DBM/BigWigs.... you get the Idea.

EDIT: Forgot positioning... yes. Also: xUI is just a project title. i'm open to better naming.

Last edited by PhatsoTGT : 03-16-16 at 03:19 AM.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Project xUI - Developing a Framework to centralize skins! Ask. for Feedback