02-20-09, 01:30 AM   #1
weaselSR
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
SendAddonMessage?

I have a slight issue with my mod atm and I'm hoping somebody can help as it's just slightly out of my programming capabilities.

Basically my mod automatically replies to specific keywords in Trade, however there is so many of us using the mod now that it creates spam due to 5-10 people automatically replying to the keyword at the same time.

I'd like to lessen the resulting spam so I'm wondering if there's some way I can have the addons communicate with each other so only one person will respond. I'd like to use a hidden channel as this way the sync will be global instead of guild/raid/party only as is my understanding with SendAddonMessage().

Here's my (modified) lua below. (Slakah, you might recognize some of it )
Code:
local rswears = 80;	-- 80%

local swears = { "swear1", "swear2" }

local time

local function CheckMsgMatch(msg, chatType, channel) 
local cooldown = (math.random(40, 70));
local roll = (math.random(1, 100));

-- SWEARS	
	for _, v in ipairs(swears) do
		if strmatch(strlower(msg), strlower(v))	then
			if not time or GetTime() > time then
				SendChatMessage("reported",chatType, nil, channel)
				DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("[Match:(" .. arg2 .. ": " .. strlower(v) .. ") CD:(" .. cooldown .. ") Roll:(" .. roll .. ")]", 0.0, 1.0, 0.0);
				time = floor(GetTime()) + cooldown
				return
			end
		end
	end
end

local f = CreateFrame("Frame")
f:RegisterEvent("CHAT_MSG_CHANNEL")
f:RegisterEvent("CHAT_MSG_BATTLEGROUND") 
f:SetScript("OnEvent", function (self, event, msg, arg2, _, _, _, _, _, channel, channame)
	if (ReportedDB.MonitorTrade == true) then
		if (event == "CHAT_MSG_CHANNEL") and (channame == "Trade - City") then
			CheckMsgMatch(msg, "CHANNEL", channel)
		end
	end
end)
02-20-09, 09:57 AM   #2
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
SendAddOnMessage() only works with the hidden addon comm channel, which only communicates between guild/group. If you want it to be more widespread than that, then you'll need to create a new chat channel, make sure it stays hidden from the user, use SendChatMessage() and have your addon monitor that channel, etc, etc. It's a pain in the butt, so I hear. But that's the extent of my knowledge.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-20-09, 10:06 AM   #3
Tuhljin
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

You can also send addon messages over the WHISPER channel, but then of course you'd have to have a way to know which players to whisper.
02-20-09, 10:14 AM   #4
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I knew I was forgetting one.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

02-20-09, 10:20 AM   #5
weaselSR
A Murloc Raider
Yeah that's the limitation I wanted to avoid, and thought I could use SendChatMessage() to a "hidden" channel that would communicate the needed data but I couldn't find a mod that uses anything similar to look over.
02-20-09, 11:35 AM   #6
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
That's mainly because when SendAddOnMessage became available, most authors switched to using that. But I'm sure there's still something out there that uses it.

02-20-09, 12:21 PM   #7
Akryn
A Firelord
A really old version of CTRA?
02-20-09, 01:34 PM   #8
weaselSR
A Murloc Raider
What about just joining a channel, and then getting the list of names from the channel and using that in combination with SendAddonMessage() WHISPER?
02-20-09, 01:51 PM   #9
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
You'd still need to create that channel and have users be in that channel, thus defeating the purpose.

02-20-09, 05:54 PM   #10
Tuhljin
A Flamescale Wyrmkin

Originally Posted by weaselSR View Post
What about just joining a channel, and then getting the list of names from the channel and using that in combination with SendAddonMessage() WHISPER?
I wrote a library that gets a list of users from a chat channel, then sends addon whispers to all its members. Only users with your addon will whisper back, and those that do get added to an internal list of people to whisper. I use it with my addon ZoneDefense. (The library doesn't actually join the channel for you, though, since that's not its purpose.) But, as Seerah said, if you don't want to use a chat channel at all, this might not be ideal for you. It's useful for me because even though it doesn't eliminate using a channel, it at least lets you use that channel for normal communication still, and not everyone in the channel needs to have your addon.
02-21-09, 05:28 AM   #11
weaselSR
A Murloc Raider
Using the chat channel is fine either way as it can be hidden fairly easily, I was just trying to think of a good way to get the list of people using the mod and being able to use the simpler method of SendAddonMessage() at the same time.
02-21-09, 01:04 PM   #12
twobits
An Aku'mai Servant
Have it wait a random # of seconds, then have it look for other versions of itself to have replied in the time frame, that way its own messages are the IPC.

WoWInterface » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » SendAddonMessage?